Note to New Members ×

New Burton clip-in bindings

ITALIAN_MARC

On 5/18/2017 at 7:14 PM, ITALIAN_MARC said:

Has any one tried these been watching some videos they look so much better than the old clip ins?

Hey Marc,

Check out this link posted under the soft boot carving worth watching - with review of Step On Softboot/Binding system on Moss Performance Quad 154cm board.

• Like 1

Yea when the Burton circus comes back around next winter to my local mtn. I'd give them a try.......but from what I hear from the Moss sponsored softboot riders from Japan that are laying down the carves they need/use/want a soft  softboot.......so expect this boot to be the polar opposite of a Burton XDrive for stiffness.   I would like to see a photo of the base of the binding and the boot connection system.

Carving in general is huge in Japan...... and Burton, not wanting to miss out their share of the $$ listened to those riders and made the "Step On"

https://whitelines.com/news/burton-announces-new-hard-snowboard-boot-system.html    Whitelines...aka: white lies.  Great April fools using a Track 325.

Could there be a Burton hardboot in the near future?  Doubtful, but demand drives the market  and the Asian market is really hardboot and softboot carving hungry right now and Burton being the money hungry whore they are might not want to lose their share of the market. 

If Burton ever has the balls to get back into hardboots they really should really call it the "Hard On"    ....that alone would give Burton back some "Alpine" street cred! 

• Like 3

On 5/20/2017 at 9:36 PM, barryj said:

If Burton ever has the balls to get back into hardboots they really should really call it the "Hard On"    ....that alone would give Burton back some "Alpine" street cred! 

I think it would be interesting to watch if they were to get into hardboots again.

I don't think they ever would, but if they did I think they would have to do a lot of backpedaling on their prior decisions to not look like total trend-chasing jackasses, and I think you'd probably see a lot of "over my dead body" type dissent from communities like this who have kept the hardbooting community thriving in the absence of any big-box corporate support. 

• Like 3

Burton Trend chasing Jack asses seems a tad harsh :freak3: ...fact is, they have been the dominant Trendsetter for decades and dominant market share for people who go snowboarding 7 times a year...if even 10% of all Snowboarders were Carvers, with the style and Tracks that brings, then the slopes would be to dangerous to even attempt......what leads Carvers to Carve? when all around them people are on Snowboards, spend their daze in Terrain Parks, completely out of control :eek: who cares...just glad that they do...such a rush to be going down a run in fresh pow or carving clean groom, to look over and see the line waiting to go in the Parks :biggthump

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, softbootsurfer said:

they have been the dominant Trendsetter for decades and dominant market share for people who go snowboarding 7 times a year...

I wouldn't call Burton a trendsetter. They saw the market potential for snowboarding as a lifestyle sport early on, and popularized it by associating snowboarding and themselves with popular culture. Burton is certainly responsible for growing the sport, but they just cashed in on what was already happening in pop culture at the time; not necessarily by creating anything new.

Edited by queequeg

sure...popular culture :ph34r: really Sims was the biggest influence I saw bringing the Skating thang into the Comps early on...the first vids. I saw were Burtons in Utah powder and Killy Canons Europe vid in Pow...no Fakie going on at all...downplaying burton and or sims for their influences on the sport is coming from a different view of how the sport should have gone, Carving is simple and boring to most people, that is why I personally have seen so many come and Go...they learn, get stoked and then say...what's next? complaining that Carving could have been the dominant style and that Burton and or Sims were the reason it wasn't, is correct... 

the slopes here, would be unridable if everyone was trying to Carve side to side...:eek:

my my...how we love to jump...simple and boring to those people who think you need to do something else obviously...most of the people here are not in that category! Carving and Pow is really all I have done other than a few hops here and there and some fakie when our son was by my side years ago...what about a slope where everyone is Carving...you think that would be fun? and the sessions with 100 or so is one thing...a mountain where all are carving on their equipment would be a place to stay away from...

• Like 1

No worries, even with skiers, who are in general a bit less jib oriented, only 5% really try to carve. Very small percentage of population is interested in pursuing a highly technical skills and even fewer seeking perfection in those. 

I heard once from a fellow snowboarder - "you ride in those hard boots, it looks very easy to do - I am pretty sure that I can master that in a day..."

Agree with BlueB - most of the people riding snb on my local hill, are not interested in pursing: 

1. high tech skill, where all details matter
  2. riding a board that they consider very expensive and difficult to get
  3. riding boots which connect immediately in their minds with word "uncomfortable" (usually followed by : when walking ;P)
  4. it takes a lot of time ,stubbornness  ,self motivation and persistence to get into that perfect line and position

putting this into economic terms : barriers of entry and trade offs needed to be good at carving, are usually to much to bother with for most people.

• Like 1

The difference is not that one is technical and one is not...HB Carvers are not superior in attitude and or skill from someone who has spent years in the Pipe and or Slopestyle type riding...we are talking about how one enjoys the Ride, nothing more...Burton and Sims stoked the general population into believing a certain way of doing things was the best way...I rode and ride Burton equipment and I only use it for Carving and Pow while the other 99.99% of their purchases are seen in the terrain parks...this step in binding should be a step up as far as ease of getting into ones bindings, though I must say I actually enjoy the stretch I get from simply bending over and buckling my back foot in and then standing up and reaching for the sky before I head down the run...then again at 71 I need that stretch :ph34r:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, softbootsurfer said:

.HB Carvers are not superior in attitude and or skill from someone who has spent years in the Pipe and or Slopestyle type riding...

Amen to that.  It's easy for expert riders to believe that they are superior when looking at the rental crowd, but meet another expert rider/skier that is an expert in a different facet of their sport and be humbled.  I sit beside the big air jumps at the side of Buttermilk with amazement.  I have zero desire to even contemplate that any more, but it's awesome to watch.  

• Like 1

No one spoke about superiority of carvers, or hardbooters. Heck, I didn't even mention the hard boots. I said that not too many people are willing to get into high performance riding of any kind, thus you are not likely to see everyone doing high level carves, day in, day out. 

• Like 1

i guess it depends largely on the person and what they want out of their riding - its not really about being superior or not.

One person wants to just stand up and ride

Other wants to fly from turn to turn, be close to snow and pursue that adrenaline rush and bliss of emptiness of mind during a ride....

there is no other sport that helps me clear my mind better than hardbooting.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, slapos said:

i guess it depends largely on the person and what they want out of their riding - its not really about being superior or not.

One person wants to just stand up and ride

Other wants to fly from turn to turn, be close to snow and pursue that adrenaline rush and bliss of emptiness of mind during a ride....

there is no other sport that helps me clear my mind better than hardbooting.

Got to agree with the clearing your mind there's nothing better than when your coming down beautiful scenery and all your cares gone ??

• Like 1