Note to New Members ×

Palau Liners

Randy Kight

Hello all.  Can someone point me to best method of fitting these?  Does heating really need to be done, or does anyone ride stock?  Feel fine unfitted with exception to the seam lengthwise (heal to toe) underfoot.  Does this seam disappear after heating/fitting, or is a footbed necessary so you don't feel it?

thanks. 

Original instructions from Palau:

Dear PALAU Customer, Thank you for purchasing the thermoformable liner. We recommend that you

carefully read the following instructions to use this product in the best conditions.

The thermoformable PALAU liners are preformed and must be used without additional accessories.

Along the time, they’ll adapt to the shape of your foot and become more comfortable with each use.

Anyway, in order to achieve the best fitting, we recommend that you mold it by yourself or by a professional boot-fitter.

THERMOFORMING INSTRUCTIONS

For best results, follow these steps.

- Use a convection oven (hot air) which has been preheated to 110 ° C.

- Place in oven preheated between 5 - 8 min according to the material and thickness of the liner (1 min / mm thickness approx) until they are soft and malleable.

- Make sure the shell of the boot is completely unbuckled and at ambient temperature.

- Put a foot-bed under your foot and place a toecap over the toes (these caps should be used to create space in the toe box; humidified cotton wool might be ok). Finally, pull a thin sock over the prepared foot.

Two different method inserting liner in the shell:

Work quickly so that the foam does not cool and does not lose its molding properties.

1) Remove liner from the oven and put it in the foot.

Make sure that the under foot seam is straight and that the ankle reinforcements are even.

Crossing Overlap flap outer liner with internal flap. The external reinforcements material on outside.

Slide the foot and the liner inside the shell with one hand at the heels to guide smoothly. Be careful not twisting or folding the liner during process (help yourself with a shoe horn or a piece of cardboard).

2) Remove liner from the oven and put it carefully into the shell. Check that there are no folds or twists and insert your foot in it.

Make sure the heels are positioned at the bottom of the shoe by gently kicking the back of the shell and adjust the external and internal flaps around the shin. The flaps should pass under the plastic shell.

For central tongues liners, be sure to place it in the center, and pull them up if necessary.

Close the buckles about half of their ability and hold a slight flexion for 10 minutes while the liner cools.

Once the liner has cooled, remove the foot and the liner of the shell, take of the socks and toes caps and place foot bed inside the liner.

If folds or twisting, it can be remolded according to the instructions mentioned above. 2 times max.

The liners must be removed from the shell after skiing. Dry the liners away from direct heat.

Washable in cold water with mild detergent. Let dry them completely before use.

7 minutes ago, Jack Michaud said:

The downside of this method is that it does not mold the liners to the boots.  Oven method does.  I think this is important, especially with Intec.

Agreed.  I like like the method I linked as it is the hardest to screw up for the home user.  I personally find it's a great starting point and after a bit of riding will pack out enough to mold the liner to the boot. YMMV.  I am not a bootfitter.  I'm just one of those folk who live 6 hours from the closest bootfitter and 10 hours from the next closest bootfitter.

2 hours ago, Jim Callen said:

I didn't realize that the link Jack posted stil existed and have deleted it from our store.

Aww, come on.  It was super-helpful for us that are very far from a competent bootfitter.  I used that just 2 months ago as I couldn't remember temperatures and a few other details.  

My one dealing with a 'professional' bootfitter in Aspen has told me that I'm better off with that article and my own diligence.  I suspect that not many are a bad as that one, but it's a reasonable option to DIY.  So I've had one bad fitting with a pro that cost a lot, 3 or 4 since at home that went markedly better.  How about putting it up again, but with a disclaimer that this DIY is at your own risk and that Bomber recommends using the services of a good professional?  

• Like 3

Great.  It's not rocket science.  I have molded one pair of liners as many as 6 times, so it's not like you're screwed if you mess up.

Just... make a toe cap, duct tape your Intec cable in place, and above all, keep weight on that foot while cooling or else the liner will end up too narrow.

• Like 1

Speaking as one of  Le Pacte Des Vast Experiénce:

Heating and molding liners is nothing at all like machining beryllium alloys, torch cutting galvanized steel, or going in against a Sicilian when death is on the line.

Which is to say, if you screw it up the first time, you have a ready opportunity (or 5) to try again.

There is nothing special about the proprietary heaters used in ski shops. Those are designed so that the underpaid help has almost no chance to burn, scald, shrink, melt, or otherwise permanently devalue the as-yet-unsold inventory.

In short, they’re a sales aid. They look fancy so as to enhance the imagined benefits of moldable liners.

I use a dedicated  countertop convection oven, same as one might find at any well-equipped appliance store.

Given sufficient time, almost any radiant heat source will work. Rinnai/Monitor heaters, hot air guns, a room of lobbyists, a black plastic bag in direct sun. Or shave the bellies of three large dogs, set the liners in the middle, cover with a blanket, and come back after doing the laundry. 

Speaking of which, you could also use a tumble dryer. Or wrap in tinfoil and leave them atop your intake manifold (next to the baked potato and pork chop) while you drive to your ski chalet.

I have had many clients come in for a spot heat of the toes, heels, or specific nubbins, and then simply ride the liners into shape.

Sometimes I need to correct work done by 'professionals'.

Some clients have footbeds, some don’t.

Some molds require toe caps and other kiln furniture, others not. Generally speaking, if the shell is remotely right for the foot, you may not need to build a foam, string and noodle collage. (That kind of craft project is de rigeur for high pressure foam injection, or when the end user is trying to get more performance out of a comfort product).

Point being, if you can inflate a balloon without damaging your face, or prepare a Pop Tart without consuming the kitchen in hellish flame, you can probably mold your own liners. 

A good thing, as not everyone lives within trebuchet range of a respectable boot shop, whereas most everyone has access to a kitchen.

Edited by Beckmann AG
edited by management without prior knowledge of author.
  • Like 5

Beckmann is right on...  For last 15-20 years I've done my own Thermoflex/Palau liners with great success.  Once, while traveling, I had to pay a well known shop do it for me and it was terrible.  

Not that I've actually met many hardbooters but they seem to be a pretty 'techie bunch' of people anyway.  I'll second the above comment that it is not "rocket science".  

I use a combo of convection and heavy foil bags to make sure there are no burn spots.  With the heavy foil bags (roasting bags) you don't even need a convection oven.  Maybe just turn liner 180 degrees halfway through. 

That clothes dryer idea is kind of interesting....  will have to think about that...

• Like 1

• 9 months later...