Note to New Members ×

Dissecting the Anatomy of a Heelside Turn

lordmetroland

I've been kicking around the idea of getting my hands on a big Dupraz and came across this video in my researches. The guy makes some toeside (again, "pee-side" for the confused) turns to be proud of, but his heelside seems to lack the power and confidence of some of our esteemed contributors, an affliction from which, sadly, I also suffer. I've been watching this video and trying to diagnose what's happening so can apply the learnings to my own riding, but I can't seem to articulate anything beyond, "it just doesn't look right." So I'll put it to the collective wisdom, if you were coaching this guy on his heelside turns, what would you say needs to be improved or done differently to generate more power? If you want to pretend you're coaching me, mentally superimpose a blue helmet and jacket on the rider. And start every suggestion with, "Hey a**hole..." Oh, and pretend you're talking to a six year old with only a basic grasp of physics/engineering. If you're feel the urge to say something about "articulation" you've already lost the audience, so dumb it down a bunch. Thoughts?

• Like 1

Hey a**hole... your knees are too close together and your front leg is too straight.  Bend that front leg and open up your stance on a**-side turns. F*cking moron.  

(Too much?) 

Edited by lonbordin
OP wants us to dumb it down but title is "dissecting the anatomy of a heelside turn"?!?
  • Like 3

Locked front leg, bend the front knee forward. May be hampered by boot and binding setup.

Hips frequently are not rotated leading to toilet sitting, not allowing you to tilt the board even higher on edge. Practice angulation exercises.

That back knee is something I and others have a problem with. Literally when riding push your knees apart with your hands. You immediately feel from pressure shift from the front binding to across the whole board, bumps up the power big time.

1 hour ago, lordmetroland said:

I've been watching this video and trying to diagnose what's happening so can apply the learnings to my own riding, but I can't seem to articulate anything beyond, "it just doesn't look right."

At least your Tricorder is working well enough to detect malignancy.

In simple terms: the game is chess, and he's playing checkers.

Now hand over those Little Debbie snacks your mom secreted into the false bottom of your lunch pail, and I'll tell you more.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, lordmetroland said:

Fer Chrissakes, I've already submitted to calling myself LordF*ckingMoronLand, what more do you need? Bloodsucker.

If you saw the way that Debbie tartlet was cozying up to your Snoopy thermos on the playground last week, you'd be thanking me.

Besides, if the source material is correct, Lady Metroland runs a brothel; which suggests a recurrent theme with you and women?

So maybe the demand was an offer for intervention?

• Like 1

It seems to me that this is not an effective approach to music. Sorry, turning.

Someone thought the toe-side turns were good enough to video, but he's breaking at the waist and leaning down to touch the snow. That makes the carves look weird and forced. They're also weak and ineffective - I see no real bite in there, no reaction back from one carve to another, no variation in turn speed or shape.

Heel side he doesn't really bother with, perhaps because it seems such a long way to here from the party-piece snow-dive-turn on the other side.

Legs, stance, position on the board, all need significant work. I'm surprised that you can be videoed looking like that and not think: "oh, I need to do a bit of work on this". 

"La D1" may well be "une planche Exceptionnelle", but there's no evidence of that here. It looks like a boat.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John Gilmour said:

"Yeah, this video looks entirely wrong.  He's on a Durpaz Powder board, with tree-less powder all around him, and he's trying to carve on the groomed snow. " ha PSR.

The idea of carving on a powder board is to use it to get to the next pow stash. That's why I carve on one.

Whereupon, this rider needs better peripheral vision!!  I can sure as hell carve better than this on my O-Sin 4807, nevermind a Tanker (even in softies!) , And, he's just wasting those enlarged skids, considering what's All Around him! 

I simply am not going to 'bite' and diagnose what ails this rider.  Mentally, he's almost unfit to be riding THAT board....

Getting my Cruiser 165 waxed for the 4" of 'fluff' we're expecting Wednesday, may get some float outa that, or not..

• Like 1

On January 31, 2017 at 9:14 AM, lordmetroland said:

Dag, brutal crowd.

Oh great, bring in the Norwegians. I can see how adding Vikings to the thread will help?

What's next, the UN peacekeepers?

On January 31, 2017 at 9:14 AM, lordmetroland said:

if you were coaching this guy on his heelside turns, what would you say needs to be improved or done differently to generate more power?

In athletic pursuits, in general, it's a good idea to develop finesse before power (FBP®).

I'm no Gary Kasparov, but one generally opens with a pawn, saving the Horsey-power for later in the game.

The first move 'into' the turn determines the options to follow. In his case, he's using most of his body to do a job better suited to the finer movements of the feet, (with subtle contribution of the knees by way of femoral 'rotation').  This particular articulation leaves him too far forward on the board with no adjustment options (in terms of edge tilt or fore/aft pressure distribution), therefore the turn destabilizes, and he has to retreat to that simply awesome toeside turn.

(Analogous to the novice telemark skier standing heavy on the lead ski, inducing spin, and quickly exiting that turn in favor of another try in the other direction.)

Part of the problem is related to binding configuration, part to misunderstanding how a  board might be operated, part to skeletal structure, and the rest to a hideous soundtrack.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Beckmann AG said:

Oh great, bring in the Norwegians. I can see how adding Vikings to the thread will help?

Here they come...

Hei drittsekk metroland!  His riding is limp, like the luuuutefisk, just without the delicious bacon fat.  Leg position all wrong!  Perhapse he has some discomfort in the kjøttbollene?   Also, I see no sign of an axe or even a sword and absolutely no beard!  Completely unprepared for ragnarok... We will not be seeing him in Valhalla!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Jim Callen said:

Biggest thing: knees together.  It's he's trying not to pee on every single turn.  A wide stance is a happy stance, individual biomechanics notwithstanding.

Hold it in....

hold it in...jpg

I can't be the only one here that grew up with cant plate on my back binding and idolizing Craig Kelly?  Man, those knees have got to TOUCH if you're gonna look like one of the cool kids!

• Like 1

First of all, he's riding with a backpack, inside a resort.  Don't be that guy.

In addition to all the other apt observations, he looks like an intermediate hardbooter trying to ride softboots like hardboots.  Don't be that guy either.  Current softboot carving technique has little to do with rotating the hips towards the nose.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Jack Michaud said:

First of all, he's riding with a backpack, inside a resort.  Don't be that guy.

Oh crap!  I am that guy.  I prefer to not ride with the pack but I need to hydrate, I mostly ride without breaks until done and need to store my snacks.  When hot lapping a chair, I leave my pack at the top on a picnic table or next to the patrol sled, but that is at June, I'd never do that at Mammoth.  Guess I need a carvers etiquette class.  LOL

2 minutes ago, 2stroke said:

Oh crap!  I am that guy.  I prefer to not ride with the pack but I need to hydrate, I mostly ride without breaks until done and need to store my snacks.  When hot lapping a chair, I leave my pack at the top on a picnic table or next to the patrol sled, but that is at June, I'd never do that at Mammoth.  Guess I need a carvers etiquette class.  LOL

;-)  Camelback under your coat, snack bars in your pockets.  Now drop and give me 20.

• Like 1