Note to New Members ×

Formula Ford autocross video

Corey

3 hours ago, SunSurfer said:

Looks like you now need to learn to drive VirtualDub's video Deshaker filter. Either that, or I use your vid's for training my eyes for our next earthquake here in the Shakey Isles.

Indeed, I do need to learn that!  I played around with VirtualDub just long enough to realize that I had no idea what I was doing.  That said, the shaky helmet cam is quite representative of the actual view of the driver.  That certainly adds to the experience!  It's not unlike carving on non-perfect snow.  

Pictures of the car attached.  I've since removed all the decals.  It'll be getting a wide white stripe from nose to tail to break up the yellowness.  

20160520_175234s.jpg

1.jpg

20160520_175217s.jpg

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Neil Gendzwill said:

So how much quicker is it than the Honda?

According to the class indexes, it's supposed to be about 6 seconds faster on a 60-second course. That's a lot! I'm probably 4 seconds faster so far with much to learn. However, it feels like it's 30% faster!  :0  =D  Good mental training for carving! Or is carving good training for this? Haha, I'm just glad these two hobbies are in opposite seasons or I'd have to make a terrible choice. 

It's semi-controlled chaos with lots of risk/reward. My hands are shaking at the end of every run from the adrenaline and the mental load. Can't wait to do some more! 

It's one of the top 5 most rewarding/engaging cars I've driven, but I can't afford the other 4. ;) Sure, a 2016 Corvette Z06 is awesome, but it's around 8x the price! To save the math, a Formula Ford like this is $10-14k US, depending on condition. 

• 3 weeks later...

One more fun event!  Here's a video taken on a helmet cam then somewhat stabilized with the Deshaker app. Thanks for the tip on Deshaker - after much reading and experimentation, I was able to get something decent.  It has it's limits, but it's pretty good. 

I hit a cone on the right side at 0:31:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhyKoid_eA

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I'm always amazed at how much deshaking the human eye and brain manages to produce in real life.

I generally set Deshaker, when using a GoPro or other fixed focal length camera, to make no/minimal zoom compensation of any kind in either the first or second stage of Deshaker processing.

Try playing with the motion smoothness, I quite like 200 for taking out the worst shakes without making the black borders too big, while 10,000 makes for very smooth video but large borders. I set the zoom motion smoothness to 0.0001.

Get hold of the Cineform codec to use in Deshaker to allow your .avi output to be directly accepted by GoPro Studio for further editing.

10 hours ago, Neil Gendzwill said:

Hey Corey,

thought you'd appreciate my new ride:

image.jpeg

Nice! Your smile is bigger than your head.  ;)  I haven't had the opportunity to drive one yet!  They look great, and are really quick. 

Thanks for the tips Alan! I found a spot on the bodywork that vibrates less: 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZ2a01VJqUY

Less post-processing makes me happy. 

4 hours ago, corey_dyck said:

Nice! Your smile is bigger than your head.  ;)  I haven't had the opportunity to drive one yet!  They look great, and are really quick.

One of these days you'll have to teach me how to drive it quick.  It feels way more responsive than my VW R32, much more direct.  The VW has a bit better power to weight ratio (14 lbs/hp vs 15.3) but the AWD has bigger losses than RWD, plus inertia is a bitch: the R is nearly 1200 lbs heavier!  When I put my foot in it with the revs up, the little MX-5 leaps forward.  Everything feels much more mechanical and connected, despite the fact that it has more electronic toys than the R.

59 minutes ago, Allee said:

Love the car, Corey! Are you going to track that, or is it for autocross only?

Primarily autocross, but I hope to do one or more track days next year.  I just need to swap gears as the autox gear set tops out around 85 mph in 4th, plus installing the large brass ones in the Nomex.  There are only two dangerous spots on the local road course, and they're safer than most tracks.  

My primary goal next year is the SCCA Solo Nationals in late summer, where I plan to get a big trophy.  Or a little one.  Or just some fresh humility.  I'm not sure.  

On 10/26/2016 at 5:17 PM, Neil Gendzwill said:

Hey Corey, thought you'd appreciate my new ride:

I don't mean to threadjack but is that the GT trim? I'm very disappointed at the colour palette with its 5 shades of white or grey and that the only appealing colour (red) is not offered in the GS trim.

Edited by charliechocolate
sp

Off-topic is fine by me. My formula car is parked for the winter, just waiting for my shop to be finished so I can tear into it.  The engine is coming apart over winter due to a missed shift in our last event of the season. :/ 

I have a Soul Red Mazda 3.  Beautiful color, too bad it's constantly covered in mud  at this time of year! 

Neil, did the MX5 replace the Golf? Going to winter drive it? 

On 10/29/2016 at 4:16 AM, corey_dyck said:

just waiting for my shop to be finished so I can tear into it. 

Despite the insanely cool videos of the formula ford (how cool is that!) this is the jealousy-inducing post in this thread for me. What wouldn't i do to have a regular place to wrench!!! Right now I have a handful of projects i need to take care of (new fuel pressure regulator, fuel lines, coil-packs, new pads/rotors and a master cylinder brace all need installing) and no regular place to wrench :/ . Someday I'll buy a place with a garage and when I do you'll bet I'm going to install a lift. I have a street driven SG6 forester that i will eventually take to the track but I need to start with autocross which I am hoping to start in the coming summer after I get the brakes sorted out a bit better. I'm still learning a lot about this stuff but this is what gets me to the beach and back in California - funner than you would expect in the twisties for a big old barge (though certainly not nearly as fun as Neil's new MX5 — congrats — i really like the new body style of these and I'm sure it's a barrel full of monkeys in the hills!!),but on the upside: fits ton of surfboards in the back and is pretty damn quick for a grocery getter:

exterior_1_front_quarter.jpg

Edited by queequeg

Nice, Jose!  I miss my Subaru every time it snows.  I had tons of fun in it, but I'm enjoying burning a little over 1/2 as much fuel to go anywhere in my Mazda 3.  But it's just not the same when things get slippery...  

Yes, a garage is nice.  Very nice.  A garage and a separate shop is a dream I'm finally realizing!  I'm guessing it won't suck.  :biggthump  The project is 5 months behind schedule right now though.  Sigh - first-world problems.

Autocross is a whole lot like snowboarding.  It looks pretty easy when you watch someone that's good, but the first couple of times suck.  If your local region lets you ride along with other drivers, take as many as you can.  And take a school as early as you can to reduce bad habit formation.  The $/minute of snowboarding is exponentially better though!  

Autocross has opened doors for me that I never thought I'd even see though.  I'm really glad that car racing and snowboarding are such polar opposites in terms of seasons, as I would hate to have to make a choice.  I did three seasons of wheel-to-wheel ice racing, (which was awesome!) but it cut too much into snowboarding time so I dropped it.  

Good call!  Mazda (well, all the car companies!) is using really thin sheet metal to drop weight. I'm nervous how my 3's fenders will hold up with long-term salt-exposure.  The roof panel oil-cans when waxing it by hand.  Yikes.  It amazes me that today's cars can meet current crash standards and still weigh as much as 1990's cars that crumpled like pop cans in crashes.  

1984 Civic vs. 2011 Jetta: 

fatal-crash.jpg

That picture cemented my decision to go newer rather than older for my daily driver.