Note to New Members ×

Formula Ford autocross video

Corey

On 10/31/2016 at 9:19 AM, corey_dyck said:

Good call!  Mazda (well, all the car companies!) is using really thin sheet metal to drop weight. I'm nervous how my 3's fenders will hold up with long-term salt-exposure.  The roof panel oil-cans when waxing it by hand.  Yikes.  It amazes me that today's cars can meet current crash standards and still weigh as much as 1990's cars that crumpled like pop cans in crashes.  

1984 Civic vs. 2011 Jetta: 

fatal-crash.jpg

That picture cemented my decision to go newer rather than older for my daily driver.  

Well, that's terrifying.

• 10 months later...

Last week I made the pilgrimage to the SCCA Solo Nationals in Lincoln, NE.  1319 drivers, the largest motorsports event in the world.  This is the big show, where you go to see how you really stack up against the best of the best.  

Here are my best runs from the 3 passes I got at each course: 

Day 1 

Day 2 

There are numerous small mistakes in there but that was the best I could string together.  The day 1 course was exactly what I enjoyed: a test of your bravado and ability to line up the exit of the corner.  I was sitting 5th at the end of day 1 in a class of 21 Formula Fords.  Day 2 was very technical and I struggled to see what was coming up next, which led to me falling back in the rankings dramatically over the first two runs.  I managed to scramble my way back to 7th in class, and 210th out of the 1294 drivers that did at least one lap for each of the 2 days.  That got me a nice trophy to add to the shelf, but left me hungry for more.  I'll be back.  :) 

Hope you enjoy the videos!  For interest's sake; watch the rubber build up on the lightly-loaded inside tire from 0:42 to 0:46, and then get pushed to the inside and flung off in the next long left-handed corner.  

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

Yes, you do need one!  The clutchless shifting is epic, and the tire contact patches wired into your neurons are even better.  Makes every other car feel like you're controlling it with 1990's softboots.  

This car is the best bang-for-the-buck fun I've encountered in racing.  A shifter kart would be even better, but we can't autocross them in Canada due to stubborn rule makers.  Though our local site is way too bumpy for a kart...  Our first event is in 10 days!  

Haha, that version is a little more refined than my 1985 non-turbo buzz box!  

I Someone I know drove my car a similar car on the street very briefly - it was terrifying.  It felt less safe than a bicycle as you know the tube frame would trap you in any incident with a real car - provided you survived the initial encounter.  Even rolling around the pits of autocross, I give those things with doors a very wide berth.  

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Allee said:

That video reminds me of why I gave up running grass gymkhana in Fiats. The number of times I'd make it around the course without getting lost could be counted on one hand ?

That's the point when I start to dislike autocross.  We had a club in college and we'd set up a few autocrosses each semester, and the duties for designing the courses would be passed down from class to class.  Generally had good times as the atmosphere was lax and the courses were well planned.  Some friends and I went back as alumni to compete in one event a few years ago and it was almost undriveable; the course was waaaay too complex, had too much doubling-back over other sections, and not enough cones to give directions.

Longer courses are better IMO because they can be designed to flow much better.  The course in Corey's track doesn't seem too bad.

Don't get me wrong, autocrossing is still lots of fun but I find a lot more enjoyment in track days.

Yup, some people like 100m sprints and some like marathons. There's room for all of us! 

I found track days at the local track a little boring. Granted, there are no elevation changes or terrifying corners... Now, wheel to wheel racing is fun on any track! But I'm not willing to spend that much money/time to race as seriously as I autocross.