Note to New Members ×

skier get low in carve video. worth your time.

genepires

It's not too big of a deal to EC on the skis. Besides the right SC and flex, they need to be wide enough or have enough lift under the bindings to prevent the boot-out.

The "turtle hip" turn is a hoot! I have to try it next year :)

Edited by BlueB

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The word "Carve" was in the initial introduction, rubbing one's body around on the ground doesn't fit the description of Carving (if you leave out the word "EXTREME"), So, Ted carves. 

Nothing wrong with not "carving" but let's split hairs;)

• Like 1

Actually, just like alpine snowboarding....the hands can stay still, taking the time to pole plant slows everything down, speaking for myself (nastar4 on skis) it's much faster to keep the poles out of the way, I always turned the outside wrist over so the pole tip was in the air, I actually turned it (as) "not post ghosting;)" much as I pushed the outside knee to the ground, skiing just like alpine snowboarding is all about being quiet with your body, while getting the board or ski as on edge as possible.

Edited by ursle

^FYI, Lindsey kinda dominated the technical events earlier in her career. Multi-dimensional skiers have often drifted toward the speed events as they mature.

----

Ligety goes far inside to 'surf' the dynamic of his turns. That's simply form following function.

The skier in the original clip is 'going for the snow' as a matter of fashion. Stylistic affect, if you will.

If your background involves engineering, design, or related fields, the former has value, the latter doesn't.

Getting 'low' by itself is hardly a measure of 'expertise'.

• Like 1

Ligety goes far inside to 'surf' the dynamic of his turns. That's simply form following function.

The skier in the original clip is 'going for the snow' as a matter of fashion. Stylistic affect, if you will.

If your background involves engineering, design, or related fields, the former has value, the latter doesn't.

Getting 'low' by itself is hardly a measure of 'expertise'.

The original Ligety training video, stabilised in VirtualDub Deshaker, then the frame rate increased from 24 to 60fps and the intervening frames built with the "flux" function, then finally slowed to half speed, all in GoPro Studio.

Now you can see the detail of Ted's technique.

• 2 weeks later...

So what defines good carving on skis for me, is to remain somewhat balanced on the outside ski. In the weird looking ski carving videos, the skier crouches low and balances above the inside ski,  This always looks like to like the soft boot kids that crouch down low to touch the snow,The first turns in video are like this. It may have value as an exercise for sure, but it looks ugly. Later in the video (0.43), the guy is mainly balanced on the outside ski while carving hard, and it looks great.