Note to New Members ×

Durable Mitts

AcousticBoarder

I know there have been a couple topics like this, but most pertaining to gloves or how to make existing ones more durable. Who out there uses mitts and what do you find to be the most durable and good quality? How does goatskin leather hold up? I would ideally go for goretex lining, and would like them to be warm enough for most/ all of the season.

I'm sort of a glove junkie.  My wife will attest.

I've been using the Level Half-Pipe gloves for almost two years and have been pleasantly surprised by their build and durability. The reason I was using then was because I had broken wrists and wanted some protection (this was when I rode the ice-coast).   They Level's were showing their age and I started looking for a replacement.  Since I ride Loveland which is known for the warm, pleasant weather and lack of winds I was looking for mittens.  I had found some really nice Hestras.  These were really warm, soft and looked awesome!  At $90 I thought I got a good deal.  Then I found the Kincos.  Talk about buyers remorse.  They are just as warm as the Hestras but waaaay more durable (just thicker leather).  And at $20 they are definitely worth it for me.  Additionally, for some reason, they are now considered cool.  Go figure!

Another option is to get army surplus mittens like these:

http://www.amazon.com/LEATHER-TRIGGER-FINGER-MITTENS-Medium/dp/B002B93CVW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1457226001&sr=8-2&keywords=army+surplus+mittens

But even I can't rock these.   :cool:  

I find that the 901Ts are fairly water proof, but then again water does not exist in liquid form in the Rockies in the winter.  If you really are worried about water proofing you can just rub this into them:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001U0KVVC/ref=s9_simh_gw_g468_i2_r?ie=UTF8&fpl=fresh&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=desktop-1&pf_rd_r=1YZZG414WYJWZ8Z80S4C&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=2079475242&pf_rd_i=desktop

I don't because I like my gloves very breathable.  YMMV

p.s.  If anybody wants to buy some once-ridden Hestras cheap!  pm me.

I have the Black Diamond Mercury mitts for cold days. -10C and below, I add a heat pack when its below -25C. They do not stand up to snow dragging. But, Shoe Goo adheres nicely to the leather to patch holes/tears.

Do those Kinco mitts have a glove liner in the mitt? They mention a 5-finger liner. That's a pet peeve of mine - you end up with the dexterity of a mitt and the warmth of a glove. Not what I'm looking for!

• Like 1

Met a guy at eces who use plasti-dip on his gloves, that seems the best product to use for durability. I'm using shoe goo but I'll switch to plasti-dip as it is more flexible.

My mitts are nearly done, so I would like to find a pair first which are durable rather than adding a coating right when I buy them.

Kinco 901T
Cheap is the ultimate durability. They are also really warm, comfortable and durable.

Those look nice! Though as it looks they are not too waterproof without doing the baking process. The baking sounds like it will hold up after use though which is good, even though I was hoping for a membrane under the leather such as gortex. Living on the wet-coast so waterproof would be nice for the slushier conditions.

I have the Black Diamond Mercury mitts for cold days. -10C and below, I add a heat pack when its below -25C. They do not stand up to snow dragging. But, Shoe Goo adheres nicely to the leather to patch holes/tears.

Do those Kinco mitts have a glove liner in the mitt? They mention a 5-finger liner. That's a pet peeve of mine - you end up with the dexterity of a mitt and the warmth of a glove. Not what I'm looking for!

I cannot say I drag too much, but the little bits I do are showing their effects. Interested in the answer to the liner as well, also not interested in built in 5 finger liner.

They have a sewn-in liner.  You can't take it out.  I was put off by that until I tried them.  Feeling is believing.  The nice thing is that most hardware stores have them.  Just go in and try.

As for warmth, I am not a cold hand person so take this for what it's worth but I feel that these are almost too warm for me.  If it's above 10 then I usually go with the gloves (Kinco 94s or Level Half-Pipes) that have even less insulation.  I have found them comparable to the Hestra CZone mitts for warmth.    

As far as waterproofing you can try the silicone based solutions.  They aren't as durable as sno-seal (which stinks up your house.  Do not use wife's oven.  Ask me how I know...) but do the job when it's wet outside.

Don't want to bake your glove? https://flylowgear.com/shop/mens/gloves

Look at the oven mitt.  These are basically Kincos with the weatherproofing already applied.  (Did I mention I'm a glove junkie)

They are also surprisingly dexterous.  Yes, I am aware that I sound like a commercial at this point but I do really like them.  There's also a reason why the ski patrol usually use them.

But seriously, $20...  

I've been using the Level Half-Pipe gloves for almost two years and have been pleasantly surprised by their build and durability. The reason I was using then was because I had broken wrists and wanted some protection (this was when I rode the ice-coast).   They Level's were showing their age and I started looking for a replacement.

I got Level Half-Pipe Mitts for this season, and honestly am not impressed with how they've held up.  I didn't think I dragged my hands excessively, but obviously they're making contact with the snow.  The bottom line... for a really beefy looking, reinforced mitten that costs more than many gloves out there (just over $100), they've not worn any better than a $50 pair of Burton mittens I've used.

I will give the Kinco 901T mittens a try next.

They mention a 5-finger liner. That's a pet peeve of mine - you end up with the dexterity of a mitt and the warmth of a glove. Not what I'm looking for!

That's kind of a pet peeve of mine too.  Good thing mitten liners are easy to come by.  

Also, I think a thin, light, quality 5 finger glove liner (merino wool or synthetic performance fabric) works well for warmth in a mitten. 

Whoa, haven't heard about Granite Gear since 1991! I scoured Boulder and parts of Denver for those gauntlet mitts back then and couldn't find them anywhere.

I've been looking for replacements for while. I have an acquaintance who used to work there who moved on to his own company. He just might get a package this summer with a pair in it for prototyping.....

• 1 month later...

...I had found some really nice Hestras.  These were really warm, soft and looked awesome!  At $90 I thought I got a good deal.  Then I found the Kincos.  Talk about buyers remorse.  They are just as warm as the Hestras but waaaay more durable (just thicker leather).  And at $20 they are definitely worth it for me.  Additionally, for some reason, they are now considered cool.  Go figure!

Another option is to get army surplus mittens like these:

http://www.amazon.com/LEATHER-TRIGGER-FINGER-MITTENS-Medium/dp/B002B93CVW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1457226001&sr=8-2&keywords=army+surplus+mittens

But even I can't rock these.   :cool:  

I find that the 901Ts are fairly water proof, but then again water does not exist in liquid form in the Rockies in the winter.  If you really are worried about water proofing you can just rub this into them:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001U0KVVC/ref=s9_simh_gw_g468_i2_r?ie=UTF8&fpl=fresh&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=desktop-1&pf_rd_r=1YZZG414WYJWZ8Z80S4C&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=2079475242&pf_rd_i=desktop

I don't because I like my gloves very breathable.  YMMV

p.s.  If anybody wants to buy some once-ridden Hestras cheap!  pm me.

I passed on the 901T's because I wanted mittens with a gauntlet and removable liner.  So I'm trying out the surplus mittens with the Nikwax waterproofing.  I'm sure the hardboots/alpine board will get a lot more strange looks than the trigger mittens:-)  Thanks for the heads up Erazz.

Upcoming weekend will be the test run for the surplus mittens.  I'll be stoked if they last a season without needing any ShoeGoo.

I believe so but it has been over a year since I last contacted.

http://forums.bomberonline.com/index.php?/topic/41024-buying-thor-gloves/

I got these in December 2014.  They lasted about 70 days.  I didn't like the velcro strap on the gauntlet.  Should be a drawstring if you ask me.  Also, palms of snowboard gloves should be blank.  No extra stitched on patches (like is common on ski gloves presumably for holding ski poles) or decorative stitching.  The stitching on that patch failed on these gloves.

If only Kinco would make the 901T with a gauntlet with a drawstring, and then also a glove version, that would be the shizz.

I have now these now bout 200 days, so need to get new ones. They just dont respond to email, due that my question.

And agree bout velcro, will take it off anyway, and will not replace it with string due dont need.

Other wise quite perfect thing, with proper liners holding wind.

Until saturday I had been reading this thread smugly confident that my Black Diamond gloves were truly special and exempt from the problems discussed here.  An extended hand drag (trying to prevent a massive faceplant on frozen corduroy)  quickly abraded most of stitching on my right palm and left a couple of gaping holes.  With it being the end of the season for me, I tried to get by using duct tape.

Pimped Black Diamond Gloves

Now I learned not to use duct tape.  Before a quick and catastrophic failure, the tape loosens and acts like a nice scoop, pumping the inside of the glove full of snow.  

• 2 months later...

They have a sewn-in liner.  You can't take it out.  I was put off by that until I tried them.  Feeling is believing.  The nice thing is that most hardware stores have them.  Just go in and try.

As for warmth, I am not a cold hand person so take this for what it's worth but I feel that these are almost too warm for me.  If it's above 10 then I usually go with the gloves (Kinco 94s or Level Half-Pipes) that have even less insulation.  I have found them comparable to the Hestra CZone mitts for warmth.    

As far as waterproofing you can try the silicone based solutions.  They aren't as durable as sno-seal (which stinks up your house.  Do not use wife's oven.  Ask me how I know...) but do the job when it's wet outside.

Don't want to bake your glove? https://flylowgear.com/shop/mens/gloves

Look at the oven mitt.  These are basically Kincos with the weatherproofing already applied.  (Did I mention I'm a glove junkie)

They are also surprisingly dexterous.  Yes, I am aware that I sound like a commercial at this point but I do really like them.  There's also a reason why the ski patrol usually use them.

But seriously, $20...  

SOLAR BAKED . . . applied Sno-Seal to the new Kinco mitts and gloves then placed in a disposable aluminum roasting pan and onto my trucks dashboard on a warm (not too hot) sunny day

• Like 1