Note to New Members ×

Buck Hill 2015/16

bobble

You'll need to get one of those stand up desks at work...

at previous company we had Ergotrons sit/stand stations. i had dual screens. it was nice. sitting down all day just makes me want to fall asleep. also makes the day seem excruciatingly long.

at current company they don't have Ergotrons so i improvise. photo is from when i moved into my "deluxe" cube. i now have more books to prop up the mouse. i really miss having dual screens.

post-556-0-80942400-1456403452_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Well... I'm out for the season. Was traveling to Copper mountain and a few miles out of Denver... well... all I have to say is that our roof mounting failed... Both softboot and hardboot setups, boots, bindings, everything. My TD3's PIERCED through my burton. The deeluxes got mangled as well. Everything got obliterated and it totaled two cars behind us. Good thing no one got hurt.

Next setup is going to be a softboot carver, think I may ditch hardboots from now on. 

Well... I'm out for the season. Was traveling to Copper mountain and a few miles out of Denver... well... all I have to say is that our roof mounting failed... Both softboot and hardboot setups, boots, bindings, everything. My TD3's PIERCED through my burton. The deeluxes got mangled as well. Everything got obliterated and it totaled two cars behind us. Good thing no one got hurt.

Next setup is going to be a softboot carver, think I may ditch hardboots from now on. 

alex, that is devastating. 

are you out in colorado now? if so, i hope you can get past your accident, rent some gear and enjoy the snow. 

if your TD3s are undamaged you might want to hold onto them and use the Bomber Power Plates for your next softboot setup.

alex, that is devastating. 

are you out in colorado now? if so, i hope you can get past your accident, rent some gear and enjoy the snow. 

if your TD3s are undamaged you might want to hold onto them and use the Bomber Power Plates for your next softboot setup.

I just got back. I have no idea, but even down to the cant disk got f'ed. I bought a pair of cheap burton bindings to mount onto a buds extra board. I was surprised at how a 15*/25* softboot setup ripped. Was almost able to get my ass down. I think some of those power plates and lowpro/stiff bindings and boots would be awesome. Donek flux maybe? Regardless, It was an awesome trip. The back country, tree, and dispensary runs made it well worth the loss.

Edited by Awesomo12000

http://www.startribune.com/twin-cities-skater-is-crashed-ice-champion/370404561/

the cool parts of the race were the start and the finish. i cannot imagine running off a 4-5 foot drop and onto a hill of ice. at the bottom there was the Everest where skater had to skate uphill. some skaters were getting launched into the air like rag dolls. 

after first couple races ms. bobble hung out at a video screen at the entrance to the event as i ventured down to the finish. i got mid way but no go.

i tried shoving my way down to the finish line but the crowds were impassable. 

3/6/16

went snowboarding for half hour. super soft snow. on one run i saw something metallic in the snow. i stopped and walked up the hill to look at it. i think it was from the groomer. i think it was made of steel. it was heavy. would've messed someones board or skis for sure.

post-556-0-89744800-1457312603_thumb.jpgpost-556-0-09205300-1457312624_thumb.jpg

riding on board was meh.. got yelled at from the chair to switch to skis. so i switched. rode with bdodds for about an hour. i'm fine on Red Tail Ridge (backside) and Warners but Crossroads and Milkrun were somewhat challenging.

i saw 4 guys in street clothes walking up from the water tower. they were lugging a suitcase, tools, poles, etc. the ski patrollers were kicked out of the lift shack. i asked one of the guys in street clothes what they were going. the guy said they were HAM operators and they were setting up a repeater station on top of the run. so i talked to the guy for awhile. it was obvious that being on a ski hill was foreign to all of them. the guy smiled to me and said "going down the hill looks like a lot of fun!". ummm... yeah.

i asked him how they talked Buck into allowing them to put the antenna up. he said the guy who bought the equipment knows the owner and they got permission. these guys were from Faribault and they have a dead spot between their town and Mpls on 440 MHz. they had an engineer from KSTP there to make sure there wasn't any interference with the Skycam equipment.  

post-556-0-10958200-1457312739_thumb.jpgpost-556-0-21967500-1457312798_thumb.jpg

i've been trying to get my license but snowboard season always gets in the way. 

I remember climbing up a Welsh peak in poor conditions. Felt good to be at the top. Huddled in the lee of of some rocks, enjoying the occasional view through the wet mist, Then we heard a voice. Ello charlie delta seven, this is mike, we are in Wales, where are you?. Ham operators up a bloody mountain in the middle of no where.

I remember climbing up a Welsh peak in poor conditions. Felt good to be at the top. Huddled in the lee of of some rocks, enjoying the occasional view through the wet mist, Then we heard a voice. Ello charlie delta seven, this is mike, we are in Wales, where are you?. Ham operators up a bloody mountain in the middle of no where.

too funny. :biggthump  yeah, i can just visualize that completely.

post-556-0-89395700-1457356094_thumb.jpg

"whiskey tango foxtrot... i can't see the forest for the trees."

well, whatever gets them out of the house i guess.

these guys climbing up the hill were not in good physical shape. i saw them walking up the backside from the water tower. they were completely out of breath and sweating. good thing ski patrol was there. the skinny guy was the one who had to go back to the car to get more gear. 

i believe that installing an antenna on top of Buck is a wet dream come true for the local HAMs. i won't be surprised at all if they show up with more antennas or hold "field days" at Buck.

the technical aspects of HAM radio has always interested me but there are parts of the hobby are a real buzz kill. i am planning on getting a license as a steam punk hobby.
Edited by bobble

i ordered a new longboard from Stoked Skateboards. i've been waiting a couple weeks.

ms. bobble got a notification that Hot Bench is sent a package via UPS and it was at our door. i thought that's weird. maybe stoked was the middle man for Hot Bench as in Hot Bench Skateboards? 

uhhh... wut?

post-556-0-62007200-1457566172_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...