Note to New Members ×

Buck Hill 2015/16

bobble

Had a good time riding with Bob on Saturday. Terrible boot pain. Trying some extra foam padding for next time inside the shell. the new UPZ liners are junk in my opinion.

I had issues with "shin bang" when I first started with UPZ's. Found I had to really tighten the top buckles to eliminate any shin movement within the boot to eliminate the shin bang pain. Not sure if this was your problem, but apparently is common with UPZ's─easily fixed.

I've heard that most people replace the stock liners although they work fine for me.  UPZ's fit my feet way better than the Deeluxe where my heel slipped and my toes were squished. They're much closer to, but not as good, as the fit of my old Burton Furnace/Reactors.

Sorry, can't help with finding a boot fitter.

I love the upz shell and buckle placement. For me the deeluxe couldn't hold my heel down, due to my narrow ankles. The pain I am experiencing is in the ankle. Every time the boot flexes (so every turn) the back of my heel hits the plastic of the shell, cause there is no padding there. So after just 2 hours of riding on Sat, it was unbearable. It also feels like the bone ends on the sides of my ankles are also making contact with the plastic. 

I was thinking about replacing the liners, but with what? the tongue of the liner seems to provide most of the support. So that means a thermoflex liner would make them softer, which I don't want. I would love to try the foam injected stuff people rave about, but that isn't really done around here I don't think.

I replaced my UPZs with the Intuition Powerwrap, I think it's one of the stiffest liners they make. I get pain around my arches and riding with the bottom three bucks loose like barely staying hooked is the only thing that's helped. I also use the stiffest grey tongue they make for my front foot because UPZs has the stiffness of a wet noodle. It's impossible to get the three bottom buckles snug for me, it's like a teeter totter, I get two snuck and then one becomes loose.

I replaced my UPZs with the Intuition Powerwrap, I think it's one of the stiffest liners they make. I get pain around my arches and riding with the bottom three bucks loose like barely staying hooked is the only thing that's helped. I also use the stiffest grey tongue they make for my front foot because UPZs has the stiffness of a wet noodle. It's impossible to get the three bottom buckles snug for me, it's like a teeter totter, I get two snuck and then one becomes loose.

I am going to Pierce Skate and Ski tomorrow to have everything looked at. They were a bit timid on the phone about working with an alpine snowboard boot. They were the only minnesota dealers that worked with the intuition liners that I could find. Did you use them or order yourself? 

I am going to Pierce Skate and Ski tomorrow to have everything looked at. They were a bit timid on the phone about working with an alpine snowboard boot. They were the only minnesota dealers that worked with the intuition liners that I could find. Did you use them or order yourself? 

I have had my snowboard boot liners molded twice at Pierce over the years. They have done a good job both times.

• Like 1

I had my first deeluxes molded at Pierce. I thought that there was a technician whom the G-Team trusted? Unfortunately I dont remember his name. I forget who refered me to him.

Edit: had to search the forum. Used Pierce as search term. His name was Brian.

Edited by bobble
  • Like 1

Thanks everyone for the recommendations. Mike and everyone else at Pierce was super nice, and reminded me of my local ski shop I grew up with. Randy, your ears must have been burning cause they were ranting and raving about you several times.

New liners seems to have solved the issues. We will know for sure when I go this weekend.

Snow was hero this morning

Went wayyy too close to a tower on a toeside and slid into it. Dislocated my shoulder but popped it in again. Shit hurt, 0/10 would not recommend. 

did you pop it back in yourself? was that the first time?

Rode for 6 runs total this morning. Still having feet issues. Snow was fast, light was poor.

i didn't last much longer after you left. i was getting cold and i didn't feel like going into the chalet as it was way too crowded. hope you get your boots dialed in. 

the snow was stiff... like if you chattered on toe-side and fell on your knee caps and slid for a ways, it would hurt. skidding across the cord gave a satisfying "vrrrrrrrrpppp!!!!" sound.

did not see any ladies walking across the run today in stiletto high heels... this time.

Was up late Installing boot heaters, board waxing and playing with my stance.

Wore the orange jumpsuit to stay warm and glad I did. Ski challenge guys looked really cold in their suits.

USASA was doing SBX on Warners. Berms and rollers looked legit.

MASSIVE full circle sundogs were out in a double halo around the sun the entire time.

Pushing my stance forward and lowering my angles was a fun experiment..now my heelside is solid and my toeside turns wash out.

Think the hotronics were working. But will notice more without the arctic blast.

Made it 1.5 hrs this morning before calling it quits. Feet are still cold.

Do they hurt in the same spot? I would try riding them a few times to break them in and then get them remolded.

It is a different issue now. Felt like I was riding with the middle of my foot shoved in a wedge (like right were my arch was I was pushing down on a V). This caused my foot to be in serious pain. There was no way I could ride enough like that to break anything in. I would sooner naw off my foot with my teeth. I don't know exactly what's up, but my theory is that now the shell is too tight in that area side to side, not giving the liner enough room. The new molded liner feels pretty awesome and brought the stiffness up to a perfect level for me, so I am hoping the liner doesn't need to be remolded. When the boot is clamped, there is tons of pressure on the sides of my foot. Where I would like to feel the pressure is on the top of the foot holding it down, allowing the bones and tissue in the foot to expand as needed when pressure is applied.

Edited by Scott.Creer

Heel side is better and your toe side is worse with lower angles? I would think the opposite would be true. What were your angle changes?

Lowered rear foot 4° but shifted the entire stance about 2 cm forward.
I fear that I have a bad habit of advancing my hips (too far) over the nose at turn initiation - So the tail was consistently washing out on toeside turns.

Dominator Bullet wax makes for a shiny base.  :) 
I heard Buck Halfpipe is being cut for Friday.. if anybody is interested..