Note to New Members ×

Buck Hill 2015/16

bobble

Lunch

Burnsville Public Television set up cameras on bottom of Milkrun. There's going to be races this afternoon starting at 4pm and again tomorrow at 3pm.

Not sure how this image will appear.

Snow was icy in some spots. It's like the snow thinned out. Otherwise good.

post-556-0-82755700-1453403645_thumb.jpg

1/22/16

Oh FFS!

post-556-0-14563600-1453489598_thumb.jpg

post-556-0-95937900-1453489613_thumb.jpg

Only got 4 runs at lunch. Lines at bottom were too long. Hill was overrun. I couldn't go down the backside because tents blocked access to the lift. A couple tents had bbq grills going. Parking lot was almost full.

I thought about going in evening but not sure. Not even sure about tomorrow.

This one if for you Bob, I hope you're practicing your moves for this Wednesday...

@randy... ya! you betcha!

yesterday buck was efffing insane! i got there at 9 AM and the parking lot already was packed. i was almost going to head back home when i found a space right in front of the tubing run. even then i was like thinking it might be one-and-done.

there was some jib event (?) on Warners. there was a crowd of parents watching the kids. Ski Challenge was there as always. 

surprisingly, crossroads wasn't *too* bad. occasionally we had to wait. saw some vintage gear that one only sees when temps are above freezing. no ballet skis.

the snow good except one couldn't see it. the only way to see the rollers is by indirect observation. if i looked at the chalet i could see them.

at around 12:30 PM it was misting so i left.

erik showed up. i am borrowing his F2 bindings to try out, not sure if i'll use them on Wednesday. its quite a bit different. i've been riding TD3s with lift/cant in front/back boots. i mounted the bindings with flat front with rear slightly canted inward, no lift. it feels weird not having heel lift. on toe-side i'm practically collapsing the boot and jamming the heel into the back of the boot which doesn't feel good.

Happy B-Day Bob!

Was thinking about going to Buck... But then summer came by

thanks... saturday the snow was really soft and gushy. i wiped out a few times because the snow didn't hold up. my back started to act up so i switched to my brother's short boards. it went better than afton but i was out of control.

lift lines were really long. i think i pissed off a ski jammer instructor by cutting in line. nature abhors a gap in lift lines. if there's a gap, it will be filled... most likely by me.

alex was carving up the run. the ruts were deep for awhile.

Edited by bobble

1/31/16

rode for 45 minutes.

snow was not good. :mad: 

the cord was kind of messed up. someone on the chair described it as a snow rash. cord lines would thin out or just disappear. small ice rocks here and there. bumps and divots. winrows.

i was hoping that it would be soft but instead it was fast icy cord. i was riding upright. at times it was hard to hold an edge because the ice underneath the grooming was rough. 

other skiers complained about the ice cubes out on the run. i left early.

thought about going back in the afternoon after the snow softened but ... yeah ... not happening.

i think i know what i'm doing this weekend... anyone been to tin whiskers yet?

http://twbrewing.com/

A Tin Whisker is an electrical engineering term for when tin solder grows a tin "hair" that results in a short circuit on a printed circuit board (PCB). This tin “hair” (or whisker) that unintentionally forms between adjacent pins of integrated circuits (ICs) which are the little black parts you'll see on a circuit board.

ms. bobble somehow came across it. cracked me up... that term Tin Whisker. hadn't heard that term for a couple years. 

check out the beer names. 

http://twbrewing.com/beers

Patti and I have been to Tin Whiskers, they have good beer and a pretty nice tap room. We went late morning on a weekend and it wasn't very busy.

Late morning? Jebus. You must've been really thirsty.

Went soft boots at lunch. Snow was blowing horizontally across. There was already a couple inches. Slow going down the run. The ice underneath was soft.

They had high school teams out today.

post-556-0-12142000-1454441271_thumb.jpg

Might head back again.

2/2/16

went back in the evening. snowing hard. the temp was around 30F. big flakes. wind was gusting on top.

the snow was coming down so hard that it was refilling all the tracks. i spent most of my time on skiers right of crossroads. the drifts were deep, maybe past my shin. i was laughing. other people were whooping it up. it was really slow. some kids were struggling to make it all the way to the lift line.

milkrun had deep snow considering that they had ski races around noon. along the fence the snow was untracked. did a few runs but i liked the drifts on crossroads.

Bob

Think I saw you on you soft board. Looked like you were having fun.

There was too much snow - the magic carpet was shut down.

Polling the masses, I learned of all the powder stashes.

Took me 40 min to get home last night. Usually 18..

I might go out in the morning from 9-9:30 before work.. planning to take my kid out sat am.

2/9/16

Conditions were better than yesterday. The cord is hard. The trenches were thin. I chattered or stuttered on some turns.

Wind was gusting. Temp was in the teens and windchill is still negative. My feet were already cold after half hour.

Think I'll go back tonight.

went back in the evening. changed goggle lenses. get to the top of the run and things looked foggy and blurry. 

i go back to the chalet to wait for the lights. i look at my goggles... they looked blurry when held to my eyes. tried cleaning them. discovered the gasket seal was compromised when i tried to wash them. water was now on the inside of the lens between the two panes. the inside of the lens looks like how when a house window loses its seal. kind of a smear.

%$#&  :angryfire

tried boarding sans goggles. my eyes were tearing. blew out a heel-side turn and spray of snow and ice to the face. time to go home.

anyways, snow was really good. sorry if i missed you randy.