Note to New Members ×

Buck Hill 2015/16

bobble

1/12/16 Evening

went back out after work. high school teams took up most of the runs. it was cold. i think the windchill was in the negatives. high around 1-2F.

after half hour i almost had crossroads to myself. another half hour my extremities were getting too cold. the wind was making my arms freeze. it was no longer fun. survival instincts forced me to leave at 6 pm (karl, i would've stopped in to say hi but you were preoccupied).

regardless, the snow was ...

post-556-0-45945100-1452688828_thumb.jpg

grippy... narrow tracks.

1/13/16

Lunch. Milk run had two courses. It be rutted. Crossroads was good. Snow was softer then yesterday. It was already breaking up into marbles.

Saw another hard booter but didn't talk to him. I think it was Bruce. Looked like he was going down a course set up on Warners.

It is a different issue now. Felt like I was riding with the middle of my foot shoved in a wedge (like right were my arch was I was pushing down on a V). This caused my foot to be in serious pain. There was no way I could ride enough like that to break anything in. I would sooner naw off my foot with my teeth. I don't know exactly what's up, but my theory is that now the shell is too tight in that area side to side, not giving the liner enough room. The new molded liner feels pretty awesome and brought the stiffness up to a perfect level for me, so I am hoping the liner doesn't need to be remolded. When the boot is clamped, there is tons of pressure on the sides of my foot. Where I would like to feel the pressure is on the top of the foot holding it down, allowing the bones and tissue in the foot to expand as needed when pressure is applied.

Hurts your arch? That's my issue, I think there is too much vertical volume, and the boots aren't that wide so when I tighten the bottom buckles it curls the flimsy plastic up and crushes the sides of my feet while still feeling loose.

At Buck now, intermission. Lots of loose snow over a firm base. A little icy and rough on the knoll on the bottom left of milk run, nothing the plate can't handle :)

Hurts your arch? That's my issue, I think there is too much vertical volume, and the boots aren't that wide so when I tighten the bottom buckles it curls the flimsy plastic up and crushes the sides of my feet while still feeling loose.

Yep. It was way to tight on the sides, and it would let my foot expand side to side under pressure. Mike punched out the arch side of both boots, and I could instantly feel the difference and now the buckles clamp down instead of side to side.

1/17/16

cold weather. around 2F with negative windchills. i guess it was -35F windchill. it was cold enough that the lens iced up inside my goggles from my balaclava. 

place was dead. not many people showed up. nastar (or whatever) set up a course but not many people showed. cracks me up that people buy tickets, make a few runs, and then leave.

even though it was colder than yesterday, i stayed longer due to the sun. i went in for a couple breaks. at one point there was only me and another skier on the run. it was great having the hill to myself. i was there from 9 AM till about 1:30 PM.

snow was excellent!!!

post-556-0-91824900-1453073188_thumb.jpg

post-556-0-81280900-1453073039_thumb.png

I think @Karl would for sure benefit from side-cut traction spike tech. Great video!

Snow was great today. Thanks for sharing your hill with me, even though I was extremely grumpy about my boots still. I had enough. Time for them to go, and for me to just move on. http://forums.bomberonline.com/index.php?/topic/42664-2015-2016-rc10-upz-95-us-29-mondo/

@MUD - rode softies this morning so was able to carve a little and then sample the pipe. Fun, but it doesn't feel natural..yet.

@Bobble. That video is great.

I went back to Buck tonight and my new stance - set back - was excellent. Snow was great and after 2runs the races ended and I was alone....

Day 2 of bootwarmers.. Not sure when my front foot cable came un-plugged.. Brr..

Thanks Scott for the insokes and the tip about the connector notch.

I think @Karl would for sure benefit from side-cut traction spike tech. Great video!

Snow was great today. Thanks for sharing your hill with me, even though I was extremely grumpy about my boots still. I had enough. Time for them to go, and for me to just move on. http://forums.bomberonline.com/index.php?/topic/42664-2015-2016-rc10-upz-95-us-29-mondo/

You put anything in the bottom of your boots to raise your foot up? My UPZs don't have a boot board or anything in them and when heat molding the liner it has sunk into the grooves of the boot shell. I'm running with the insole that came with the Intuition liners (which isn't really an insole but more of a foam spacer) plus some Head insoles. I think I might try to even raise my foot up some more so it will be in the wider part of the shell.

You put anything in the bottom of your boots to raise your foot up? My UPZs don't have a boot board or anything in them and when heat molding the liner it has sunk into the grooves of the boot shell. I'm running with the insole that came with the Intuition liners (which isn't really an insole but more of a foam spacer) plus some Head insoles. I think I might try to even raise my foot up some more so it will be in the wider part of the shell.

I tried 4-5 different insoles, with/without foam spacers, with/without shell liners, with multiple shell liners. I should have returned them day 1 rather than trying to make them work.

1/20/16

Lunch.

Warmer temps. About 20F. More people at the hill. Flat light. Visibility was poor. Could barely make out features from the chair.

There was maybe 1/2 inch to an inch of fresh snow over cord. Snow was soft.

Going back after work.