Note to New Members ×

Buck Hill 2015/16

bobble

Opening Day

Two days ago Buck turned the snow guns on. Today they had 4 runs open!  The snow was good considering two days ago there was none.

Some pictures....

post-556-0-28528200-1448238774_thumb.jpg

post-556-0-02913500-1448238798_thumb.jpg

post-556-0-24893500-1448238829_thumb.jpg

post-556-0-48912300-1448238852_thumb.jpg

I don't recall buck opening with 4 runs.  It was just like riding on any other weekend morning. :biggthump  The only place that was crowded was the long line in front of the ticket office. Otherwise the runs were not congested. I left after an 1-1/2 hours. 

There was someone from the G-Team that was riding hard boots. I'm not that brave. Will wait till more snow base.

Sweet, I'm surprised I don't see more G-Team carvers at Buck. I got my new slalom Coiler last week but It and my shamrock board are getting tuned right now. Are you planning on going out anytime this week? Maybe I'll dust off an old Burton, it's been 2 years since I've ridden a small radius board...

7pgE6Nw.jpg

Sweet, I'm surprised I don't see more G-Team carvers at Buck. I got my new slalom Coiler last week but It and my shamrock board are getting tuned right now. Are you planning on going out anytime this week? Maybe I'll dust off an old Burton, it's been 2 years since I've ridden a small radius board...

7pgE6Nw.jpg

what's the side cut on that board?

bruce said he's repaired my nirvana. should be here in a few days. it will be close to good as new provided i don't go rock hunting.

i'm not sure what i'll be doing this week. i'm probably going to wait until after the warm weather passes before riding in hardboots.

It's a 164, average radius 10.5. I'll be making so many turns I might never make it down the hill.

That's nice Bruce was able to fix your board. I'm thinking about going out Friday or Saturday morning

That should be a really fun board for our hills. Those photos of Buck look really good, except for the thin spots.  I was up in Duluth this weekend, and though Spirit's making snow, it' mostly at the top for their snowmobile race this weekend.

I'll probably wait til next week to get out, likely at Wild for half price Tuesday.

I plan to come help with the NorAm race at Buck on Dec 19-20 and hope to sneak in a few carves between races.

Edited by bigwavedave

High school ski coaches demand use of lanes at Hyland Hills Ski Area

The group, dubbed “Citizens 4 Hyland,” says that Hyland’s best lanes are unfairly reserved for the Team Gilboa Alpine Ski Team, a private organization. Park officials disagree. 

I demand that all ski teams practice at Hyland until otherwise directed!  :eplus2:

There are many days where buck is crowded with ski practices. Sometimes when I get there and the only run available is Crossroads... and then that's not even enough. After awhile you'll see them taking up 1/3 of the run to set up a course on skiers right. Everytime this happens it makes me wonder if they had permission to take the run, or they can do whatever they want because "i have a drill". Usually I leave after an hour or so. I would hate to be the person who paid for a full day lift ticket.

• Like 1

Skier teams suck at sharing, they all do, they're awful at it. At Powder Ridge they'll run three different race courses (equivalent to taking up all of Milk Run and Crossroads at Buck) and there will be a total of 12-15 people using them. 

Looks pretty grim at Buck right now...

http://www.buckhill.com/winter/clocktowercam.html

Wonder how much drilling it takes to fit a 4x4 Bomber Plate onto a Burton....

Quite a difference from the other day--that's a depressing web-cam view of Buck. Wild's snow cover is holding up better:

http://www.wildmountain.com/webcam

Don't like being reduced to watching videos and weather forecasts while the lonely quiver waits up against the wall. El Niño has been good to Aspen so far--wish I was there.

post-2809-0-75887200-1448488280_thumb.jp

11/28/15

rode softboots.

snow base is still thin along the towers. the cord was soft on crossroads and milkrun. both runs had accumulations of snow on top of cord so it was slow. they also had some small rollers. backside run was hard/soft cord. i think it's almost ready. they just need to spread the snow around.

post-556-0-24626000-1448731409_thumb.jpg

yep... it was all candy and rainbows...

post-556-0-18985300-1448731484_thumb.jpg

... until i got dripped on by the chair. :angryfire   

post-556-0-11468500-1448731527_thumb.jpg

walked up the hill twice because my ass was getting cold from sitting on the wet chair. and there's that oil thing.

googling how to remove oil stains from jackets.

Road with Bob, I think the base along the lift is deeper than you think, that was just dirty snow not actually ground. Snow was soft, I was cutting in dragging my boots and losing a lot of speed.

My new right Head boot is too small, hurts my big toe. Went back to the UPZs, they weren't hurting my arch as much as last year. I don't know how you run non-step in TD3s with UPZs BigWaveDave, the heel makes me angry! lol

My dad is going to come out to Buck tomorrow, I'll be out there early again

11/29/2015

started off with skis and switched to board. erik and randy were hardboots.

snow was okay. 

Dry Slope Plans

buck is studying the feasibility of installing a dry slope. the owners went to Italy to check out the technology. what they're looking at uses bristle mats or tiles. no water is needed. the dry slope tiles would be staked into the ground and remain throughout the year. dave brought out a sample. apparently you can carve on skis with this stuff. 

not sure if this is the manufacturer's site but the bristle mats look identical to the sample dave brought out.

i might've mis-heard dave but the north half of milkrun would be covered from top to bottom with tiles. part of the backside run along the trees might be another slope.

buck may also install a dry slope on crossroads for summer tubing. the tubing run would feature berms to prevent the riders from going to fast and melting the bottom of the tube. there would be an air bag at the bottom of the run for jumping. 

be cool if this happens.

Think it will be packed next weekend? Debating between Buck or Afton to get my gear all dialed in. But don't want to pay for the ticket at either place only to have 75% of usable terrain taken up by ski clinics or race practice.

sunday mornings are usually good. i don't know about clinics or practices. maybe dave aka Speedzilla can chime in here.

buck has $10 tickets on sunday evenings after 7pm. sometimes a line forms out the door so if you do go, get there early. i think you can bypass the line by going to ski school to purchase the ticket.

11/30/15

went out when it was snowing. it was coming down hard with big wet flakes. had to clear goggles midway down. i believe buck has all runs open including the rail yard.

randy - all these years you've been doing it wrong.

crap... why doesn't that video embed? how do you embed youtube videos?

Originally was going to do Sunday, but then Michelle put the cabash on that. Sat morning through lunch it is! Hope to get the whole quiver dialed in, including soft boots (I haven't had softies on my feet in 3 years!). Hope to see you all out there!

Edited by Scott.Creer

"Welcome to the season formally known as winter" :eek: ─Paul Huttner, NPR weatherman today.  Weather outlook for the first half of December looks like we'll have spring conditions in December this year. :mad:  At least there's some snow on the slopes!  Meanwhile...Aspenites struggle with the dilemma of which powder boards to use :confused:

Still thinking about going to Buck on Thursday.

I'm jealous, what board did you ride? Eat lunch on the chair lift?

Softies. Ate quickly while driving. 

Its funny... When I go to Buck for lunch it feels like being in high school and ditching classes to go off campus. 

Yesterday I went skiing over lunch and got 8 runs.

I can only get in a half hour of riding. The other half hour is spent suiting up, driving, and go back to business casual. 

If it were a sunny day I might be tempted to stay longer.

Still don't have bindings mounted. Finally modded my t700s last night. It was installing the fintecs and having issues. Couldn't get one of the screws started. After I got it threaded i tightened it but seemed like the screw would rotate loose, then tight, then loose again as i spun the screw driver. I hope i didn't muck it up. The inserts look like those flanged t-nuts to me. I wish i knew how much to torque to apply.

Somehow i ended up with another box of fintecs. I think i must of ordered them early in the season, packed them away and forgot about them when I ordered boots. Sound familiar Erik?

Might work on bindings tonight.

Edited by bobble