Note to New Members ×

Buck Hill 2015/16

bobble

Cool picks Bob. Did you ever get the gease out of your jacket? I bought some Oxyclean spray and used that on the spots, let it soak for an hour and then washed it. My Jacket is 100% Nylon and I didn't get close to the amount of grease you got on yours. Seemed to work but I don't know if it affected the water proofing of the jacket, it didn't leak any water this morning in the rain.

Cool picks Bob. Did you ever get the gease out of your jacket? I bought some Oxyclean spray and used that on the spots, let it soak for an hour and then washed it. My Jacket is 100% Nylon and I didn't get close to the amount of grease you got on yours. Seemed to work but I don't know if it affected the water proofing of the jacket, it didn't leak any water this morning in the rain.

re: pictures... thanks. joe was the one that talked me into it. i had my gear already packed away. it was funny when the officers stopped to check us out. 

re: jacket... i used Lestoil with a toothbrush. it didn't look like the grease would come out. now the grease won't come out of my teeth. i then tried Shout and that seemed to work. i haven't worn it since. i don't want to go through that again.

did you build that sail? i'd like to see that in action. is the sail pushing or pulling? how fast do you go?

Hi Bob, Yea I used to make and sell them (skate sails) way back in the 1980's. It was my back-up plan for low-snow years. It was also my gateway drug into windsurfing, which was the gateway drug into carving (which also worked for low snow years, what with ski areas making snow).

I built the "ski-boot skates"  (18" blades) as well, but ice skates (ideally long blades) worked well. On snow, we used skis, but needed more wind to overcome the extra friction.  In ideal conditions we could go about 2½ times the wind speed. (I was clocked by radar at 52mph on ice skates!)

Here's a clip from 12/25/11 sailing in about 5mph wind. I'm sailing on the "backside" of sail (protected from the wind), and leaning into it to balance the pressure of the wind. 

Same day, in an ice boat going about 6X the wind speed.

Great way to spend Christmas day!

Buck has been pumping out the snow since last night! Should be good for the NorAm races this weekend, although a little less real estate available for recreational carvers. Last year we were able to blend in with the racers and coaches to get on the hill at 8am for first tracks, although the hill gets butchered in short order. More carvers than you can shake a stick at!

Looks like there will be training on Friday at Buck as well. 

http://medias4.fis-ski.com/pdf/2016/SB/7452/2016SB7452INVI.pdf

Buck really came through with the snow.  Lots of people on the hill, in addition to the racers, with somewhat limited real estate. New man-made snow is not the most fun stuff with alternating hard and soft spots.  Should get better with age and repeated grooming. No complaints from the racers though...

post-2809-0-26606400-1450581330_thumb.jppost-2809-0-83185600-1450581352_thumb.jp

post-2809-0-67448600-1450581376_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Is the christmas eve shred sesh going on this year? I'll be out that morning either way

Found out today that sidewinders with high angles and 1/2" gilmour bias is pretty hero.

Have you been riding at night? How are conditions?

I have been demotivated by the high temps. Last weekend the snow was meh. I don't like rollers.

I'll show up on Christmas Eve but not sure what I'll ride.

i drove by there last night after work. snow looked ok from the distance. definitely soft. the temperature was around 34F.

it didn't motivate me to go home and grab a board. instead i watched netflix "Making A Murderer" for therapeutic reasons.

a kid came down the back side run with speed. i heard his friends say "he's coming down... he's going to do it!". the kid skied right onto the concrete below the clock tower. smh.

buck needs to pour more concrete slabs out onto the run. add that tho the list of improvements.

12/26/15

there was a couple inches of new snow on top of ice. it wasn't terrible. it was slow going down the backside run. felt good to be out. it wasn't very crowded for a holiday weekend.

USASA is having race camp this weekend. when i arrived milkrun already had skiers running gates. the coaches began to rope off half of crossroads with the orange tape. another rider and myself started yelling from the chair to move it back. the coach told us to come on down and discuss. so, we both went down to voice our complaints.  the coach explained that they had race camp, they're setting up three courses and they needed a buffer for safety. he was very apologetic.  the other rider complained about milkrun being rutted and said that one of the reasons he stopped coming to buck was of all the ski racing using up all the runs. again the coach (brad) apologized and said they are aware of the complaints from the public. i didn't say much other than my issue was there was not much space on the run and it is a holiday weekend. it was civil discussion. we shook hands and parted. as we rode the chair we saw them moving the orange tape back. it wasn't as far as i would've liked it but at least they only took a little less than 1/2 the run, enough to set up two courses.

milkrun was rutted. i tried going next to the towers and it was choppy.

crossroads was choppy too.

warners is an anal fissure in progress. there's grass poking through and dirt. midway down from the chute there is a dirt crevice. the snow doesn't cover it. the ground must be eroded in that spot. there was nothing to mark it off. you'd be in trouble if you went into it. 

12/29/15

went out at lunch. parking lot was almost full. two school buses showed up too.  

i think we got 10" or more over night. the snow was tracked out. i was on skis. the only run i could carve was spilling onto teachers pet. the rest of the runs were bumps. only got 5 runs in due to long lines.

went back in the evening on soft boots. snow was surfy on a snowboard. it was fun riding on top of the piles. the middle of crossroads was completely bumped out. each one was a jump. 

Returned to MN yesterday from family trip to Indiana, and what to my wondering eyes should appear, but fresh snow!

Any word on carving conditions?

I plan to be out at Buck new years eve to take in the fireworks show. Not sure yet if I will be out riding on new years day.

Returned to MN yesterday from family trip to Indiana, and what to my wondering eyes should appear, but fresh snow!

Any word on carving conditions?

I plan to be out at Buck new years eve to take in the fireworks show. Not sure yet if I will be out riding on new years day.

carving conditions... i haven't been riding in hardboots. it has been crowded.  they've got race camp going, kids out of school, ski/snowboard lessons, etc. 

not sure if i'll go there at lunch (yeah, working on New Years Eve sucks). the parking lot has been full. only got in 5 runs the other day. not exactly worth the time and effort.

1/2/16

snow was good... well... in most places. scott, myself and i think two g-teamers were out.

• milkrun - bueno! except for when they set up gates.
  • crossroads - bueno! started out great early morning but by midday it was chewed up. marble-like snow. the run was crowded. both of us switched boards.
  • backside - perfecto! as always except for the crowds.
  • olympic - muy bien!
  • warners - muy malo! ok... that run is completely pgucked!!! :AR15firin  it looks like its being prepped for boarder cross. either that or just snow caches. if Red Bull set up Crashed Ice on Warners, then i could forgive but come on!!! groom it!!!
  • terrain park - they have the jumps and equipment spread out over the run. there was a new jump near the trees. the side is an excellent wall to carve... i could not resist..  

lift lines were long. i'm not used to that. ended riding the new chair in order to go down crossroads. left at noon. 

1/3/16

Up On Coiler Mountain

randy, karl, steve, and myself. steve was charged extra for riding an Oxygen.

ski challengeD. there were a lot of contenders. the place was unusually crowded for a sunday morning. even the parking lot had a lot of cars when i arrived.

snow was good. maybe on the soft side. some trenches were deep and wide.  olympic was the place to be... the snow was firmer than crossroads or milkrun. Warners was groomed which helped with the crowd.

my front leg was on fire from riding Olympic. it didn't feel like this yesterday. i stayed until the light got really bad at around 12:15pm. 

Had a good time riding with Bob on Saturday. Terrible boot pain. Trying some extra foam padding for next time inside the shell. the new UPZ liners are junk in my opinion.

Bob, after our conversations about making a murder I checked out reddit on the topic. Holly Cow! I am back on the fence about if he is guilty or not.

@scott

Spoiler Alert! for those who haven't seen Making A Murder... if you have Netflix go watch. almost every episode had me "WTF!!!" out loud and then i'd go talk to ms. bobble about it (she won't watch it).

i saw the link on reddit about avery getting a petition:

i also saw a link buried in there to this:

here's an excerpt from the above link: 

— In the months leading up to Halbach’s disappearance, Avery had called Auto Trader several times and always specifically requested Halbach to come out and take the photos.
— Halbach had complained to her boss that she didn’t want to go out to Avery’s trailer anymore, because once when she came out, Avery was waiting for her wearing only a towel (this was excluded for being too inflammatory). Avery clearly had an obsession with Halbach.
— On the day that Halbach went missing, Avery had called her three times, twice from a *67 number to hide his identity.
— The bullet with Halbach’s DNA on it came from Avery’s gun, which always hung above his bed.
— Avery had purchased handcuffs and leg irons like the ones Dassey described holding Halbach only three weeks before (Avery said he’s purchased them for use with his girlfriend, Jodi, with whom he’d had a tumultuous relationship — at one point, he was ordered by police to stay away from her for three days).
— Here’s the piece of evidence that was presented at trial but not in the series that I find most convincing: In Dassey’s illegally obtained statement, Dassey stated that he helped Avery moved the RAV4 into the junkyard and that Avery had lifted the hood and removed the battery cable. Even if you believe that the blood in Halbach’s car was planted by the cops (as I do), there was also non-blood DNA evidence on the hood latch. I don’t believe the police would plant — or know to plant — that evidence.

i think Avery did it despite the planted evidence. 

i'm not sure about Dassey. something happened but no one can know for sure. the kid shouldn't be in prison. maybe in some other institution or group home for counseling. 

we need Minority Report technology to solve this one but i'll settle for 1-800 psychic hot line or a dowsing rod.

What keeps me on the fence is the intelligence level required to get rid of all the blood evidence that would be present if the crime was committed somewhere on the property. Neither one of them had, quite frankly, the smarts to get rid of all the blood evidence that would exist from committing the murder as described by the DA. 

Not too convinced that I fixed my boot pain issues. I might need to invest in some better liners for the boots.  :angryfire Any recommendations for boot fitters around here?