Note to New Members ×

Buck Hill 2015/16

bobble

Got my boards back last night. Got them all mounted up and ready to ride tonight at Buck. Light plate ready to go on the slalom Coiler, should ride a little different than the Burton.

Couldn't get one of my heel bolts loose on the head boots to remove my Fin Techs, the t nut just spins and I've used a vice grip on it so many times I can't get it clamped on anymore. Pain in the ass....

I had my tnuts break where thread meets the flange so they would spin. I just pried the heel off and hammered out the flange that was stuck under the plastic molding.

Is this your problem too?

If you come this evening be prepared to be pushed off the run. High school teams are practicing.

Edited by bobble

12/3/15

I was in such a rush at lunch that I skiid without my gloves or right lens.

I didn't like Crossroads. Milk run and backside were better. There's dense snow from where they've blown snow. Got just 7 runs in.

I dunno Dave. What did you think?

post-556-0-59278600-1449169253_thumb.jpg

If you tilt your head you can see Dave in a moment of contemplation.

Snow was kinda chunky and inconsistent on the main runs so I spent most of my time over on the bunny hill. Those first turns always feel a bit tentative anyway. Spent time dialing in the new board, rode from 10-2. Felt more like March 3rd than Dec 3rd, despite the long shadows.

A couple of shots from my first run...felt pretty good. Incline baby! :eplus2:

post-2809-0-95580800-1449182264_thumb.jppost-2809-0-36468400-1449182275_thumb.jp

Hats off to Buck for a good job making snow.

That's a deep trench there Dave. I went down Olympic Dreams and when I was going back up on the chair lift I noticed I came about 10" from a dirt ridge on the left side (looking up the hill) Hard to see those things at night. The base is looking good on Crossroads and Milk Run, I'd be extra careful on any other runs and the edges of runs with this warm weather rolling in.

Edit: the snow was good last night, a little rough from lots of skiing/boarding. I got there about 5:30.

Edited by DonPablo

12/4/15

Snow was soft. Good for carving. There are rough spots on crossroads on skiers right. Most people staying close to middle. Milk run was good. Didn't go on Olympic.

Only got 6 runs in at break. On skis.

Big group of kids beat me to the ticket office.

Had to run to ski school to get my Corbin Dallas Multipass.

The lift stopped a couple times with kids tripping while boarding the chair.

May have to drive to Welch. /s

12/5/2015

super warm day. soft snow. brown spots poking through. board sank deep into the snow.

rode hardboots. practically all new gear; new boots and Coiler board that i picked up towards end of season after i ruined my Nirvana. had some difficulties adjusting to the new boots. everything feels off.

place got crowded. rode Olympic for a while to stay away from the crowds. 

post-556-0-28803100-1449356304_thumb.jpg

post-556-0-17591500-1449355717_thumb.jpg

ugh... i felt this.

post-556-0-71588500-1449355822_thumb.jpg

:angryfire  :angryfire  :angryfire  :angryfire  :angryfire  :angryfire

we ventured over to the terrain park which doesn't have any jumps. kind of nice to ride through it.

scott talked to coaches at buck. he found out that buck is going to suspend grooming till it gets colder. i think i might stick with skis or softies.

Courtney Love Killed Kurt Kobain #SoakedInBleach

bruce with Coiler repaired my Nirvana (the back story is on this thread). i just got it yesterday. board looks a helluva lot better than when i shipped it.

here's what he did:

I took out a chunk of the base and drilled the core to allow resin to flow in and repair the fractured core. Hyperflexed it in reverse to bend the area back to normal.  Actually put it back into the press to stick it all back together with a base patch and it all looks good. I still need to sand the area flat but that is a minute or two and its ready to go. Unfortunately my base grinder is still not operational but my sander is working well. It means you will lose that base structure but not much I can do about that at this time. My guess is it should be just about as strong as new but of course with these things you never know. Should stand up to normal riding but of course try to avoid really testing it if you know what I mean(-:

here's the end result! at first i couldn't tell what side had the repair. then after i scraped the wax i could see the lines. i added the blue tape to highlight the patch.

post-556-0-29057500-1449355917_thumb.jpg

looking forward to riding it when we get some decent temps and snow. 

It was fun riding today with bobble. New upz boots have an issue with the liner lifting inside the shell. Shook some of the cobwebs out, but didn't feel even close to 70%. It was really soft.

Tried the soft boots, and wholy cow did I fall on my butt a lot. My heelsides were not right. The new boa boots are freaking amazing though. Wish I had the same heel locking system inside my upzs. Need to relearn the soft booting thing, just wasn't getting it.

Contemplating going out tomorrow... I signed up for the Slalom/GS races at Wild this coming weekend, I need the practice, I do better on the iciest snow than this soft stuff. I was thinking about dropping the plate for racing in this slop. Wonder if there will be enough snow come the weekend.

Contemplating going out tomorrow... I signed up for the Slalom/GS races at Wild this coming weekend, I need the practice, I do better on the iciest snow than this soft stuff. I was thinking about dropping the plate for racing in this slop. Wonder if there will be enough snow come the weekend.

i had a dream early this morning where i was at buck riding in the evening. i was midway down and suddenly all of the lights and the lift shut down. pitch black. couldn't see. i woke up.

i went riding in the yesterday afternoon in softies. i was too busy in the morning writing up a MS Word document listing all the unresolved issues with our remodelling contractor. the latest is he hasn't paid a subcontractor in 76 days (this is the third subcontractor that wasn't paid on time). about 2 weeks ago the same subcontractor showed up at my door at 7AM on a workday. i was just out of the shower. he showed up to inform me he hadn't received payment from the contractor. i said i would follow up. i sent multiple emails to the contractor who still hasn't paid but now wants to amend the contract. on saturday i received texts from the subcontractor that he desperately needs the money to cover truck payment and medical bills. this whole thing is upsetting. in retrospect now i know why he showed up at my doorstep so early in the morning -- he was that desperate but didn't say why.  i am tempted to pay the subcontractor but then how do i get my money back from the contractor??? meanwhile the contractor tweets and posts pictures on instagram drinking at dunn bros, getting an oil change at the honda dealership, his church and Christian beliefs, etc. WTF!!!!  :angryfire 

anyways... yesterday the snow was ok. i walked up the run 6 times. karl was there and leaving deep trenches. you could place your arm in the trench. olympic looked like its losing snow fast. the backside run has turned to mud at the very top. i won't be riding plates until snow has recovered. i'm not sure if i'll bother going there at lunch. 

so if i go in the evening its just for the exercise.

my advise is not to pay the sub. the sub was hired and selected by the general and his relationship is with the general contractor not you. The sub shouldn't be showing up at your door looking for money. You have no relationship to the sub. If you do pay him, even partially, you would not necessarily be entitled to reclaim that money from the general contractor if it comes to litigation. There are several avenues for a sub to have virtually guaranteed payments, so it is on the sub contractor to ensure they get paid from the general contractor.

That's crappy Bob, he really shouldn't be going to you. Trying to scam you?

Patti's assistant couching the Richfield ski team this year, they are going to be on snow tonight but dry land tomorrow.

@randy... the subcontractor is not trying to scam me. last saturday afternoon he copied me on close to 50 texts exchanged between him and the contractor. the contractor was in desperate need of the sub's services. the subcontractor went out of his way and delivered. when it came time to pay up, the contractor wouldn't return phone calls, messages, emails, etc. so he showed up at my doorstep telling me what was happening. when i contacted the contractor and told him that the subcontractor showed up and was informing me that he was going to put a lien on my house, he replied by stating "liens are common in the trades and enforceable upon sale of the home". it was not the answer i expected. no acknowledgement of the problem. doesn't reply that he will settle the matter.

this is the third subcontractor that has had problems. i suspect there might be a couple more.

and now the contractor isn't returning my emails. 2 weeks ago he said a relative had a heart attack. then prior to that he said there was death in the family. i guess this precludes him from paying his subs and finishing the remodels he started in March???  :angryfire

@scott... good advice. recovery of the money is a big concern for me too. 

Got about 10 runs in, lots of brown spots around, three good size ones where everyone puts on their skis/board outside the main chalet. Gloves got so wet I could ring them out.

They wouldn't let any of the high school teams setup gates because of the conditions, but when I was leaving there was people with Highland Hills Ski Team coats setting up gates on Milk Run...

Bob,

If you pay the sub, make SURE you get an invoice.

My brother has looked at three jobs in the last month where the contractor just walked away after running into an unforscene challenge, all about half done.

Crazy times.

Edited by MUD
  • Like 1

Doug. I was advised by Dept of Labor & Industry not to pay and to tell the sub to file a complaint with them. I just spoke to DLI at lunch. The general is in violation for not paying subs and they will make sure he either pays up or that he loses his license. As a homeowner I can't do this step. Only the sub can do it.

I have to get quotes from other contractors on what it would take to finish the job. I would use that in conciliation court to get a judgment against him. After that I can then file a claim with DLI to get money from the contractors recovery fund.

But before that step I can file a complaint with BBB. This step is optional. They can't make him pay but the complaint be visible to general public. After 30 days I can go to court.

I'm hoping I can get this resolved. Lot of steps. And I'm only seeking what's fair. What pisses me off is seeing pictures of my bathrooms on Twitter and Instagram. And he's posted pictures of a home addition.

Where's the snow?

Just made plans for attending the 2016 Aspen Trenchin' Convention. They've been having a pretty good winter so far...Buttermilk yesterday...from SoftBootSailer's post...

post-2809-0-92377500-1450034108_thumb.jp

Looks like we might get snowmaking weather later in the week. This is the worst start to winter I can remember. :angryfire

Anyone else think DonPablo looks a lot like John Travolta in that clip at the bottom of Buck in post #46? Funny, you never know what someone really looks like under all their winter garb. :cool:

Looks like we might get snowmaking weather later in the week. This is the worst start to winter I can remember. :angryfire

Yeah, this weather sucks. You know what else sucks? Hearing people say "I love this warm weather". 

Joe Doctor, Gretchen and myself went out on Lake Pending-Name-Change (aka Lake Calhoun) on Saturday. Ms. Bobble hung out in the SAG wagon. It was in the low 40F range. It took about an hour to go around the lake. Two officers from the Sheriff's department greeted us at the north beach when we got off the lake. They wanted to check our boards for registration. It was all cool. Joe gave the officers excellent tips on boater safety. 

Oh... And I learned that my inflatable life vest doesn't work well at 30F. 

post-556-0-09829000-1450057287_thumb.jpg

post-556-0-36491900-1450057253_thumb.jpg

post-556-0-55356100-1450058034_thumb.jpg

post-556-0-83899600-1450057365_thumb.jpg

post-556-0-28290000-1450057397_thumb.jpg

Edited by bobble
  • Like 2