Note to New Members ×

Is this too much board for me? ( F2 Speedster RS Equipe 185)

st_lupo

Hi All,

I just found a 2014 F2 Speedster RS Equipe 185 for a really good price.  I've read some favorable reviews on the board and have had a recommendation that I should have several different styles of carving boards at different legths in my quiver to really get to know the sport.  I've also read that GS boards are a bit more formidable and not suitable for beginners.  Where I'm at right now:

Experience: 1st season on hardboots this year with 6 days on the snow

Current Board: F2 Silberpfeil 169

Bindings: F2 Titanium Race (65/60)

Style: Bomber (? I wouldn't say I have any style but this is what I am aiming for)

I'd say that I'm currently able to carve greens and blues (not incompetent but not beautiful either) and don't screw up too badly on reds given good snow days.  I have a tendency for more speed rather than completing full 180 degree turns (but I hope to focus more on performing fuller turns next year), and my tracks, while carved, represent more of a snake going over the whole mountain as opposed to a set of linked semicircles.  I'm looking for a board to grow into over the next few seasons (before I can justify a major investment in one of the custom brands), that will perform well on ice and choppy snow at the bigger Norwegian ski areas.  A board that I have a reasonable chance of mastering before it kills me.

Would getting the Speedster RS 185 be a stupid thing for me to do?  What other considerations should I take into account when deciding on a carving board?  I read that GS boards tend to need more speed before being able to turn, all things are relative so how much speed are we talking about: 30kmh, 60, more?

Thanks!

Edited by st_lupo

Your weight? And slope widths in the place you typically ride? 

If you're 85+ kilos and it's pretty wide(say you're using 30-50% of width when riding) you're good to go. 

You'd probably have problems:

-light rider(65 kilos or so)

-narrow slope. You're riding silber from one side to another. GS will tend to go wider.

-short slope. With GS you'll get less turns => less fun. You can literally run short slope with 10 turns. That's no fun. 

If the price is right you can buy one and use it next season.

Personally I wouldn't go for it if the price is more then 400Euros. Not that it doesn't cost that money, but for 500Euros you can get a titanal GS board(used) which is another league. 

Ooops, height and weight... 6ft 1inch, 190llb (86kg).  Slopes where I ride are kind of on the narrow side, so I saw this board as more of something to take on trips to broading the riding experience when visiting the bigger ski areas.  Price is around 200 euros + shipping.

Starting to get the impression that this is more of an impulse buy that I should just leave alone...

maybe, maybe not. it's meant for racing, which is lots of comparatively brief turns. the silberpfeil is meant for fun carving and hooking big turns. it's not to say that fun carving isnt possible on the WC, but it's going to be quite different.

if it's a great price, buy it and dont ride it until halfway through next season, when you're strong and find someplace WIDE, SMOOTH and QUIET.

edit: just saw it's an equipe. skip it unless you want to end up in orbit.

Edited by kieran

if it's a great price, buy it and dont ride it until halfway through next season, when you're strong and find someplace WIDE, SMOOTH and QUIET.

Is agree with this, provided it's cheap enough. I bought an F2 186 RS in my second year of alpine riding. That board scared the hell out of me! I did something like two runs across two days about a month apart and then sold it.

In hindsight, I'd love to try it again now.

Ignoring everything else, the fact that you have only six days in hard boots is enough for me to say to stay off the 185.  Now, delving deeper...

I have never ridden an F2, but generally speaking, a 185 GS board is not something to be trifled with.  Bring your A game and don't get stupid, or prepare to be hurt.  Unless that Silberpfeil you're on now is an absolute clapped out turd, it will take you further than you're giving it credit for.  Like you, early on I thought that I was ready for a 185 after a short while on a 168.  I had my ass handed to me by said 185 and went limping (literally) back to the 168 to get more learning in.  When you'll be ready for the 185 is impossible to answer.  You'll never be "ready" for it.  It's unlike and probably more intense than anything you've ever experienced on the snow, and the best approach is that of extreme caution.  

As for the speed?  Depends on the snow, the pitch of the slope, side cut, board construction, and where you fall in the weight range.  For what it's worth, there's about a 10- 15 MPH difference between my 168 and 185 Kesslers.  More to the point, on the same slope, I can link C turns within four cat tracks on the 168 (8-12M radius), but need seven for the 185 (12-21M radius).  Since the 185 you're looking at has a single radius of 18M, expect it to need more room than mine.  If you don't have the real estate to let a 185 run and maneuver, you're going to hurt yourself or someone else.  As I told another fellow on here via PM, don't skip leg day or ignore strengthening your core muscles if you plan on riding a 185, because when that nose comes around through the fall line and the g- forces start really building, you'll get sucked right down into the board. 

If you can afford to buy it and not ride it for a while, go for it.  The step from 169 to 185 is unfathomable.  I'll second the wise suggestion of getting an intermediate board in the 173- 177cm range to ride before you get on the 185.  

• Like 1

It isn't the length so much as the design. My 180 Nirvana is a pussycat, you could probably jump on it and have fun. An old Madd 158 will kick your ass.

Reading these boards, there are some folks that are eternally chasing the ideal ride. That's fun if you have the coin and the days on snow to make it worthwhile. But for a lot of us with limited means and access to snow, I believe its wiser to stick to one board and learn it well, so long as that board is suitable. The Silberpfeil is a well-respected freecarver. Work with it. The 185 Equipe is too much board for you right now IMNSHO.

I agree with the other folks above who said if you want it, go ahead and buy it now, as long as you can afford to let it sit for a couple of seasons while you work up to it. On the other hand, if you're not going to be able to ride it effectively for a couple of years, what's the hurry? It will likely be cheaper if you look for another one in two years or so.  

Silver is a great board for groomers. It would take you far in your learning process. You don't need a 185. As a matter of fact hardly anyone does unless WC rider :) You'd be better of with a nice wider all mountain carver 165 to 175 for the days when the groom is not so good. Add a pow board too and you'll hardly ever need anything else...

Said the guy with 40 boards in his garage... ;)

• Like 1

Ooops, height and weight... 6ft 1inch, 190llb (86kg).  Slopes where I ride are kind of on the narrow side, so I saw this board as more of something to take on trips to broading the riding experience when visiting the bigger ski areas.  Price is around 200 euros + shipping.

Starting to get the impression that this is more of an impulse buy that I should just leave alone...

Well, yep, this sounds like an impulse buy, but you'll likely regret about it next seaon(better say next march).

Personally, for 200Euros I'd it, if I were you. Especially if it's in great condition.

With 86 kilos the only thing that can stops you from getting fun is experience, and you will get some later.

edit: just saw it's an equipe. skip it unless you want to end up in orbit.

What's wrong with equipe. Hope he knows there's no titanal in the board.

You can end up flying with any GS, no mater if there's titanal or not.

It depends lot also where in Norway you ride and when, but i would propose to skip it, except you ride on non-weekend days in Oppdal :)
You can image that this board will make double size turns as your current ones and with higher speed. Do you see it something you look after
Tapatalk and Lumia 1020

Edited by pokkis

What's wrong with equipe. Hope he knows there's no titanal in the board.

You can end up flying with any GS, no mater if there's titanal or not.

i've found titanal to be the difference between 'huh, that was close' and 'omg i'm going to die' once or twice.

the thrill of scenario number two is only worth it if you get away with it. ;)

i've found titanal to be the difference between 'huh, that was close' and 'omg i'm going to die' once or twice.

the thrill of scenario number two is only worth it if you get away with it. ;)

For me, the difference is between taking a week or two off to recover and contemplate my poor life choices, and just calling it a day early and having a brew in the pub next to the lodge.   :ph34r:

You know, come to think of it, I bought an aspirational board like this in my first season on plates. It was a Proton GS 172 -- the black topsheet with red graphics, and it was in a local shop's clearance bin. I think I paid $150 for it. The first season, I didn't ride it at all, the 2nd season it scared me silly, but by the 3rd or 4th season I got my legs under me to the point that I could have fun with it. It was my primary alpine board for a couple of seasons, then I eventually moved on to metal. Now it's in my basement, waiting for a plate :)

Any way, if you can put up with your friends teasing you for owning a board that you're too scared to ride (or maybe your friends are nicer than mine), then you should get it!

Thanks for all of the info folks. It sounds like a 50/50 split. My impression is that it is a lot of board for the money but is further out of my ability than I realized. I dont have a bottomless budget so I'm thinking its better bang for the buck if I hold on to the money and instead save it towards one of the european carving events next season and try joining a clinic or class.

Didn't mean to sound like I thought I had outgrown the Silber. Mine is in great condition and I love riding it. Its like a gocart in the best way. There is a looong way before I master that board. I was fortunate enough to get one extra day on the snow and had a couple of runs with a colleague. He has the exact same board but years of experience. When he rode he was probably going 2/3 the speed I was but making two absolutely beautiful turns for each one of mine and really getting close to the snow. Lots to learn and seasons are too short...

Ground control to Major Kong...

The odds of deriving any real benefit from the big F2 in the near future are slim.

But then it appears you've got it sorted at this point.

At your current stage of development, what you're after is a board that has you actively looking for 'more' as you ride the slow line, rather than looking for 'less' on the fast line.

I.e., foot on the throttle, not the brake; gliding fast across the hill with each turn while descending slowly down the fall-line.

Similarly, you want constant, consistent repeatability of productive outcome.

Hit the target with every shot, and then move the grouping toward the bulls-eye.

Which suggests a relatively soft board (proportional to your body weight) with a smaller sidecut. 

Or, you can go for the big gun, and exult in that one, brief, quality turn.

Edited by Beckmann AG
  • Like 2