Note to New Members ×

25 year+ riding club

jtslalom

Started in 87' first day on snow was in Austria at Gerlosplatte

- I am in my 28th season and didn't really start carving until 89/90 on my PJ6 at Toggenburg, NY

- I've been carving for 66% of my life

- back pain is a new thing for me

- my riding seems to continue to evolve and improve

-  if you are 28 or younger please don't respond to this thread  :eek:

Talk about being among the elders of the tribe- I think it's great that there are so many of snowboarding's "first generation" still cranking turns on this forum!

As long as you're still grinning after those days on your board, then the sport will always be in good hands...

Talk about being among the elders of the tribe- I think it's great that there are so many of snowboarding's "first generation" still cranking turns on this forum!

As long as you're still grinning after those days on your board, then the sport will always be in good hands...

Well said!!! 

Occasionally I have the pleasure to work with younger riders that have an understanding of this statement.   They are respectful and SHOW they are honored to be offered the riding wisdom and time investment of an elder tribesman.   I have stated on many occasions to the new rider " Senior alpine riders are happy to GIVE you better "GIFTS" than you can buy, if you simply listen and offer them respect"   This is true of life in general and if it is understood , it can pay big dividends and change your life.  I have been fortunate in my life to have those Elder Tribesman within the IBEW, tradesman organizations,  alpine community, etc give me some of the greatest gifts in my life!!    We have a strong history and we WILL 'Live Long and Prosper" . 

• 4 weeks later...

What a trip. . .

Started boarding in winter of 1987 riding down hills in Missouri with the trucks taken off my sakteboard and paracord through the holes to hold my combat boots on. Got on my first real board in 1988 at Big Bear on a rented Sims. My parents gave me a board for xmas the following year.

Since then I've been lucky enough to live in some fantastic spots for progressing my riding. . .made a couple life changing trips up to AK and now I'm back in CA living in the desert, but I can see Bear Mountain off in the distance and I get plenty of time to hit Mammoth.

I love riding pow and backcountry when that's an option, but this last couple of seasons has me yearning for something new on all these sunny days we seem to have here. I've been running into more alpine guys out and about, lately, and they sent me here.

Edited by ghettoraid

ghettoraid  Welcome to BOL!!!  and the 25year + crew!!   I think you will find it is a great group of guys and gals that carry a spirit in keeping with the early days of riding.   Not following the crowd but finding their own line.    Welcome!!  Bryan 

The "Ride Board" is a great way to meet up with fellow BOL members in your area.  They often have gear to loan , but more importantly , they 

share the stoke to get you past the first few runs that can be rough.  The "Classifieds" have excellent equip bought and sold every day at great prices.   You are in the right place to expand your very deep snowboard life adventures.   Ride on!!

For a bit I thought i had all of you beat, but @text1230 ties me.  I purchased my original, Winterstick Roundtail the Winter of 80-81, before I could even drive.  What I wouldn't give to have that original board back. Broke it on a jump but was bitten by the bug forever and got another Winterstick and a couple of Burton Woodies soon after.  They hang on the wall in my basement now (and are my avatar pic).  Mrs Duke removed them and put them in the furnace room when I was in Iraq but they are back in their rightful place now!

I really only have about 10 yrs real experience "Sticking" (as we used to call it) so I don't qualify for total time but do for "how long ago".  The early years were hiking all day for one run, and as a US Naval Officer I have spend some time in areas with little chance for sticking, ie a small island in the East China Sea.....But, I did dream about riding those years :)  And...I'm back in snow now!

Some photos from the early years:

http://desertdukephotos.smugmug.com/Misc/Snowboard-shots-from-80s/

Duke!!  Those are some great photos.  I bet you are so glad you have them to help relive the good ole days!!

Some rare boards in the mix too! Burton Performer Competition (blue 84 with ptex base) is very sought after. 

Thanks for sharing. 

That blue 84 is in MINT condition.  I always rode the red woody or the Winterstick (emphasis on the Winterstick).  The blue I purchased just to loan out when talking noob friends into going with me.  It has been ridden....maybe 10 times.  Not a mark on it.  I even have the original box!!

• 2 weeks later...

27 and counting.  I started the season of 87/88 at Sugarloaf USA, one of only 2 that would allow us on the hill in Maine anyway. Burton Cruzer 165 ugly thing, then Barfoot 1/2 pipe, another Barfoot freestyle, Avalanche Damain Dagger(complete with hardboots and plates), Arbor Roundouse 167 both with plates and softies, now a Winterstick All Mountain, and next I am hoping for a Winterstick ST.  Enjoy the ride, make it a long one.........few more days left this season in Maine.

• 4 months later...