Note to New Members ×

I have some questions about shin bang and would like everyone to chime in.

That Guy...

I've had a problem  with pain on the out side front leg. I don't think it's fathead syndrome, but it may be from running a tight booster strap. Feels like it's right where the fibula is. I've been experimenting with a wide (2'') strap and it has helped. I may need to rig up a spoiler on the back- sides of the boot, so the strap doesn't squish my leg on the sides.

This is with Deluxe Suzukas. There is no way I could ride with out a beefy booster strap as shin bang would set in immediately. YMMV.

I figured I'd post an update as a closer of sorts for anyone reading this down the road...

I applied the changes in technique outlined by Beckmann AG, and had a pain free day on the snow, and as a greatly appreciated added bonus, my heel sides are much smoother.  I feel like I'm coming around quicker, but I'm not forcing and fighting the board anymore.  Rather than standing up completely at the transition and crossing over, I stayed tucked in and started working on cross under and cross through, and that helped calm my upper body considerably between turns and greatly quickened and smoothed out the transitions.  

I do have the extensions that I made on the boots, and I no longer feel hot spots at the cuffs like I used to.  I didn't change anything with my stance; I simply added 2.5" or so to the height of the shell of the boot on the sides and front, bringing it up almost as high as the tops of the liners.  Interestingly, I find it much easier to flex the boots, but I feel like the board is more responsive to minor inputs under conditions and situations other than what I was working on today.  I do still have a tender spot on my rear leg at the 11 o'clock position.  Without the extension, it's right at the cuff of the shell and hurts pretty significantly if I lean forward.  With the extension, I didn't feel it all day today.  I even crashed on purpose once and jammed the board into the snow to get it to chatter.  There was some discomfort, but nothing nearly as debilitating as before without the extensions.

So, I guess that's a wrap.  I'm back on the snow a better rider, and believe I have solved the pain issue.  Thanks everyone for your input and advice!  

This was not an issue last year.  The change going into this year initially was the step ins. 

Might be worth going from step-ins back to standards for comparison.  I, too, had pain on the outside of my front shin (more on the side than front) after switching to step-ins one year.  I never linked the pain to switching bindings until I happened to swap back into my standards one day and noticed for the first time all season I had no pain.  After further experimentation with switching between standard and step-ins, I eventually got rid of the step-ins.  Have been riding pain free ever since.

Used Shintronics for a couple of years the first days of the season. Don't use them anymore. My shins can take the pressure more or less when I am on a raceboard, but my left shin (regular) is still a little sore at the end of the day. I noticed that when I lowered the stance angles, it helped. My toes are over the edges of my Jasey Jay Interface (plate) system and a little over the edges of the board. Still enough space to not drag my toes through the snow. I use Deeluxe Track 700 with Strolz liners (stiff set up, no flex for utmost control). When I use my softer UPZ boots (rather soft with springsystem and strap) I have no problems at all. So a soft set up (soft flexing hardboots with springsystems) can help. Also adapting ridingstyle can help ( I like to push my boots very hard forward and that won't help preventing shinbang very much).

I too will chime in with a testimonial for BTS.  While it may not match the OP's issue, I also had shin bang at the start of each season, on the front of my back leg.  I use two older pair of Raichle boots, and adding BTS (one pair yellow, one blue - can't really feel a lot of difference), I've forgotten all about shin bang.

• 8 months later...

I have Head Stratos but have ridden Burton Megaflex (others), and several Raichle models over the years.  The Stratos have the BTS on it.  I do ride with TD3 step-ins.  The liners I have on the Heads are 7+ year old Thermoflex.  I use Shintronics and a booster strap (played around with location some).  I still get shin bang.  I'm wondering if after 20+ years of riding, 80-100 miles a week of running during h.s. and college has just given me old bones and there's nothing else to do.  Wondering if new thermoflex and maybe converting my td3 to side winders would do the trick or if my form is so old school that's what's causing it.

Picked up this little tid bit from an old Warren Miller video. Take a baggie put some Armoral or  WD30 in it seal it up and place it between your sock and the boot Reduces all friction between surfaces. If Warren says it works it will work.

Edited by lowrider
  • Like 1

I like the wd40 idea - have never heard of that but willing to give anything a try as it does seem to friction related to some point.  Reading my post after a good nights sleep I think I was looking for some justification to splurge and get the sidewinders.  WD40 in a bag is WAY less expensive.

You are dealing with a number of issues but the weakest link is your soft tissue. Everything else you do  to help  reduce the pressure on that point of contact will benefit to some degree. The sidewinders will help take some of the shock out of the assembly without loosing the feel of the board. I'd go for the Sidewinders but  with 30% exchange + duty and 2X the shipping costs for delivery to Canada. WD40 and a baggie will have to do me for now ! :1luvu:

• Like 1

DIY solution very cheap: two 3cm wide x 10cm long strips or 3-4mm neoprene, glued on the tongue of the boot ( toward chin of course), appart from each other about 10mm. Axis of gluing should be the place where the pain is bigger( usually where the bone is closer to the skin). Worked great in my boots before I switched to injected liners.

N

^

^ Using the Shintronic is like upgrading the impact of your bumper from 5mph to 8mph while driving into a solid object at 10mph.

Nils use of neoprene strips with a gap essentially clears a path  to remove/reduce the possibility of collision.

The bottom line is that the face of the shin isn't 'intended' to handle sustained pressure, regardless of what you read in the popular press.

• Like 1

If you use a booster strap properly and have shin bang on the front foot, use less front foot lift, your fighting yourself, angle the boot forward some, or less front lift, set up away from pain, pain on the side of front or rear, cant away from pain.

Shintronics are great for delux boots, way to much ankle volume, head and UPZ don't have wasteful volume, be surprised to hear of shintronics in head or UPZ boots.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Two days (28th January 2017) into a 16 day snowboarding trip to the USA and I develop a reddened, almost blistering area over the front of my rear boot shin, just below the top of the boot cuff. The boots are UPZ RC10s that I've only recently bought to replace my Head Stratos Pros. I'd developed a similar problem after 8 days riding in the same boots last August in NZ.

So I put my thinking cap on. This has the potential to ruin a much anticipated trip. Blisters are commonly caused by a shearing/rubbing injury on the damaged tissue.

Hypothesis: The problem is being caused because my sock & the boot liner cuff material are sticking rather than sliding past one another, and the subsequent movement of my leg as the boot is flexed/deflexed is creating shearing forces that are directly transferred to my shin skin as a result.

Experiment: If I protect the reddened area with a blister pad, then decouple sock & liner with some thin friction reducing layer, the problem should settle down. I take a Glad snap-lock plastic bag and cut out one wall, then attach Velcro hook dots to each corner to hold it in place against the sock.

Result: It's now Feb 7th, and I've ridden every day since. The reddened area had completely healed within 4 days, I've continued to have a blister dressing over the spot just in case, and there has been no recurrence. I've been riding 25,000 to 35,000 vertical feet every day in between and pushing the limits of a new Coiler Nirvana Energy.

blister dressing crop.jpg

plastic bag layer.jpg

A plastic baggie with some liquid in it ( Pam aerosol ) Armoural (auto motive protectant) or similar slippery liquid placed in front of your injured body part and boot will reduce the friction and aid to cushion to affected area. Very small amt. of liquid needed and double bagging to prevent a leak. 

It's apparently a common problem with UPZ's. To prevent in the future, make sure top buckles are very snug so there is no play between leg and cuff. This was advice given to me by racers on the NorAm and world cup circuit regarding the UPZ 10s.

One of those beer can cozy things cut in half makes a quick & easy cuff cushion.

Edited by bigwavedave

The issue here, in and of what I can see, is your choice of socks. Thorlo, Darn-Tough, Columbia, Burton, Cabot+Sons, and Smartwool all make decent, warm, thin 'Ski' or "Boarding" socks that would reduce the friction at the shin. But, also, having a cobbler sew in a layer of lesser-friction fabric on the inner of the liner's tongue might do the trick.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, bigwavedave said:

It's apparently a common problem with UPZ's. To prevent in the future, make sure top buckles are very snug so there is no play between leg and cuff. This was advice given to me by racers on the NorAm and world cup circuit regarding the UPZ 10s.

Rip that crappy stock top strap off and put on a BOOSTER strap. So much better on the RC 10s.

• Like 1

Okay, I solved my shin bang.....quick history.

• Been hard booting since 1998. Started with a Riot Super Carve and Raichle 324 boots.
  • Purchased first Donek 185 FreeCarve in 2004.
  • Purchased second Donek 185 Freecarve in 2010.
  • Ski between 40-50 days per year.
  • Finally broke down last year, 15\16 year, and purchased new boots Deelux T325. Took 1/2 half of last year continuing to shape the liner to relieve all pressure points. Rice, sock and microwave is the best tool to mold those liners.
  • Feet were not sore riding, but my rear front shin got shin bang and for the rest of last year thought it was the new boots.
  • Started this year very active with 3 consecutive days of hard pressing and my rear shin bang flared to where it was a very hard to press thru the pain. 
  • Went for a week of skiing a few weeks ago and prior to the trip I ordered my 3rd Donek 185 Freecarve and had it delivered during my vacation.
  • By the time I received my new boards, my shin was a total wreck.
  • I started skiing on the new FC185 and my style changed a little as the edges were so sharp that they road a rail the whole way. Sliding is not what you want to do.
  • I have ridden the new FC185 7 times now over the last two weeks and my shin in almost painless.

My theory! As you all have suggested it is a style or stance adjustment that you need to make to reduce or eliminate your shin bang. My old board has been placed on the grinder once a year and I continually touch up thru the year with a dial a degree file. Here's where you can call me a dumbass. For the last two years I have not taken the board in for a grind, but with work and not wanting to give up the board for 2-3 days, I never took the board in to be ground.......DA I know. Therefore, when I jumped on the board this year I knew the edges were not perfect, but got used to the not so pure carve unless the conditions were soft. Therefore, I think that my body pressure was compensating for the dull edges and not riding the rail.....

Since I have been riding the new board I am carving perfect 12.5M arcs and am feeling like every turn is a hero turn. I just got off the hill and even with blue ice at the top of the steep runs, I had no issue with carving and was riding perfect rails.

So I agree with those that there is an adjustment or style change, but do remember that this might only be a boot o binding adjustment, but also always have perfectly sharp edges and this will make you ride the rail and not slip a all. This makes your balance correct and are able to push board thru the arc, not slipping and getting pressure points that are not good.

Edit: holy thread-revival batman! Didn't realize this was such an ancient thread!

Shin bang sucks, I've dealt with it in the past. Back when I first got back into riding alpine I was in a pair of heads and had consistent shin-bang issues. I tried lots of stuff (BTS, boot modifications, different liners, eliminator tongues, booster straps ... you name it) but the problem never really went away until I switched to a different boot. 

Head Stratos have a design flaw that causes the liner to pack out prematurely in the lower section of the cuff, causing just the kind of looseness that can cause shin-bang.

The flaw is: the instep buckle is very high, such that it wraps around the lower area of the cuff, but it is anchored to the lower (stationary) part of the boot. The result is that as the cuff flexes forward the instep buckle tightens over the lower part of the boot (since it cannot move with the cuff, being anchored to the lower). This squeezes the liner, causing it to pack out. You end up with looser fit as the day/season continues ... and loose fitting boots cause shin bang and other issues. 

Neither Deeluxe, nor UPZ boots have this flaw.

Some people really need to ride the head boots because the have massive club feet that will literally not fit into any other boot .., but unless you are massively club-footed, you can almost certainly fix this issue by switching to a better boot.

Edited by queequeg

• 2 years later...

An addition to the list of potential shin pain/bruising/blistering causes & solutions.

Spent yesterday at an indoor snow slope experimenting with setups and getting a sliding fix. (Hi, my name is Alan and I've been a snowboarding addict for 11 years. It all began when I first climbed on a Burton PJ 6.2......)

I ride regular, with Intec bindings, UPZ RC 10s. I had set a pair of F2s to 65 degrees, 5 degrees higher than I normally ride, to ensure there was no boot out on a narrow board I have. Rode for a couple of hours on 2 different boards, aiming for hard low no touch turns. Stopped for a rest because my front, left, lower leg was hurting so much. Took my boots off and limped across the cafeteria for lunch. Tender spot was on the left side of my left lower leg, it was visibly swollen. 

Reset the bindings to 60/60 and put my boots back on. Rode the same angles for the next 3 hours, experimenting with different lift combos. End of the day the left leg pain was much less and the swelling had gone down.

---------

My take on this is that with a laterally stiff Intec binding setup even small changes in stance angle, especially to higher angles can create a need for small amounts of canting to align the lower leg and boot angles again.

My normal stance distance and 60/60 angles is a neutral cant setup. Going higher creates a potential need for a small amount of outward cant because, side to side my feet are now closer together. The change from 60 to 65 degrees reduces the distance 4.2 cm. The F2s have no capacity for incremental cant, it's 3 degrees or nothing. Not providing the cant created extra pressure on the outward side of my front leg, hence the pain. Restoring the neutral 60/60 setup relieved the pressure and allowed me to ride and the leg to start to recover. 

Bail bindings and TD Sidewinders have more lateral flexibility, and will therefore be more tolerant of changes in binding angle and the resulting changes in leg lateral angulation and boot alignment. 

(This explanation is based on my geometric theory linking stance distance and binding angles to the need for cant and lift.)