Note to New Members ×

BlueB

I don't mean to revive a thread that seemed to rub some nerves raw....but did anyone buy one of these and ride it last season?  I would love to hear a review from someone that bought one of their boards.

• 2 weeks later...
I have bought a 175 wide, build on the Sputnik camber but 21 cm wide.

Very nice board so well built and so fun in carving.

The only problem is that as said , is too stiff. So in normal conditions works well but on ice has some problems.

I have some ride on the Sputnik wide ad has the same behaviour but works better because is softer.

The 169 FC is a very versatile an everyday free carving board

The 173-2 as the same behaviour with some more cm of edge

The Bulat 161 and 168 are average carving wide boards, I'm not on Extreme Carving but who rides the EC technique said that are carving boards and not extreme carving boards

The 177 race is a nice race board that can be used also for free carving
Edited by jacopodotti

I have bought a 175 wide, build on the Sputnik camber but 21 cm wide.
Very nice board so well built and so fun in carving.
The only problem is that as said , is too stiff. So in normal conditions works well but on ice has some problems.

I have some ride on the Sputnik wide ad has the same behaviour but works better because is softer.

The 169 FC is a very versatile an everyday free carving board

The 173-2 as the same behaviour with some more cm of edge

The Bulat 161 and 168 are average carving wide boards, I'm not on Extreme Carving but who rides the EC technique said that are carving boards and not extreme carving boards

The 177 race is a nice race board that can be used also for free carving

Thanks Joco.  Good input and much appreciated.

The normal narrow Sputnik is a super nice board. If the core thickness is the same on the wide one, I can see how it would be a bit too stiff...

What is a carving vs extreme carving board??? I was able to EC just about any board I've ridden, providing it wasn't way over or under my weight. Bulats performed really well in EC department.

Duke, you are still learning alpine, right? I'd really recommend their SL in suitable length and weight range. They are super versatile. With weight range, rather make error on too soft side.

Edited by BlueB
  • Like 1

The normal narrow Sputnik is a super nice board. If the core thickness is the same on the wide one, I can see how it would be a bit too stiff...

What is a carving vs extreme carving board??? I was able to EC just about any board I've ridden, providing it wasn't way over or under my weight. Bulats performed really well in EC department.

Duke, you are still learning alpine, right? I'd really recommend their SL in suitable length and weight range. They are super versatile. With weight range, rather make error on too soft side.

Thanks.  I emailed them and was told the 168 FC would be a good beginner board.  It was not on the list of boards you reviewed (probably because it is a starter board).  Still looking around.  Plenty of time before the snow flies.

As said I'm not an ECier, I'm too tall fat and lazy for it.
People said that the difference is that in correct EC technique the body is not sliding on snow , it is  few cm above.
People said that in normal conditions it carves well but in difficoult conditions it has some problems.

Thanks.  I emailed them and was told the 168 FC would be a good beginner board.  It was not on the list of boards you reviewed (probably because it is a starter board).  Still looking around.  Plenty of time before the snow flies.

The 168 FC is 16 cm wide, how it could be a biginner board?

Maybe the 164 FC or the 169FC.

The 168 FC is 16 cm wide, how it could be a biginner board?

Maybe the 164 FC or the 169FC.

I'm not knowledgeable enough to answer your question Joco. it is the info they gave me.  I wear UPZ 25.5s and don't think 16cm will bother me too much though.....but I've never been on a skinny board so I may change my mind on day one. ??  One thing this season did do for me is to get me used to an alpine stance.  In fact, I rotated my back foot considerably on my soft setup.

the 169 FC does have more camber and the 168FC seems to have very little.  I just told them that this is my first alpine season and such was their recommendation.  This is the info from their site on the 168FC:

The most pleasant, comfortable and undemanding model in the lineup.

This snowboard will bring you the joy of carving, even if you have no time and energy for training, but only couple of weekend for good time with friends and family. Board would just carry you, wherever you wish. It initiates the turn, holds the trajectory and changes the edge. You don’t need a technique, don’t need fitness — just use the “Force”.

I has been invited to this discuss about our boards.

168FC & 172FC is very comfortable for ride. Minimal actions for initial turn. Very stable. Very easy finish turn.

Both boards use sport camber (168GS & 172GS) = have rockers.

"Narrow" is not a problem for this sheaf between shape & camber.

By last season we sold a lot of 168FC (172FC was started in March, 2015) and all customers notice about very easy initial turn and board stable.

This is the cause why it is affordale for a novice if his/her boots let use this board.

Edited by Alexey

• 2 weeks later...
Ciao Alexey, I remember that you told me that the 168 FC is one of your favourite board but in my opinion it could be great for somebody who is already on a carving board.

A board so narrow initiates so easy to carve but is also so unstable. I have huge feet so I didn't have a ride on it.

The 169 FC, that it is still too narrow for me, is a great board that gives a lot of fun, a real allround board quick and tight turns and also great on medium speed.

169FC have 19.2cm waist = wide board.

Most of freecarver customers looking for 17-18.5cm waist boards at size 165-175cm

For big foot guys we have Bulat 168 with 22.1 waist. Also we can produce this board by sport camber (168GS). As result initial turn will start more fast and more easy.

p.s. 169FC is good but the board have not a soul. Nevertheless Italinan guys like this model.