Note to New Members ×

¡HELP! Suggestions needed for family spring break trip March 17-21 (2014)

lonbordin

So I'm trying to plan a Midwest trip for late March (dates in title).

So the hill has to be:

-bigger than my local bump (300ft vert, >100 acres)

-fully functioning in late March

-have opportunities for my spouse to snowshoe (and maybe XC)

-have groomed runs (less crowded the better)

-have some racing (not as important)

-have lodging nearby with a kitchen (minimum 1 enclosed bedroom)

-it be great if there was a brewery with good food nearby (a boy can dream)

Using MountainVertical as my guide the early favorites are:

-Snowshoe (it fits and it's within 8 hours driving but really sketchy on how much will be open that week if at all.)

-Lutsen [12.5 hours!]

-Spirit [11 hours... :-( ]

-Granite Peak (looks like a good choice but lodging choices suck, any local knowledge?)

-Michigan!?!

What am I overlooking?

Thanks!

Edited by lonbordin
moar info...

I would look at doing Spirit and Lutsen. Depending on the weather of course, but a couple of days at Spirit, hotel with ski free deal, and Duluth in evenings (brewery etc). Then a Lutsen stay and ski package for a few nights. Lutsen packages seem to vary with how busy they are. I don't think you need to worry about booking too far ahead in March. You could reverse the order if Spirit is too warm at the start of the week and colder thurs/fri.

+1 on BobD's suggestion, plus you could hit Giant's Ridge (known for their superb grooming) for a day. Lots of XC opportunities in Duluth as well.

Not sure about the drive time, but another alternative would be Ironwood, Michigan - not much of a town, but Indianhead, Big Powderhorn, Blackjack, and Whitecap ski areas are within a few miles and the ABR Trails XC country area is on the south end of town. The UP never lacks for snow.

Russ

I gotta go with Lutsen. You can find 3-night/3-lift ski in/out condo packages for around $350 pp, which is a darn good deal. There's just nothing else like it in the Midwest.

That being said....

The other alternative, taking into consideration the time and cost of the drive, is heading CO way. Flying to DEN is dirt cheap ($130 from MSP, anyway), and you could be clicking-in at Loveland by the time you're to Madison.

Based on what your criteria, Marquette Mountain sounds like it would be a great fit... Although since your trip is mid-week, you would miss out on the racing/fun of their Spring Carnival that is being held the weekend before... That weekend was always a blast when I was living up there... You would have the hill to yourself during the week... It's not guaranteed, but you could run into some significant snow that time of the year as well...

Outside of the skiing, your other criteria would be met... There are several XC/Snowshoe options within a 20-30 minute ride... They also have some good micro breweries located in Marquette (Blackrocks Brewery)...

Now, if you want to try your hands at something different, I would suggest looking into Mt. Bohemia as well... It's located an hour north of Houghton, MI... Bohemia is different in the fact that the entire hill is "in-bounds Backcountry" skiing/riding... You can literally ski anywhere you want on the hill... There is a reason the place is known as the Jackson Hole of the Midwest... They have the best terrain in the Midwest, hands down :biggthump They won't have any racing and you would have to drive an hour back to Houghton to get into the local brewery (Keeweenaw Brewing), but it's well worth the trip...

For carving, Indianhead and Spirit are my favorites because every run has room enough to carve on a big radius (GS) board and good grooming. Lutsen (Moose Mt) and Giants Ridge also have some good carving terrain, although being older ski oriented hills there is a good mix of steep and narrow trails not great for carving.

Spirit, Lutsen and Giants Ridge have xc trails at the resort, and there are lots of trails everywhere in northern MN, WI and MI.

Fitzger's brewpub and many other good choices in Duluth.

Spirit and Lutsen overlook Lake Superior. All are about 600' vert and usually are open through March.

Bohemia is special, but no grooming, bring your powder tree board and hope for fresh snow.

If you come to Spirit you should have some other carvers to ride with at least some of the time.

Don't know about the other places mentioned, but I like the suggestion of splitting time between a couple of places such as Spirit and Lutsen. The drive from Duluth to Lutsen/Grand Marais is only 2 hrs and follows the scenic and rugged north shore of Superior.

Edited by bigwavedave
added some more specific info

• 2 weeks later...

I went to Granite Peak during my spring break last year, and the snow was good. But as someone else pointed out, the runs all flatten out at the bottom. The ones that have rollers are kind of fun, but most of them just wore out my legs straightlining it to the lift when I'd rather be carving turns. I probably wouldn't go back.

However, it's in a state park which has trails for snowshoeing and x-c, depending on the snow. I stayed at a Days Inn in Wausau just a few miles away, but I didn't have a room with a kitchen. I just microwaved stuff for dinner, had the hotel's free breakfast, and took sandwiches for lunch.

So I'm trying to plan a Midwest trip for late March (dates in title).

So the hill has to be:

-bigger than my local bump (300ft vert, >100 acres)

-fully functioning in late March

-have opportunities for my spouse to snowshoe (and maybe XC)

-have groomed runs (less crowded the better)

-have some racing (not as important)

-have lodging nearby with a kitchen (minimum 1 enclosed bedroom)

-it be great if there was a brewery with good food nearby (a boy can dream)

Using MountainVertical as my guide the early favorites are:

-Snowshoe (it fits and it's within 8 hours driving but really sketchy on how much will be open that week if at all.)

-Lutsen [12.5 hours!]

-Spirit [11 hours... :-( ]

-Granite Peak (looks like a good choice but lodging choices suck, any local knowledge?)

-Michigan!?!

What am I overlooking?

Thanks!

I'd second Marquette Mountain. Major lake effect snow potential. Lots of state and national forests in the surrounding area should give your wife plenty of snowshoe/XC opportunities. It is also my favorite carving hill in the WI/MI area as its runs are decent lengths and more importantly have a consistent grade top to bottom.

My extended family is from Wausau and I've been going to Granite Peak (formerly Rib Mtn) for about 20 years now. There are some fun runs, but as everyone pointed out it flattens at the bottom. There's a lot of stuff to do around town including some really fun snow tubing at a local hill

http://www.ci.wausau.wi.us/Departments/Parks/WinterRecreation/SylvanTubingHill.aspx

and XC/snowshoe at Nine Mile creek

http://www.co.marathon.wi.us/Departments/ParksRecreationForestry/CountyForests/ForestUnits/NineMile.aspx

Hope some of this helps out.

Northern Lower Michigan - Petosky/Harbor Springs area. Your dates put you into the "low" prices as far as lift tickets plus most lodging may offer packages.

Check out http://www.nubsnob.com/ Will have the best snow & grooming + very few others on the hill during the week.

5 minutes away is Boyne Highlands http://www.boyne.com/BoyneHighlands/index.html

Boyne Mountain is within an hours drive and your Boyne ticket is good at either BOYNE resort http://www.boyne.com/BoyneMountain/index.html

http://www.goskimichigan.com/ - check out the link at the bottom for SkiFreeDeals.com as you might be able to score a BOGO deal by buying Shell gas in Michigan.

Lodging nearby http://www.troutcreek.com/ plus http://www.petoskey.com/condominiums-232/

Let me know if you need more detail.

Edited by Pat Donnelly

• 2 weeks later...

First I want to thank everyone whom took the time to respond, we really appreciate it! :biggthump

We're going to be at Spirit March 16th-19th and at Lutsen the 20th-21st and early the 22nd.

We're all pretty stoked right now and it fit the budget/time/driving/etc.

I've been to all the contiguous states but we've never been to Duluth so that's a plus as well.

Thanks again for all the input!

I'm hoping for a very long and cold winter... Apologies to all that offends. :eplus2:

Duluth has many brewery choices. I am partial to Fitger's as a friend is the head brewer and I was a bartender there for a few years. Clyde Iron is good too. For a burger nothing anywhere can touch the Anchor Bar in Superior - my best friend is responsible for the Gallybuster (that's three 1/3 lb patties in a bun).

Edited by bruincounselor

Any of them have an affinity for strong IPAs? Imperials?

Fitger's El Nino IPA (7.5%) is a year-rounder, and always pleases. Starfire is their "lighter" (<6%) IPA. They do growlers, as well (can't bring your own; Must be the brewery's. MN Blue laws.). Good food at the Fitz, too. Try the Wild Rice burger.

Avoid the Canal Park Brewery.

not sure about the brewery stuff, but the ski areas... I highly recommend Giants Ridge up there. Spirit is nice too. Lutzen is way too crowded for my taste, and the people that are there are often dangerous. A lot of mad bombers there, that take you out from behind.

The lodge at Giants Ridge is awesome too, if you have the money to stay there. Cross country ski trails too.

• 2 weeks later...