Note to New Members ×

Ottawa Ride Thread '13-14!

Ian M

Interested in weekly learning sessions this season? Which days work for you ?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Interested in weekly learning sessions this season? Which days work for you ?

• Monday evening
    • Tuesday evening
    • Thursday evening
    • Friday evening
    • Saturday, day
    • Sunday, day

^ You need more snowboards, Paul!!

I'm booked this weekend, but am planning to ski/ride next Saturday the 30th. Somewhere local perhaps? MSM, Calabogie, or wherever the snow actually covers the rocks :P I'm going to save my limited weekday vacations for mid-season, when the snow is awesome, but thanks Paul!

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

^ You need more snowboards, Paul!!

I'm booked this weekend, but am planning to ski/ride next Saturday the 30th. Somewhere local perhaps? MSM, Calabogie, or wherever the snow actually covers the rocks :P I'm going to save my limited weekday vacations for mid-season, when the snow is awesome, but thanks Paul!

I'm in for the 30th...anywhere there is snow!

Lots of loaner boards if anyone needs one!

they can't catch a break....the roof on the main lodge was heavily damaged a little while back too in that big windstorm. At least no one was hurt!!

I was told by a 'Bogie local years ago that they were suffering permanent bad karma ever since they bought the old Dacre Heights ski hill. According to him the Dacre property was bought by the Bogie owners and was/is for sale with the caveat that you cannot open a ski hill on it.

On a related note it has been on my "to do" list for year to try and find/ascend/descend the Dacre property one day.....

//Paul

^ Wow, I had never heard of Dacre Heights until you mentioned it, Paul. It's easy to find on Google Maps, so if you wanna go hike it sometime, give me a shout. (Look NW of Calabogie lake, just before hwy #132)

Can you fill in more of the story please? I don't understand the connection between it and 'Calabogie the cursed'.

^ Wow, I had never heard of Dacre Heights until you mentioned it, Paul. It's easy to find on Google Maps, so if you wanna go hike it sometime, give me a shout. (Look NW of Calabogie lake, just before hwy #132)

Can you fill in more of the story please? I don't understand the connection between it and 'Calabogie the cursed'.

Yes, it's an oldie in the Valley....You can see it from highway 132 when travelling west without even stopping at the right time of year. It's harder to distinguish the runs every year as the overgrowth takes over. From what I have heard/read the difficulty lies in finding a reasonable line to ride due to the tree/shrub/bush growth. This has been heightened by the lack of snow the last few years. I will try and find the online info I had saved a while a back....people definitely ride it (or have in last 5 years).

I would be in for an "earn your turns" day if we get a big snowfall this season!!

The story is basically as lowrider said:

Darce Heights sounds similar to the story of Agassi in Riding mountain Park. Bought out by neighbouring resort and closed to eliminate competition. Good for the owners not so good for the public.

When Dacre closed/went under, Calabogie bought it and will not sell it or allow it to be developed. I believe the first thing they did was sell off/scrap the lifts to ensure any new owner was starting from scratch, add in the cost of re clearing the runs after 20 years and there is not much left to buy

I know none of this for fact (except it went under) but was told the story by a couple of locals on the lifts at least 10 years ago. I think they had just had a fire at Bogie then too......

I've always meant to look up the property records to confirm the story....I may win the lottery some day and always though it would be great place to build a house at the top :D

//Paul

On a related note...anyone ever tried here?:

http://www.madawaskamountain.com/index.php?whichpage=mountain

Not yet! Thanks for filling in the 'Bogie story. Based on those tidbits of information, and Chris breaking his ankle there... I'm deciding that Calabogie is definitely cursed :P

I had my own close call there a while ago; went to carve around a kid who was standing in the middle of a ramp, and discovered that there was a big gap between my run and the ramp, and that said gap also contained a snow hydrant. It all worked out, but was one of my bigger 'oh oh' moments.

Hey Lowrider, have you used those T700 shells yet?

and some more here:

http://deepfriar.wordpress.com/2010/03/28/exploring-ontarios-forsaken-zone/

A nice one from the top of a lift pole looking down the hill. Some interesting comments as well.

PS...Foymount, Ontario (same area) used to or maybe still does have the Sierra Designs factory/outlet store. It was a regular stop along with the Wrangler/GWG jeans factory that used to be in Renfrew when we headed to the cottage.....times have sure changed:freak3:

Edited by loopback

On the subject of off-the-beaten-path ski hills - anyone know the name of small Quebec ski hill with Russian owners within the Ottawa vicinity (1-2 hours)?

maybe here?

http://montrigaud.com/ski/en/faq-ski-mont-rigaud

I have never been to the hill, I visited the town in my younger days though (it was famous for another reason back then)

Mikel45 - is the one you are referring to on the Quebec side? I remember hearing about one up the Fort Coulonge way, was only "open" on weekends (or very sporadic) and was cat access only (?) but apparently had awesome terrain. It's driving me nuts that I can't think of it now...

Ian - have a blast tomorrow! Temps should be good. Yes indeed MSM is "taller" :D

Mikel45 - is the one you are referring to on the Quebec side? I remember hearing about one up the Fort Coulonge way, was only "open" on weekends (or very sporadic) and was cat access only (?) but apparently had awesome terrain. It's driving me nuts that I can't think of it now...

Was riding up Calabogie lift last winter with a woman who was highly recommending this small hill - yes, over on the Quebec side. She told me the name of the place, but of course I've forgotten. Apparently, as quoted "it's a hidden gem". Anyways, at the very least because of my search I know now of many overlooked micro-hills, e.g. Mont Rigaud, Mont Chilly, Mont Shefford, Mont Alta, Mont La Réserve, Massif du Sud, Mont Édouard, Mont Grand-Fonds. Just like me, some of these hills are still stuck in the 70's.

Anyone here visit Mont La Réserve? It's located relatively near Tremblant.

Was riding up Calabogie lift last winter with a woman who was highly recommending this small hill - yes, over on the Quebec side. She told me the name of the place, but of course I've forgotten. Apparently, as quoted "it's a hidden gem". Anyways, at the very least because of my search I know now of many overlooked micro-hills, e.g. Mont Rigaud, Mont Chilly, Mont Shefford, Mont Alta, Mont La Réserve, Massif du Sud, Mont Édouard, Mont Grand-Fonds. Just like me, some of these hills are still stuck in the 70's.

Anyone here visit Mont La Réserve? It's located relatively near Tremblant.

Hmmm I think I was thinking of Mont Chilly, pretty close to Fort Coulonge. I still think there another "backcountry" and/or cat access mom and pop operation up that way though.

Yeah yeah, sorry for the delay! MSM has just the main run open, but it is top to bottom. Conditions were quite good, soft natural and granular on top of icy base. Great in the morning, a little patchy in the afternoon but very few rocks :) Sure they'll have more open next weekend!

I never made it out this weekend (or this season) BUT..... Spent 10 hrs in the car today to pickup a metal Coiler I found online in Southern Ontario.

I'll post details and pictures after I get it cleaned up and presentable...

I still have Trembalnt pass that expires on Friday this week