Note to New Members ×

Ottawa Ride Thread '13-14!

Ian M

Interested in weekly learning sessions this season? Which days work for you ?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Interested in weekly learning sessions this season? Which days work for you ?

• Monday evening
    • Tuesday evening
    • Thursday evening
    • Friday evening
    • Saturday, day
    • Sunday, day

Ah, what a feeling! A brand new thread; a blank slate for the upcoming season... full of amazing possibilities with fellow snow junkies and g-force addicts :D Best wishes to everyone for a fantastic season!

In case new carving folk are finding this thread, many of us have begun to discuss season's passes and weekly carve sessions via email. If you're interested in a night pass for Mont Cascades or regular sessions with other riders (including teaching or not), then send me a message through the forum and we'll loop you in. If you're new to carving or new to the area, please post and say hi!

So, who's stoked for the season? What's the silliest thing you can think of to do on your snowboard this year? Let's make a list... :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I am not sure what you think I was suggesting, but I was thinking the silliest thing I could do on the snow was break something. That would be silly. And a waste of a season. Off the snow would be to be sucked into buying a Tremblant pass! That would also be silly, and a waste of money.

I got the Sublime pass for Tremblant late last season for $379, you can still get one now for $399 I think. You can go most days but Christmas to New Years, a weekend in February and a week in March, but you get discounts for all those days too.

I've also got some UPZ boots and Snowpro bindings which should arrive next week that I'm excited to try out.

I got the Sublime pass for Tremblant late last season for $379, you can still get one now for $399 I think. You can go most days but Christmas to New Years, a weekend in February and a week in March, but you get discounts for all those days too.

I've also got some UPZ boots and Snowpro bindings which should arrive next week that I'm excited to try out.

Cool Johnny! You're getting some gear together :). Do you have a deck to mount the binders on? I forget. Did the bindings come with toe/heel lift spacers? Try to set them up with 3-4 degrees of lift if you've ridden flat before... you'll love it XD

I should get the boots and bindings in my possession sometime today, the Canada Post site says out for delivery. I'm not sure about any spacers yet though.

I picked up a Morrow Indy 166 last year for cheap, it's the opposite of a damp board, I might try and look for something more damp/longer/faster before the 24h of Tremblant in December, unless someones got a GS board I could borrow for a few days. (Holy comma splices Batman!) My girldfriend and I are planning a trip to Whistler in early April for a wedding, so if I don't get a board before then, I'm considering a Prior. We'll be there for a week, and I want to be on the snow for 5 days.

^ Cool. Do you know what kind of board you're looking for? We can keep an eye out for you... but knowing approximate length, sidecut, and width would be helpful. There's a used Prior WCRM in the classifieds right now for $600, 169cm x 11m x 195mm. I've heard good things about the Priors, but have yet to ride one.

I'd like a 170 or longer if an SL board, or a 175+ for a GS board, longer sidecut would be ok too. I have seen the 169, but I'm 180lbs without boots, armour and outerwear on so I'm not sure where I'd be on a board with a 200 max weight recommended. It'll still be a little while before I pick anything up, but the Donek Demo sale has a few interesting boards for $660 too.

Good stuff! 3 degrees of canting is pretty extreme though, I recommend that you stay at zero unless your knees tell you otherwise. Small changes here make large differences to your balance and to the board response, so I would strongly suggest your initial setup to be zero canting, approximately 3 degree lift on your front toe, and the same lift on the rear heel. If you ride that for a while and then experiment, you'll get a great feel for whether altering that setup actually helps you or not. Carpet riding is fun, but doesn't show you much of the balance/response. Too bad, 'cause otherwise I'd be carving all summer :P

• 3 weeks later...
I predict the first significant snowfall for November 14th...but yeah, I can't stop thinking snow now!

Hey, speaking of the 14th, I'm organizing a pub meetup at the Clocktower in the Glebe, Thursday November 14th, 7-9pm. Come on out and get your stoke on for the season! Meet other carvers and skiers, talk technique, gear, trips, etc :D

May be heading to BC for 2 weeks on Nov 18th. Anyone familiar when the mountains open out there?

Fun! Sorry, I'm not really familiar with their opening dates. I'd think that some of the larger mountains might be opening around that time, though :D

It can not snow on the 14th until after my flight takes off ... I am tired of constantly being delayed. But I hope that as soon as I am in the air, the skies open up here and you are delivered a full blast of early winter. Sorry I will miss you all at the Clocktower on the 14th - I will be on a plane somewhere over the Pacific.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Anyone venturing out this weekend??

Tremblant/StSauveur and Fortune are all open...Was going to head to CF this aft but the rain is making me think twice(and it's CF).

I have a Tremblant lift pass from last year that expires Dec.6th2013......Anyone up for a weekday trip before then? I can drive.....

//Paul