Note to New Members ×

Ottawa Ride Thread '13-14!

Ian M

Interested in weekly learning sessions this season? Which days work for you ?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Interested in weekly learning sessions this season? Which days work for you ?

• Monday evening
    • Tuesday evening
    • Thursday evening
    • Friday evening
    • Saturday, day
    • Sunday, day

Sorry Loopback I only just noticed your question about MsM. As of Sunday, conditions were near perfect with most all runs open. I had a surprise visit from my brother Sunday morning and we got some great rides in before the muppets turned the new snow into moggels around noon.

This weekends forecast for rain on Saturday at +3 generally has a good chance of being snow on the hill at MsM. Sunday should/hoping be great.

Looking forward to riding with this gang soon.

My 2 cents...

Pak was really good earlier this week and Cascades was pretty good too...not as nice coverage or groom as Pak but not to bad. There were several gravel patches at Cascades too.

I was surprised that Cascades was still blowing snow and had many unopened runs, at least Bogie has an excuse with the fire.

I have heard MSM is in nice shape (maybe PeterV can chime in?)

Peter V

//P

Edited by Peter V

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I might be able to ride Thursday or Friday. Has anyone ridden since the freeze? What's it like out there?

Pak was garbage today. Groomed, but they just chewed up the ice into ice granules. Really fast with no edging. It might be "ok" for someone on a Coiler, but on my crap board it was survival surfing. I might try again tomorrow morning.

I'm in at Cascades tomorrow night too, and will carpool with Tabby.

^ Agree, those Ski Logik's are gorgeous! Some of the two-planks out there are really amazing, and will carve like mad on ice that you're 'survival surfing' on, man. I'm looking forward to demoing some Volkl RTM 81's again. They're a rockered all-mountain ski that I tried last year, and their carving performance was... frightening...!

Cheers :)

It was hard and nasty and fast. But it was still to go out for a while. And the company was good (at least from my perspective!)

Also; full of muppets. On the lift up I saw at least three people not moving on the snow and on my first run two kids ran into each other hard. Obviously nether saw the other.

Looking forward to Tuesdays which as supposed to be quieter.

Anyone out today? Boo rain. Strange that conditions for you guys at Cascades were bad the other night. I was there the night before and it was decent. Surprise-chair side had some good nuggets though but I still found tons of grip. Veeerrry fast though. Can't wait for Tuesday!

Yes, I'm looking forward to Tuesday! Hopefully it will be softer rather than harder, but if it's icy-ish we'll just figure out together how to rock it ;)

Reminder that meeting time is 7pm at the bottom of the main side chair, ready to ride!

Cheers :D

We still on for tomorrow evening? Only reason I ask is it's supposed to be isolated showers in morning then freezing up at night...it'll be hard! Wednesday looks more favourable with a dusting of snow and the hard crud might be more groomed in more. Either way I'm there with a smile :D

^ Probably a good idea to postpone, Ryan, even though I hate to move the first session. Tomorrow's forecast looks like the worst case scenario... a freeze-up during the day once the groomed slush is all messed up. The last time I rode those conditions, it was... un-ride-able.

Can I have votes for Wednesday or Thursday, please? We never voted on the Wednesday option, so I don't know which one's better for y'all.

Please remind your riding buddies to check this thread, and have their say :)

Cheers!

We're not hearing much feedback about days other than Tabby and Ryan (thank you!), so it's executive decision time.

I think that safety and space to play are paramount, so let's do tomorrow (Wednesday the 15th) for our first session. Same start time; 7pm on snow!

We'll return to our regular Tuesday nights next week, when we'll enjoy -5 temperatures and amazing, firm groom... right? :D

Looking forward to riding with y'all!

Ian :D

We're not hearing much feedback about days other than Tabby and Ryan (thank you!), so it's executive decision time.

I think that safety and space to play are paramount, so let's do tomorrow (Wednesday the 15th) for our first session. Same start time; 7pm on snow!

Ian :D

Sorry for the late response, I always forget to check bomber. (can't go 30 seconds without checking twitter though) I'm in for Wednesday, Thursday works as well.

Edited by unitednihilists

Yes, I'm looking forward to Tuesday! Hopefully it will be softer rather than harder, but if it's icy-ish we'll just figure out together how to rock it ;)

Reminder that meeting time is 7pm at the bottom of the main side chair, ready to ride!

Cheers :D

This was the last post I read and without checking I assumed the weather was favorable plus I was in meetings all day and just raced to the hill after work without checking. My bad.

Gilbert and I were waiting at the bottom of the main chair, I guess we'll have to try that another week.

The conditions were very fast and the hill was as hard as a rock, not all bad as we managed to get some great runs.

Hoping to ride with you folks at some point this season.

Peter V