Note to New Members ×

Ottawa Ride Thread '13-14!

Ian M

Interested in weekly learning sessions this season? Which days work for you ?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Interested in weekly learning sessions this season? Which days work for you ?

• Monday evening
    • Tuesday evening
    • Thursday evening
    • Friday evening
    • Saturday, day
    • Sunday, day

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Where do you find these used ones?

Kijiji/UsedOttawa/Craigslist/newsgroups/MEC to start out

-some neat Firefox extensions and scripting help simplify the process

Mike found it too!

Here - sweet deal Paul

That's the one! I am putting together a post with some pictures and the story. It is a nice board that looks like crap right now. I think the before and after photos on this one are going to be stunning if it turns out how I want.

Known so far: Coiler 181 PRC-T 6.8, built for 205lbs. national team racer, 23cm wide, no markings or lettering on the base or topsheet ....except for the SN#, base and edges are excellent (8/10)

Unknown: SCR, superboard, year of manufactur (am guessing 2006-2008 as it's early titanal Coiler). I am going to email Bruce this week.

It's Ian's fault . . .

I agree 100%...and have passed that info on to my wife.

I have actually picked up 4 others in addition to the Coiler above since he originally bullied me about my inadequate quiver :eek:....

Nothing special BUT.....I'm kinda pumped to try the MLY Signature 167. It has more camber than any board I own and has been spoken of very highly on here. It's cap construction and damn near mint except for some yellowing on the white topsheet (working on that;))

xp42.jpg

Hi Neil,

Welcome to BoL!

There is a group (12-18ish?) of us that rode Tuesdays last year at Vorlage. This was an informal teaching session/free ride session that Ian M was gracious enough to organize/lead/teach last season. All rider abilities were welcome and it's a great crew of local guys and gal.

I am not sure if we are going to do a weekly thing again (I hope so!!) but Ian has already been nice enough to organize a group buy for a Cascades weekday/night season pass so I would assume many of us will be at Cascades this year.

A couple of guys are regulars at Pakenham, a couple at Edelweiss, and I think even Camp Fortune.

We usually get out somewhere during the week (MSM/Calabogie) as a small group once or twice a year too.

Keep your eyes here....We're pretty good about posting where/when we are riding.

Cheers

//Paul

Welcome Neil! As Paul said, Cascades is where you're most likely to find us this year, because many of us have bought passes there :) Feel free to send me your email address through the forum, so that I can let you know about meet-ups that get organized by email... there were many of those last year as most of us carvers are now in touch with each other.

I really enjoyed our weekly sessions last year, and love riding with other folks and teaching carving skills. I've offered to run similar sessions this year, and we can revisit who's keen and when those folks are available shortly.

The Ottawa crew are really great people, so come on out and make some artwork with 'em!

Cheers,

Ian :D

Welcome Neil! As others have said, Cascades for the majority of weeknights but I also rode at Edelweiss last year with another group we just found out about. It's definitely a good vibe, riders of all skill levels, some coming from softboots, and it's really a great way to learn. The sessions were fun last year despite some crummy conditions but we made the best of it, adapted and still had a blast. Even if the "formal" sessions don't happen, it's just great to ride with a bunch of folks who are so passionate about the sport. You all good for gear?

There is a group (12-18ish?) of us that rode Tuesdays last year at Vorlage. This was an informal teaching session/free ride session that Ian M was gracious enough to organize/lead/teach last season. All rider abilities were welcome and it's a great crew of local guys and gal.

Haha! Thanks Paul :-)

I noticed a certain Donek in your collection. Makes me smile, glad the plank has a good home and will get used, was a little too big for me.

Welcome Neil! Always good to have more people on the hills. Putting pressure on Ian to run more sessions this year. It was pretty awesome last year, apart from the conditions. We were able to bring a few more over to the fast side. Cascade was good to us last year and it should be a blast this year. Vorlage was getting just a little small. I know the guys who ride at Edelweiss often ride on weekday mornings - I might be joining them a few times this year. Anyone else open for mid-week day-time riding?

Hey folks!

I just posted a poll to see who's interested in a weekly learning session & group ride at Mont Cascades, similar to what I organized last year. Who wants to be even more awesome? :D

Each night would have a theme that suits what the group wants to learn and the conditions. Carving theory, drills, and lots of riding with individual feedback would be included.

No cost to participants, but post-ride beverages, potted plants, and hugs are always appreciated :P

Any questions? Ask 'em!

Cheers,

Ian M

Thanks for organizing this again. I loved getting together with so many people last year and learning. Maybe this year I will learn to carve.

Not sure that a weekend day would work - too many muppets on the hill! And then we can go seek bigger hills and not necessarily hang around Ottawa. Having said that, don't schedule around me - depending on when you start, I will miss at least three (I am assuming that you will not have a session the week of ECES)

Hi all I have been carving intermittently for many years, My hill is MsM but would be interested in joining on a week night and get a refresher on Technics. What night are you folks out?

Also looking to upgrade my old Santa Cruz to a nice race board between 175 and 185 for a 205lb rider.

Peter V

Hi all I have been carving intermittently for many years, My hill is MsM but would be interested in joining on a week night and get a refresher on Technics. What night are you folks out? Also looking to upgrade my old Santa Cruz to a nice race board between 175 and 185 for a 205lb rider.

Hey Peter! So far the poll is showing a preference for Tuesday night, and thank you to everyone who has responded so far :) Last year we had a few bad weather days, so it's a good idea to have a second weeknight as an alternate if conditions are poor on the chosen day.

I am down for some sessions, though I will hold off on voting for a preferred (non-weekend) time slot as my schedule likely won't be firmed up to a fine jello like consistency until early Jan.

Of course, Neil :) Thanks for expressing your interest.