Note to New Members ×

Trailertrash's Great Adventure

trailertrash

If all goes well I will be leaving for AK Monday 8/12 on my motorcycle. I am hoping to make it as close to Prudhoe Bay before it gets too cold. I am getting a later than I wanted to start but it is what it is. I hope to swing down to Mexico and come back across the southern part of the US on my way back east. That's the plan anyway, not sure how it will work out. Time will tell. I was laid off today.

post-569-141842394504_thumb.jpg

Edited by trailertrash

I will be looking to change tires in Oregon/Washington. Can anyone recommend a decent shop that I can call ahead and have the tires waiting for me there? I will have a better idea as I closer as for time frame. I will be putting on a more off road tire to head north.

Thanks for splitting this off Bryan!

I will be looking to change tires in Oregon/Washington. Can anyone recommend a decent shop that I can call ahead and have the tires waiting for me there? I will have a better idea as I closer as for time frame. I will be putting on a more off road tire to head north.

John, I have not had any work done on a motorcycle in years (no motorcycle) . I used to do business with

http://www.procalibervancouver.com/ I knew the owner for years prior to his selling it, they are much bigger now .

These two were rated an "A" on Angie's list.

http://www.bentlever.com/?page_id=16

http://cheshiremotorsports.com/

Edited by www.oldsnowboards.com

I'm thinking, having the alpine gear ship ready before leaving might be appropriate, lot's of snow around

I have one or two boards here you could borrow if you should like , if your boot size is M29 you would be all set.

Not allot of snow left on Mt Hood. Race camps are winding down, still could be fun for a change.

http://www.timberlinelodge.com/webcams/

post-198-141842394891_thumb.jpg

post-198-141842394886_thumb.jpg

Hiway 2 across N.D. and Montana is absolutely nothing. Also It looks like you're not going to Rushmore, Yellowstone, Glacier... Good stuff. Hiway 2 is great across Washington. Also hiway 12 from Missoula over Lolo pass. The Columbia River Gorge is best seen from the Washington side, if you come south. i just got back from a 6 K ride in Oregon and California. On your way back Northern Cali hiways 36, 3, 299, 96, and 1 are great. Plan a route thru Tahoe, Yosemite, Kings Canyon, and Seqoia national parks. The valley is hot and the coast doesn't often have good weather.

Rubber side down...

Don

Feed the addiction...

Hiway 2 across N.D. and Montana is absolutely nothing.

I've done 2, I94, and 200 across most of ND and all of MT. They each have pros and cons. 2 is really not a great place in NW North Dakota right now with all the truck traffic and fracking, 200 isn't any better. I actually prefer 200 in MT - it's more open and nearly zero traffic (pass a cop at 90 and they wave).

I'm in Fargo if you want to stop.

Lolo pass is good, so is Beartooth - I think 'trash should get going to AK if he wants to beat the weather. I lived in Homer for a while and haved ridden to AK for fun too.

Bruin'

Edited by bruincounselor
sPellin

Lolo pass is good, so is Beartooth - I think 'trash should get going to AK if he wants to beat the weather. I lived in Homer for a while and haved ridden to AK for fun too.

Bruin'

My Dad has a cabin in Silvergate, MT I've spent a lot of time with ATV's on Lulu Pass (off RT212). RT296 into Cody is a great road that was repaved a few years ago.

Good luck TT, stay save.

Thanks guys! A truck tire blew today as I was passing it, that was fun. :freak3:

I started a blog on the same link as the last one.

It is lame so far but I am only in Chicago.

http://summer2010x-countrymoto.blogspot.com/

Monodude, I will be making a bee line for AK, the weather is getting colder quick. I have been to a lot of the spots you mention on my first trip around the country in 2010.

Brian can you make this a sticky thread in OT, at least while John is traveling. We have BOL members all over the world, if something comes up or John needs help or place to sleep this is the thread that will help him out.

Leaving Chicago this morning, next few states are flat and boring.

Edited by GeoffV

Brian can you make this a sticky thread in OT, at least while John is traveling. We have BOL members all over the world, if something comes up or John needs help or place to sleep this the thread will help him out.

Leaving Chicago this morning, next few states are flat and boring.

Sounds like a good plan. Done , It is early for me and I have not had enough coffee , so I hope I am not overstepping Boss! :)

The Blog is very cool. Fun to look back at your last trip too.

Edited by www.oldsnowboards.com

• 3 weeks later...

Update on John,

Since leaving Eugene, OR about 9 days ago John has covered some serious miles. He passed through BC into the Yukon territory, Fairbanks, Arctic Circle, passing over the Atigun pass which was snow covered, and arrived late last night at Prudhoe Bay. John says its is 34 and rainy. John is hoping the weather will clear so he can get a good look of Denali's 20,000 peak before turning back south.

View of Atigun Pass

2dulcv8.jpg

Next stop Mexico...

http://share.findmespot.com/shared/faces/viewspots.jsp?glId=0dTXutmsCsYqa7ximr0SaI6ocsK0fmBfg

Edited by GeoffV

Talked to John the other day as he was hiding in his tent next to some lake outside of Anchorage (I think). Sounds like he is having a blast even though a tad wetter than anticipated. He said he can literally feel Winter chasing him south as he exits the state.

Rubber side down John!

• 1 month later...

I'm pretty sure that I'm going to drive my econobox car up the Alcan next summer after the snow season ends, hopefully departing by early June at the latest. I understand that road conditions are generally pretty good these days, but I wonder if I should prepare a full-size spare tire instead of relying on the compact spare. I might take some spare hoses, belts and fluids, but that's about it. Opinions? Anybody read The Milepost?

Here's an interesting movie that should be watched by all gearheads: Alcan Highway.

<iframe src="//www.youtube.com/embed/b7Ol4jaXBT4" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="560"></iframe>

The Alcan is a great drive. Make sure to go up through Jasper and Banff if you haven't seen that yet.

Bring a full size spare and extra gas. The MilePost is great, you can get a lot of information at the Canadian visitor centers. They have some of the MilePost maps there.

You can camp pretty much anywhere along the Alcan and nobody will bother you.

My trip ended up being about 14k miles and 56 days. The bike needs some work but nothing too bad.