Note to New Members ×

2013 Last Licks at Timberline, Mt. Hood, May 18-21

Dan

Hi Bomberites, the Mt. Hood crew would like to invite you to join us at Timberline to ring out the 2013 season from May 18 - May 21 (Sunday - Tuesday the weekend before Memorial Day). Timberline raises their rates after Memorial Day and fills the hill with ski race camps, so this is the best time of year to head up. If you're still riding lift-served at your home hill at that time, come gloat; if your season is over, come add a few more days to your tally.

It's shoulder season and condo rentals in Government Camp (about 15 minutes away) are pretty cheap: <a href="http://www.vrbo.com/vacation-rentals/usa/oregon/mt-hood-the-gorge/government-camp">http://www.vrbo.com/vacation-rentals/usa/oregon/mt-hood-the-gorge/government-camp</a>

Here's how good it can be on the Palmer glacier in the spring; what do you say?

timberlinespring_zpsb598246c.jpg

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Bomberites, the Mt. Hood crew would like to invite you to join us at Timberline to ring out the 2013 season from May 18 - May 21 (Sunday - Tuesday the weekend before Memorial Day). Timberline raises their rates after Memorial Day and fills the hill with ski race camps, so this is the best time of year to head up. If you're still riding lift-served at your home hill at that time, come gloat; if your season is over, come add a few more days to your tally.

It's shoulder season and condo rentals in Government Camp (about 15 minutes away) are pretty cheap: <a href="http://www.vrbo.com/vacation-rentals/usa/oregon/mt-hood-the-gorge/government-camp">http://www.vrbo.com/vacation-rentals/usa/oregon/mt-hood-the-gorge/government-camp</a>

Here's how good it can be on the Palmer glacier in the spring; what do you say?

timberlinespring_zpsb598246c.jpg

All,

Sean and I did this last year for some late season riding and testing and it was one of the best trips I have EVER been on. I Highly reccommend this late season last minute fix before the warm months set in.

I would be going again, but am heading to Solden at the end of april and have spent my "time away from family" chip and wont get another one for atleast a month.

If anyone really wants to stretch out the season, once you are done at T-line come on down to Bend. Mt. Bachelor's final day will be May 26th with live music on the snow and 8 breweries to sample from (BrewSki), I may even have a couple of free tickets still.

http://www.mtbachelor.com/winter/services_activities/activities/events/index.html/2083122017

If anyone really wants to stretch out the season, once you are done at T-line come on down to Bend. Mt. Bachelor's final day will be May 26th with live music on the snow and 8 breweries to sample from (BrewSki), I may even have a couple of free tickets still.

http://www.mtbachelor.com/winter/services_activities/activities/events/index.html/2083122017

Sounds like a great "Late Season" road trip!!

Some of the Schweitzer crew are making plans to attend.

Schweet! Post up here as you work out your lodgings - I'm hoping that people will all wind up in the same area to facilitate post-riding beers and grilling.

Multisport weekend: That's also the Victoria Day long weekend for Canuckians. It's the start of the summer windsurfing/ kitesurfing season in Hood River. Plus the windsurf/ kitesurf swap is that weekend also in Hood River.

Edited by Cousin of Beagle
sounds like a fun weekend

Multisport weekend: That's also the Victoria Day long weekend for Canuckians. It's the start of the summer windsurfing/ kitesurfing season in Hood River. Plus the windsurf/ kitesurf swap is that weekend also in Hood River.

I could be game for a afternoon session windsurfing in hood river after riding.

Been riding 20 plus years, accomplished soft boot carver, now messing around with harboots and really

having fun with it. Probably be around all 4 days, Timberline/ Skibowl/ Stevens pass regular.

Also have a place in Welches.

Warren

Hey Warren, I'll look forward to seeing you up there next month! It sounds like you're relatively new to hardboots -- I'm not sure where you stand with gear, but if there's anything in particular you'd like to try out, post here -- I have some boards / bindings I could loan out and I suspect other people might also have some loaner gear if there's something you're interested in.

I could be game for a afternoon session windsurfing in hood river after riding.

Love the idea of a dual sport day! Or make it a triple sport day by biking from Timberline down to Hood River for windsurfing... Sadly, I don't know how to wind/kite surf, but I would enjoy watching people do it from the patio at Full Sail :).

Longboarding on the Meadows access road could also be fun - it's likely to be closed, with little to no traffic, and I could bring out my Dirt Surfer if there's any interest. Mountain biking is a possibility too: I'm guessing that Ski Bowl won't be open for biking then, but there should be some riding in the Gorge and/or at Sandy Ridge.

Hey Warren, I'll look forward to seeing you up there next month! It sounds like you're relatively new to hardboots -- I'm not sure where you stand with gear, but if there's anything in particular you'd like to try out, post here -- I have some boards / bindings I could loan out and I suspect other people might also have some loaner gear if there's something you're interested in.

Dan, I am happy to help with this too. Not sure what condition the addition or my body will be in by then but I would be happy to have some sort of get together at my place. Just don't expect too much. Most of the boards are in storage and not on display yet.

Bryan

Dan/ Bryan

Thanks for the generous offer. I have managed to obtain a 178 hotblast that i traded a powder board for with another BOL guy, a 171 Donek freecarve, purchased

from a BOL guy, a 184 Donek metal GS protoype from 2010 and most recently, and yet to be ridden a new Donek 176 metal freecarve. Binding wise I have

a set of Catek OS1 long plates and a set of TD3. Looking forward to riding with more experienced hardbooters. I have about 40 hrs or so with the alpine stuff.

Started riding in 91 or 92 and for the last 12 years or so have averaged over 80 days a season, except for last season when I was out with work injury until

mid April. Still got 25 in.

Dan/ Bryan

Thanks for the generous offer. I have managed to obtain a 178 hotblast that i traded a powder board for with another BOL guy, a 171 Donek freecarve, purchased

from a BOL guy, a 184 Donek metal GS protoype from 2010 and most recently, and yet to be ridden a new Donek 176 metal freecarve. Binding wise I have

a set of Catek OS1 long plates and a set of TD3. Looking forward to riding with more experienced hardbooters. I have about 40 hrs or so with the alpine stuff.

Started riding in 91 or 92 and for the last 12 years or so have averaged over 80 days a season, except for last season when I was out with work injury until

mid April. Still got 25 in.

Hell, that's a nice selection of boards - I should be asking to demo from your quiver! Actually, I demo'd a 2011/2012 Donek metal FC two seasons back (or maybe it was a 2010/2011?) and it was fantastic. I think you'll be really happy with yours when you get a chance to get it on snow.

As far as getting over 80 days a season...well...I can't lie, I'm pretty jealous. I might not hit 20 this year and this was a decent season for me. I guess that means it's time for me to look for another job ;)

I think I can make it. I'll probably stay on my boat in the Dalles and do some tinkering, but I could probably be persuaded to totter around on my mountain bike and/or drink a little beer.

Sweet! I may join you for a ride, though "tottering around" is a pretty good description of what I would/will do on a bike after a full day of snowboarding (or even a 3/4 day). (Drinking beer, on the other hand, I have a pretty good handle on, regardless of how much snowboarding I've done. )

[QFinUOTE=Dan;400427]Hell, that's a nice selection of boards - I should be asking to demo from your quiver! Actually, I demo'd a 2011/2012 Donek metal FC two seasons back (or maybe it was a 2010/2011?) and it was fantastic. I think you'll be really happy with yours when you get a chance to get it on snow.

As far as getting over 80 days a season...well...I can't lie, I'm pretty jealous. I might not hit 20 this year and this was a decent season for me. I guess that means it's time for me to look for another job ;)

Finally got it on the snow last Monday and had a blast. I hope to get at least a couple of 1/2 days this weekend, gotta mix it up w/ some soft booting.Self employment has few benifits but one of them is making your own schedule. Hope to see you at Timberline in a few weeks.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone, I'm excited to see that so many people will be turning out!

Here are some meeting times for all 4 days of the session. Note that the lifts will be running from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. for all 4 days, and during the spring it's usually best to be on the hill at the start of the day before things get too soft.

8 a.m.: base of Magic Mile

10 a.m.: base of Palmer

12:30 p.m.: the bar in the Wy'East day lodge for lunch and bragging (my trenches were _this_ deep)

Can't wait!