Note to New Members ×

WTH - Run over for a second time this year!

mo_writer

Theories:

My white coat makes me less visible.

I'm not turning the direction people think because my upper body is not parallel with my board.

Both times were late afternoon - maybe people are more careless then.

Any other ideas?

I think the guy who hit me this time was just bombing the last pitch on the run. He claimed he didn't see me, but maybe he just couldn't stop. Fortunately, I wasn't hurt this time.

Does not seems to matter what you wear.

I was hit this year at Whistler -- I was stopped off to the side half way down -- Blue run - very wide A guy hits me outa nowhere, he said Sorry -- I did not see you. I was all Black -- very Visable. Sun was out.

a few years ago my GF was hit - she was stopped to adjust her boots -- off to the side -- a guy hits her at full speed cuz he was out of control and could not stop. She was mainly Black with various trim colors too.

Seems best place to be if it is sunny out is in the middle.

I often look up hill coming out of my toe side carve. The 'it's the other person responsibility' doesn't keep you safe.

Agreed. Can't remember where I heard this quote in regards to traffic laws but it totally applies: "If you insist on the right of way, soon enough you'll be dead right."

I have recently been wearing black jacket and white...perhaps i'm only half visible?

Admittedly, I would have had straight liners go into me on several occasions last week end if I wasn't able to twist my neck so far round on heel edge. However, I don't think that was a visibility issue on my clothing colour but I think it could be on a misty day...hmmm..got me worrying now...:o

I don't think any color can save us from our own turn shape. People just aren't ready when we come back that fast horizontal to the fall line. I look up the hill as often as possible but sometimes people are just going so damn fast. I've had a few minor collisions. Some near misses that could have been really bad.

But ya, the white coat thing might be an issue. Maybe wear a safety vest over top. :)

white blends in with the snow

I was all Black -- very Visable. Sun was out.

I used to wear black... It does not have enough contrast from the trees and shadows. I had too many close calls.

I got a red jacket, and got clipped once or twice but no hard hits.

Agreed. You would think red would catch people's attention but instead they must think that you are a matador and they are the bull...

I currently have two jackets that switch between when on the mountain - one is blaze orange (just orange, not blaze/camo) the other is bright green. I do not wear the blaze jacket during the Spring Break madness. I wear the green and differentiate myself from the blaze orange/camo/Starter jacket wearing idiots that seem to overrun the mountain during that 3 week period.

I also wear a brightly colored helmet that contrasts from my jackets.

were you at hv? I've missed people in white until i was only 20-30 feet away. I always wear grey or black, never been hit there.(knock on wood)

Nope, not at Hidden Valley - I was at Chestnut. At HV, I often feel like I'M the one about to run people over! Seems like a lot of beginners there.

I got run over a couple of weeks ago. Red and black, blue bird, no one in front of me, two guys way behind me. Looking uphill on my toeside and this guy came straight lining down and took me out just as I completed the turn. My wife said it was like he was drawn to me from the other side of the run. Are TD3's magnetic? Has this been considered as a factor? Warranty?

• 2 weeks later...

Got hit twice, both from the back:

A couple years ago an uncontrolled straight liner SBer - I wore the jacket in my Avatar which mixed Dark Brown, White and Orange.

A month ago a skier and I use Bright Orange/Red - she just can't stop in time. And her friend told me "U have to be careful" don't stop suddenly in front of her :mad:

Good thing, I got witnesses for both and saved by my body armour :eplus2:

RT

Edited by CarvingScooby

Got hit twice, both from the back:

A couple years ago an uncontrolled straight liner SBer - I wore the jacket in my Avatar which mixed Dark Brown, White and Orange.

A month ago a skier and I use Bright Orange/Red - she just can't stop in time. And her friend told me "U have to be careful" don't stop suddenly in front of her :mad:

Good thing, I got witnesses for both and saved by my body armour :eplus2:

RT

That's not encouraging. What do you recommend in body armor?

• 2 weeks later...

when i was hit by a guy on telemarks, i had just finished looking up the hill, and saw nothing. right as i started rolling to my heal i was plowed by the "tele-duche" who had a tendency to simply bomb hills and not do much turning.

I think it's sad but simiple; If they're not paying attention, they're going to hit you. It's like motorcycles. you can ride a bright colored bike and put the "watch for motorcyclist" sticks all over the place, but if people are stupid, they're stupid... and you can't fix that.

Do your best to avoid the idiots and live in fear of the stupidity.

when i was hit by a guy on telemarks, i had just finished looking up the hill, and saw nothing. right as i started rolling to my heal i was plowed by the "tele-duche" who had a tendency to simply bomb hills and not do much turning.

I think it's sad but simiple; If they're not paying attention, they're going to hit you. It's like motorcycles. you can ride a bright colored bike and put the "watch for motorcyclist" sticks all over the place, but if people are stupid, they're stupid... and you can't fix that.

Do your best to avoid the idiots and live in fear of the stupidity.

Female skier says, "sorry wasn't watching where I was going, as I was watching my son":eek: after she realised I had taken evasive action to avoid a collision, where she was approaching from behind. At the approaching moment I happen to door my exorcist impression fortunately:biggthump

What famous philosopher ;) said, "life is like a box of chocolates.you never know what you're going to get next".....and...."stupid is as stupid does".:p

I don't think any color can save us from our own turn shape. People just aren't ready when we come back that fast horizontal to the fall line. I look up the hill as often as possible but sometimes people are just going so damn fast. I've had a few minor collisions. Some near misses that could have been really bad.

But ya, the white coat thing might be an issue. Maybe wear a safety vest over top. :)

=========================================

Exactly RideGuy. We have to be aware that we are doing something that people don't see every day. Stay safe by looking waaaay up the hill. I got t-boned by a straightlining skier on the first day, first run of the season. Dropping into a heelside I looked uphill, but, apparently, not far enough . He was about 230 lb., it was like coming across the middle and taking a big hit from an NFL linebacker. Knocked the lens out of my glasses & put a nice big cut across the bridge of my nose. The skier was apologetic, and I accepted the apology. But I can't put 100% of the blame on him, no matter what the rules are. Our wide, freecarve turns are best saved for the empty slopes of midweek, or those rare moments when there is no one visible above us.