Note to New Members ×

Important SES info!

Michelle

Hi everyone!

We're getting excited for the SES which starts this Saturday!

A few last minute reminders for you...

DAY 1 - we are at Tiehack, not at the base of Buttermilk. If you do not get your lift tickets before this day, you will have to make it over to Tiehack to pick them up. If you have a car, there is a parking lot here but it is small and could be full. if you do not have a car, it is HIGHLY recommended that you get your tickets before on Fri night at the BOL house! Otherwise, you will have to take the bus to Highlands, get off at the Rec center, and walk across the bridge. It is NOT a fun walk.

If you are flying into Aspen, the weather is supposed to be very snowy on Friday. PLEASE BE READY TO MAKE ALTERNATE PLANS! If it is snowing, they will drop you off in Denver and you will have to fend for yourself in getting to Aspen. CME is a service that will drive you to Aspen for about $100 one way. You can also rent a car. Be prepared and watch the weather.

Tuesday night house party is Mardi Gras! come and celebrate with us on a historic day! 4:30-7pm. Please do not block anyone's driveway if you are driving over.

See you guys soon!

If it is snowing, they will drop you off in Denver and you will have to fend for yourself in getting to Aspen. CME is a service that will drive you to Aspen for about $100 one way.
All the weather forecasts I can find say either no snow or 20-30% chance of snow. CME quoted me $236 for two people to Snowmass.

We arrive in Denver a little after 5 pm. CME is recommending we take the 8:00 shuttle. If we can get enough people together we can make it cheaper - 4 people would be $380.

Edited by Neil Gendzwill

"If you are flying into Aspen, the weather is supposed to be very snowy on Friday"

Yikes! That's me- Fri. arrive by 11am

Michelle - What's the "very snowy" forecast??

So far it's still saying 20% chance, but the news has been definitely making me nervous. I'm hoping the storm holds off until Sat so everyone can make it in safely, but it could speed up this week. it could also change directions because....it's Colorado. I just want everyone to be prepared just in case. I've had this happen before and people were calling me from Denver in a panic. I was 5 hours away in Aspen. :( Trying to avoid any surprises! Keep an eye on the weather and if Thursday night it looks like it might be bad, make sure you plan for alternate transportation and call the airlines!

Is there parking at Tiehack and is it....just a differant lift serve area??
There is a small parking area at Tiehack that usually fills up with SESers. It is just a different lift service area that will take you back to the main area, and vice versa but if you don't have your lift tickets before you get there it can be a pain - only if you don't have a car. If you have a car and can drive to Tiehack, at least park temporarily to get your package, then it's fine.

This can all be resolved if you pick up your package/lift tickets on Friday night at the BOL house! :) then you can take the bus to the main area, get on the chair lift, and ride over to Tiehack.

Tuesday night house party is Mardi Gras! come and celebrate with us on a historic day! 4:30-7pm. Please do not block anyone's driveway if you are driving over.

Michelle, I will come to Aspen on tuesday, so where is that night house party of Mardi Gras?

p.s. I need to pick up my ski pass and ticket to bounquet.

Looks like the snow depths are still about half of what we have out in the hinterlands of Montucky. Do we need to be packing a rock board, or can we risk just bringing top shelf boards? I trust their grooming crew to make the most of what's there, but a couple years ago there was a lot of gravel churned up at Snowmass. Anyone with first hand knowledge of conditions this week? If it's too rocky, I guess there's always the demo tent, eh Michelle?

Groomer-wise, there are maybe a couple small spots I know of on all the mountains where you might see a couple pebbles. Otherwise I think you're in good shape. Now as for the steeps and bumps and all that, well, you don't need edges on a pow board anyways.

well, you don't need edges on a pow board anyways.

:)

Jim's the man with the 1st hand knowledge, so I trust what he says. I heard from Buttermilk that they will do their very best to get things as groomed as the conditions will allow. I think they've been saving it for us :)

Looks like the snow depths are still about half of what we have out in the hinterlands of Montucky. Do we need to be packing a rock board, or can we risk just bringing top shelf boards? I trust their grooming crew to make the most of what's there, but a couple years ago there was a lot of gravel churned up at Snowmass. Anyone with first hand knowledge of conditions this week? If it's too rocky, I guess there's always the demo tent, eh Michelle?

Running from the top of Elk Camp chair 2 days ago, prior to 5cm snow yesterday afternoon and night, there were significant thin patches and grit heading off towards Bear Bottom and Sandy Park. Bull Run had significant grit in the top layer of snow lower down. Few scratches in the bottom of my Kessler. *ugger! All may be covered up if we get significant more snow in the next few days.

Aspen 6 day snow forecast currently predicting close to 8" of snow over Fri to end of Monday period.