Note to New Members ×

Speed...needed to Carve a good turn

softbootsurfer

Curious as to what this implies to others here ? Older now and not quite up to Speed :) however thinking back, it was those days when I could literally almost get the whole extended body parallel to the ground while going very slow on the flats that amazed me the most...I think sometimes of Ice Skaters and how they generate Speed with their edges to perform their maneuvers...Likewise by anticipation and outright aggressive weighting from the Toes up, Carving can be done at extremely slow speeds...I guess almost being Run Over numerous times yesterday at Milk by novice Skiers and Boarders who equate Speed with being Good made me think of this topic...

Acceleration is needed to carve a good turn, but not speed. This: http://bomberonline.3dcartstores.com/G-Lab-Meter_p_149.html measures acceleration not speed. This http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G-force is a decent explanation... Google "circular motion" if you'd like to see the math. If you turn hard enough - by working your board aggressively - yeah, you carve some mean turns without much velocity, and especially without much downhill speed.

Won't presume to speak for everyone, but I find speed only mildly fun, and acceleration a lot of fun... hence my preference for carving, and for driving on twisty roads rather than speeding down a freeway.

Sometimes at high speeds going High Side was difficult if not impossible to avoid :eek:, while slow speeds allow the Board to go to Full Compression, which then can be fueled into the next turn...at least this has been my experience...I realize the Boards for racers are designed to do this as well at higher speeds :) though from watching Race Videos it is impossible sometimes to suck it up at such Speeds and hence the " I am Now an Airplane " mode often seen...:nono: this can break an Ankle or a Leg in an instant, as the Compression can not be quickly absorbed or displaced to avoid injury...

Sometimes at high speeds going High Side was difficult if not impossible to avoid :eek:, while slow speeds allow the Board to go to Full Compression, which then can be fueled into the next turn...at least this has been my experience...I realize the Boards for racers are designed to do this as well at higher speeds :) though from watching Race Videos it is impossible sometimes to suck it up at such Speeds and hence the " I am Now an Airplane " mode often seen...:nono: this can break an Ankle or a Leg in an instant, as the Compression can not be quickly absorbed or displaced to avoid injury...

Injured back, shoulder and slight sprain on front foot (I was in softboots) I have a tendency to embrace the speed without the ability to scrub it through the turn especially on steeper terrain. I guess the body just cant keep up...My mind thinks I'm 18 but the body says act your age...

A good lesson indeed and well explained with all the correct physics involved. What I don't see or even demonstrated by few here is the difference in toe side vs. heel. The angulation of our bodies works well on a heel edge turns but toe side, there is more tendency to drop both arms to the snow. Lets not forget that I am riding a stiff bamboo core/glass 165 with 155cm of edge on softies at 24/15 that was made for 200+ lbs and hard boots. Most riders/ even racers are letting the board drift when riding aggressively. I am no racer but do ride aggressively. I am not all smooth and polished like many riders here. I also see the general style to be less aggressive (smooth radius arcs in between traverses across the run) I commented on a recent video here where the rider gets bucked hard on a toe side in the steeps. When was the last time "you" got thrown downhill ejections style like in that video, or conversely, on the apex of a heel side. Most wash out or sit down. I realize my style of riding and choice of gear is much different than most on BOL but this type of toe side ejection seems to be the "bail" of choice.

Edited by slopestar

I definitely can carve slower now than when I started carving. It's fun but tiring riding a short sidecut board all day. I make about 3 turns on my little board in the same space that I make 2 turns on the bigger board. (From looking at my tracks from the lift after switching) Carving quick is fun and exhilarating, but I change back and forth between quick and slow because variety is fun too. Most days I just don't like the added risk that comes with going fast.

equals for me what Mike T said plus the sensation of speed.I get the awesome feel of acceleration while at a slower decent rate than just going straight like the majority of wanker-one&two-plankers out there.I also get a board that feels solid and confident while clinging to a steep slope through a turn that is as tight as many made by shorter boards on flatter grades.For me,nothing beats that feeling-not even fresh powder;there,I said it.

I started eo enjoy speed once 1) I got GPS so that I wanted to outdo myself in terms of max speed 2) informal racing with friends of mine....

Carving on slow and medium speed is fun but also high speed cruising and high speed cruising followed by g-force turn is also fun for me... But everyone's different... Isn't as scary as motorbike riding....

For the Thoughtful responses :) My Intent was how Speed plays a role in Your Dance on the Mountain not so much the Physics of it...:eek:

I think of a certain John who goes straight and then Cranks one big turn and then Cliff who looks like water flowing...not that either is correct but rather what you enjoy personally...Thanks :)

For the Thoughtful responses :) My Intent was how Speed plays a role in Your Dance on the Mountain not so much the Physics of it...:eek:

I think of a certain John who goes straight and then Cranks one big turn and then Cliff who looks like water flowing...not that either is correct but rather what you enjoy personally...Thanks :)

Yes, SBS, a flow guy here. :)

However, the speed (or accelleration, or centrifugal/centripettal force, or whatever you want to call it) required, is very relevant to the radius and stiffness of the board one is riding. Given the number of engineers and other tech people on this forum, it was inevitable to get some physics based ansvers...

Happy New Year!

I get the most enjoyment out of smooth flowing turns whatever the speed. Some boards need higher speeds to get the flex/rebound "sweetspot" where turns flow with the least effort. Steepness and snow consistency can be as much a factor as speed and board flex.

Relatively slow speed "ribbon candy" turns on uber steeps are my favorite because of the play between acceleration throwing your self down the hill and deceleration from carving back up the hill.

I get the most enjoyment out of smooth flowing turns whatever the speed. Some boards need higher speeds to get the flex/rebound "sweetspot" where turns flow with the least effort. Steepness and snow consistency can be as much a factor as speed and board flex.

Relatively slow speed "ribbon candy" turns on uber steeps are my favorite because of the play between acceleration throwing your self down the hill and deceleration from carving back up the hill.

Yes Indeed! mix this with Slope Undulation and design your own course :) Then throw in a "Backside Floater"

Slope Undulation allows us to come over a Rise Backside, completely sitting back and applying pressure at the back end of the Board on the Downside of the Slope, but rather than wash out... by Reading and Utilizing the Slope Undulation of a Compression your Body Weight moves back Forward over your Board as you absorb the Dip or Compression...and Smile thinking what a cool Save :) When We have spent enough Time on a Snowboard to have Experienced All the Different Places and Body Positions that are Possible :) this creates Faith I believe, that allows us to Go Plces We never new in the Beginning...:eek: The Floater though is also a move one can Learn on a Wave or a Sidewalk as well...Happy New Year!!:biggthump

I have faith, I believe

praise the GSA... oh wait, that's TGR

I'm pretty good at reading and using undulations of terrain. It's very much like an expanded more subtle version of reading a line though a bump run (I was a good bump skier before taking up snowboard full time). Banks dip & rolls can certainly be utilized rather than requireing a "save". Always like to do hard toesides over rolls/convex terrain where the snow comes up to meet you w/out throwing down a laid out EC.

Edited by b0ardski