Note to New Members ×

Heard it in the Lift Line 2012/13

kieran

As a softie carver, I dont get comments in the line but get occasional comments on the runs;

From Thunderboud lift as I carve the groomed *between* all the jumps in Unbound Main: "Hey, you cant do that in here!"

Me: "Then stop skidding the runs"

From the tech in repair shop replacing screws in my crap bindings: "Dude, you need new binders. It's like driving a VW in a Porsche race"

Me: "But I'm winning the race" :)

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

After reading all those lines over the years including this post, I'm starting to wonder if it's a good thing or a bad thing that I'm deaf. However I usually make a smile whenever I see somebody looking at me in the ski lift lines. -shrugs-

Awesome read, esp the uh... skinny and the retort of "long" post. :)

Wednesday at Snowqualamie. Slow day, almost no one there so had a few comments from the lifties:

"Hey dude, I gotta take a picture".

"That just looks so much more natural".

"Have you done the Banked Slalom at Baker?" Me-"No man I'm 63 years old". Liftie- "Ya gotta put that on your bucket list!". That made me feel really special--like hardbooting is the Old People's Special Olympics.

I got a new one today...

Gaper:"What is that...a Speed Ski?"

Me: "A Speed Ski?"

Gaper:"Yeah."

Me: "I don't know...what's a Speed Ski?"

Gaper:"I don't know either...But what is that?"

Then I explained the whole deal, and we both had a good laugh, and I gave him a Bomber card.

Wish I could hand out cards as guarantee when I rock up somewhere in Europe next Saturday I may get the odd inquisitive look. Suppose I will have to hand out SWOARD cards instead!! :)

While riding through the park I heard a few kids on the lift say:

"WTF are you doing, your making trenches with your board. Stop it aye hole"

How I love pissing off the local jibbers.

Bahaaha

Resorts respond to jibbers wrecking handrails and picnic tables

Resorts construct manmade obstacles in response to the jibbers

Carvers come in and wreck the snow for the jibbers manmade terrain parks

Jibbers complain

Nice jt, I will be right there with you this coming week. Bye-bye smooth groom in the terrain park. teehee

Edited by Erik J
those damn flying monkeys

At Copper last week, coming down the main face of the mountain when two ski-patrol men were flagging me down frantically. Expecting to be lectured and told to slow down, they in turn inquired, "How do you do that?" What followed was the most in-depth 15 minute conversation I've ever had with two ski patrol men explaining the dynamics of alpine boarding. They even asked me to take my back foot off so they could better see the binding and metals plates on the board.

Today on chairlift with 3 skiers...

Skier 1: wow ski boots on snowboard, never seen that!

Explaination by me.

Skier 2: so, is this a more modern style of snowboard?

Teenage daughter: dad when I go into snowboarding, I wan't to do this!

I hand out the business card at that point :)

Today on chairlift with 3 skiers...

Skier 1: wow ski boots on snowboard, never seen that!

Explaination by me.

Skier 2: so, is this a more modern style of snowboard?

Teenage daughter: dad when I go into snowboarding, I wan't to do this!

I hand out the business card at that point :)

Like your style Boris, get the carving hooks into them while they're still young and impressionable...

I was at Solitude in Utah last week. I take a break to catch my breath and a woman in her 60's skies up to me. I'm expecting some nasty remark about going too fast or making trenches in the snow. Instead she says something like "wow, you're really good; just beautiful to watch", and she skies off. Made my day.

Later the same day a liftie asks about my "bomber board". I explained that the bindings are made by Bomber, but the board is a Donek, and I proceeded to show her the logo. Then she says "I've seen a few other guys up here on bomber boards too...". Umm, OK, have a nice day.

Up skiing with about 55 middle-schoolers from my school today. 2 separate kids commented at different times that my board was "gay" and not in either the happiness way or the awesomeness way that would describe each and every one of my gay friends.

I find it amazing that kids these days find that to be an appropriate kind of comment to make to a teacher... or a carver (un-skilled as I may be).