Note to New Members ×

Feedback for 2013 SES - Let us have it! What do you like, not like, or ?

fin

We want to here from you! This is your event so let us here what you liked, disliked, what to see changed, or any other feedback to help us make the event better. The thread under this is a summation of the survey we took at the end of the week party last year. Use this to help you get started.

One thing I personally want to hear about is the schedule for what day at what mountain. last year the set-up at Tiehack was amazing. Want to see more of that, less, or ?

Fire away!

post-1-141842371949_thumb.jpg

I’m going to share with you the results of the survey that we had at the banquet. We do read these and we use them to make the event better every year! I’ll comment too on the things that need a little explanation, or a response. We are grateful for all the answers, as it helps to know if we are on the right track or not.

If you filled out a survery, MANY THANKS!!!!

1. What are your general thoughts on the 2012 SES?

Another Great Year

Wouldn’t miss it

It’s been a great week

As a 1st timer, I thought it was awesome!

Had a great time, you guys rock!

Fabulous

Great – look forward to it every year

It was fantastic, I have not been since 2006 and had a great time then. Can’t go wrong with the sliding Mecca Aspen

I think that it is so awesome

Great! Unreal event

Keep it going

It’s great to be exposed to all the talent and everyone is generally very open and friendly. Nice!

My first time and I had a great time

Great Fun

Good times

WOOHOO

I had a great time and learned heaps!

Great time, great carving, great people

Great venue, staff, equipment selection

Overall, excellent event!

First time, amazing, good to ride with so many styles, and learn from people all week

Really enjoyed learning to alpine board, seeing new people and experiencing Aspen.

2. If you could change one thing (or more) about SES, what would it be?

· Faster Demo set up (we’ll work on that)

· t-shirts (some people like them, some don’t so it’s a hard call for us)

· 51 weeks longer! (YES!)

· Water @ tent (we’ll try to remember this)

· Quiet mood music at the banquet (hmmm that could be arranged).

· Have non alcoholic beverages at all parties (we did!)

· Weather modification system (that can be Fin’s next project)

· Race clinic (we’ve had them in the past, and not had them. Seems we’re always off a year)

· Attract more families/young folks (Agreed! Any suggestions?)

· More clinic time for beginner and intermediate carvers (we do our best to make the most use of our volunteer’s time in giving the clinics without a full day of "lessons". They're in it to have fun too!)

· More food at the parties (then we’d have to charge more, and people seem to not want to pay it. Ideas?)

· First Tracks Every day! (then it wouldn’t be special. Can’t see Rocket Man EVERY day J)

· Do a second day at highlands (comments on this?)

· More demos for females (we’ve had this come up before. Manufacturers????)

· Women’s social happy hour (we’ve done this in the past, and no one shows up so we canned it)

· More clinics (suggestions?)

· More Cowbell! (AGREED!)

3. If you participated in a clinic, what is your feedback?

Pure Carve Clinic – I have Homework

Kenny’s clinic – I have homework but it was all good

Too many in the steep clinic (this was a surprise to us as well!)

Did the Steeps with Richard. Very informative, great riders were present, very inspiring.

Women’s clinic with Richard AWESOME! MORE!!

Videos would be helpful (yes, but it’s difficult to get a volunteer to video this and a place to provide feedback)

Allow more time > 1 hour

Steeps clinic – best clinic yet

Euro carve and carve the steeps – both were enjoyable

4. How do you feel about the timing of the event (length and time of year)?

We got lots of positive response: good, perfect, works for me, etc. One person seemed to think race teams were monopolizing Ruthies, but we can’t make everything perfect. We also got an “I’m tired” ,“wish it were longer”, and “7 days straight = pooped”.

5. How can we make it better, more fun, exciting (ex: more or less social events, clinics, organized events)? A lot of comments about more clinics (I need suggestions!)

More non alcoholic events (sorry, but this one won’t go over well with the masses)

More social events (WOW we had something almost every night!)

Maybe another Bomber house party during the week (Uh…no. One is enough)

More Smoke! LOL

We also got a lot of “it’s perfect” and “keep doing it”

6. Were you involved in the mentor program? Please give us feedback if you were.

Someone said “to me, everyone is a mentor”. Nice!

“Angie made me feel very welcome” Awwww.. Nice job Angie!

Generally most people feel it’s a good thing, even if they didn’t participate

7. Do you like the idea of a “themed” house party, or would you rather it just be a regular party?

Theme – 11

Regular – 13

Either way - 3

If you have any suggestions on how we can make this event better, please feel free to let me know! We welcome all suggestions, good and bad. The mentor program started because someone took the time to write to me after the event expressing in a very nice way his disappointment that no one took the time to show him around. It turned into something very positive!

Feel free to comment on anything here – constructive criticism is welcomed!

Edited by Michelle

That is a handsome man up there! ;)

My random comments:

I'd like another Highlands day, but not sure which other mountain I'd like one less of.

The Tiehack demo tent was cool as we were off on our own. But it sucked for the same reason as there was zero publicity other than the handful of hikers.

Less Snowmass? I think not. I would rather ride Snowmass, it just depends on the grooming that day. They didn't have a lot to work with last year, and the grooming suffered. Any other season, and smass would rock, albeit I will concede that the grooming has gone downhill somewhat in the past several years. It's just a matter of requesting certain runs be groomed on the days we are there.

Agree with Corey. Another Highlands day would be good but not sure which to take out.

Also Ace's comment is true: the Aspen Brewery was a great location for a social event.

The family question is tricky, but I'm hoping to add to the numbers of kids present in any case. With luck I'll be able to get the 3yo on skis and then share 6 month old duties with Vanessa (unless you want to set up a child mindin facility at the tent???)

Snowmass definately had issues last year and I have had issues with Snowmass in the past, but ironocally some of my best SES days were there too. I do think they need to be put on notice for the decline in grooming quality (excuses or not) but also for the inaccurate grooming reports and conflicting on mountain signage last year. That was inexcusable and unacceptable. The hill manager did not even have the professional curtesy to respond to my letter expressing my opinion about that. Either he was overwhelmed by the number of complaints or just overwhelmed by the responsibilities of the job.

More and more people are jumping around to thier favorite hill, or their preferred conditions anyway. I would suggest that the event's focus be on what's best for exposing the sport, and the best entertainment venues for the buck to be had. Historically I think the balanced approach of the session, including enthusiastic local venues when possible, the first trax program, etc. have been very succesful, so don't try too hard to fix what ain't broke, just apply some grease where needed.

Looking forward to it!!

• 1 month later...

I know that Michelle has had problems in the past planning shirts for SES (too many / not enough / wrong size - etc.). Any chance that you could make a more generic Bomber shirt? Maybe employ the talents of some of our more creative members for the graphics?

There is usually water at all the bases as well. Sometimes we'll bring out bottled water to the tent as well.

No official "first timer thread" but just start a new one here and ask away on any questions you have. And you can always contact us directly and we'll help you out.

And look forward to meeting you Surf Quebec!

Non-alcoholic North American version of cider... ;)

Once you figure out where you're going, SES is pretty darn easy. The hardest part is finding the events/venues, and that's not terribly hard. Just do a little research beforehand. Tip: The Snowmass tent is at the end of Daly Lane. I combed every inch of the trailmap trying to find a run called Daly Lane. This a street, not a run. LOL! At Buttermilk, the tent is likely at the bottom of the Tiehack lift, not near the main lodge. At Highlands, walk towards the lift and then look left once you're on the snow. Or, for any of them, find another freak with a carving board and follow them like an animal stalking their prey.

Bus service is fantastic, you don't need a car at all if you stay in the Aspen area. If you're staying 'down valley' (Basalt, Carbondale, Glenwood, etc.) then a car does give you added freedom. But parking in Aspen is horrible - you're allowed to park in the town of Aspen for 2 hours every day. No moving your car to another spot, you're in some database with your clock running for the day.

I know its not a newb threat...just wanted to add that last year was my first time at SES and you don't have anything to worry about. People are really friendly and I found locations easy to find. I even did some hiking on my own. You will find Michelle and Fin and the local carvers like Jim and Angie really great and they will make you feel most welcome. I can't say much about the cider....but Colorado microbrews are awesome!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
It's over... :( Thanks to all that help organize this and everyone that shows up!

Corey, on behalf of the Grand Junction crowd (me, Scott, and Dag who is healing from his broken rib) I want to thank you for both your clinics (intermediate and steeps). You and Steve did a great job instructing. Also, thanks to Fin and Michelle for all they do for the sport. My fourth year in a row and it keeps on getting better!

As the skidder - it exceeded my expectations!

Opportunities:

- Make commnuity announcements on Aspen's web site and community web site (couldn't find anything)

- Community announcement in Aspen times

- Announcements with other local ski area communities

- Xmarket with Loki, and shops in Aspen, Glenwood, and GJ