Note to New Members ×

Bam! You hit a fellow carver breaking their board. Do you replace the board?

fin

Are you obligated to replace a board you broke?  

67 members have voted

1. 1. Are you obligated to replace a board you broke?

• YES, you need to replace the board. You made the mistake, you need to be responsable.
    • NO, you're not obligated to replace the board. These are the risks of riding on a public hill.

So there was a debate at the the Sessions this year that I want to bring to the forum.

You make an honest mistake on the hill one day. You're the uphill carver and you miscalculate what the carver below you (downhill) is doing. You end up hitting the guy and in the procces breaking his board beyond ridable or repairable. No one is hurt, but the guy you hit has a toast board.

Are you obligated to replace the fellow carvers board?

Keep in mind this is not a debate of the classic "down hill rider" code. In this poll we assume the uphill rider was, well, uphill and made the mistake.

Edited by fin

So there was a debate at the the Sessions this year that I want to bring to the forum.

You make an honest mistake on the hill one day. You're the uphill carver and you miscalculate what the carver below you (downhill) is doing. You end up hitting the guy and in the procces breaking his board beyond ridable or repairable. No one is hurt, but the guy you hit has a toast board.

Are you obligated to replace the fellow carvers board?

Keep in mind this is not a debate of the classic "down hill rider" code. In this poll we assume the uphill rider was, well, uphill and made the mistake.

You say miscalculate, to me that places the burden on the uphill rider.

If the downhill rider does something unpredictable or illogical like a big fat turn on a flat or just before a flat (when everyone avoids burning speed and runs it straight) I'd say it's their fault.

I've also had near misses where someone's across-the-hill progress is stopped by chatter when I intended to pass behind and I've come very close to hitting them, and I've also had the same done to me. In that case I'd blame the uphill rider anyway for trying to pass too closely.

Responsibility Code, Rule # 2 does not include an "except when" clause....at least not yet. I have only hit one other rider, fortunately not seriously hurt, no board damage, still buying drinks for life, because it was my fault and my fault only. How possibly can the downhill person be at all responsible, radar, ESP, Crystal ball, please!

Apologize, pay for the board and thank your lucky stars there were no injuries -- would you rather pay for a board, or pay OR bills? I'm a little disappointed that there are apparently enough people on the other side of this question that it's necessary to put up a poll.

If the downhill rider does something unpredictable or illogical like a big fat turn on a flat or just before a flat (when everyone avoids burning speed and runs it straight) I'd say it's their fault.

the code does not support your notion. imagine the downhill rider is your child...

Edited by Jack Michaud

I know I'd feel awful, and I'd replace the board. And, it wouldn't have to be a fellow carver either. The same would apply to a soft booter, skier, monoskier, park rat, etc.

Assuming its my fault of course. If the guy pops out of the trees without looking and onto the trail, for example, he's violated The Code as well as good common sense, and then I thank goodness that nobody got hurt but tend to my own damaged gear...

I don't necessarily agree that you must replace the board but it is the right thing to do.

Yeah, I kind of agree with both answers the way the question is worded. Personally, I would replace the board and I would feel terrible if it happend and I was at fault. However, in general I don't think anyone is obligated to do anything.

I guess I am used to motorcycle racing. You enter "the arena", you "takes your chances like an adult".

No one ever pays for damages to someone's bike that you just smashed. Its unheard of.

I mean, if you start this whiny "paying thing" then it follows that you are responsible for the man's 6 months lost wages because of their broken leg (assuming the innocent party is a roofer & sider). Of course none of us will dig deep for that !!

And then it also follows that you should reimburse for medical bills if the guy doesn't have medical insurance for his mangled appendage. Of course none of us will dig deep for that either !!

I think the following exchange should occur between two grownups:

"Hey, sorry about that. My fault. Can I help pay for the damages to your board?".

"No, no, its ok. I was going to get a new board anyway. Now I have an excuse to do it".

One exception: if the board was hanging in the "free ski check" when it got hit :D

I guess I am used to motorcycle racing. You enter "the arena", you "takes your chances like an adult".

No one ever pays for damages to someone's bike that you just smashed. Its unheard of.

Except the two are very different things. With snowboarding there is a person with 100% responsibility for keeping clear of the other person. You don't have that in motorcycle racing.

I would feel obligated to pay... But it would be a little negotiable...due to what board is he riding and its condition at the time of the accident. I would tell him/her looks like it is my fault, “what can I do to make up for the broken board?” If he is reasonable – I would send him a check the next day.

I mean, if you start this whiny "paying thing" then it follows that you are responsible for the man's 6 months lost wages because of their broken leg (assuming the innocent party is a roofer & sider). Of course none of us will dig deep for that !!

And then it also follows that you should reimburse for medical bills if the guy doesn't have medical insurance for his mangled appendage. Of course none of us will dig deep for that either !!

I think the following exchange should occur between two grownups:

"Hey, sorry about that. My fault. Can I help pay for the damages to your board?".

"No, no, its ok. I was going to get a new board anyway. Now I have an excuse to do it".

One exception: if the board was hanging in the "free ski check" when it got hit :D

When I'm on the hill, I don't sign on for anything in the way of other people hitting me. Realize it's a possibility, yes, but still their bad and their responsibility if they are the out of control, uphill, rider. (and yes they are out of control if they hit someone, unless they meant to hit them) To the best of my knowledge, whenever you put on a lift ticket or pass and ride at any ski area in the U.S., you are agreeing to abide by the skier's code of responsibility.

The race track is a completely different environment. If you think that my wife, daughter, and I are in some sort of competition with you when we are out free-riding, and you hit one of us while overtaking, and then take the above attitude, your day would not end well.

If you hit someone hard enough to break their board, one or both people are not going to walk away from that accident. If a broken board was the only carnage after hitting someone that hard I'd consider myself lucky.

Splitting the cost of a new board seems reasonable, but not necessary. Any board on the snow has been used. Just because someone jacked my board up doesn't entitle me to a glossy new board.

How do you ask someone to pay for a $2500 virus they just broke? How do you put a value on a NOS board that's not made anymore?

When you take you gear to the hill you assume the risk that it might not make it home in one piece. Materials could fail, you could hit a tree, you could hit a landing wrong, you could stuff the nose hard.

What if you do any of these to avoid someone who is out of control, and subsequently break your own equipment? Should they pay because they were out of control even if they didnt hit you physically?

Big bag of worms for sure.