Note to New Members ×

They say a picture is worth 1000 words

orser506

Same here in the upper Midwest. We have snow on the hills, but with no regional snow cover, the temps are not getting down to where they need to be. The ten day forecast temps keep getting revised upwards, the opposite to last year, where with great regional snow cover, the forecast temps were always being revised downwards.

We have been the exactly the same way until this week. Got our first snow last night and will have cold temps until Saturday. Sunday will be warm again though :(

Had a 2 hour snowball fight with the my kids and a few of the neighbors this morning in celebration of the white stuff. :)

try and guess which 4 letter word i keep muttering to myself.....it's not the word rain either.

Thanks for sharing.

We are lucky here at Cypress Mountain http://cypressmountain.com/ and we sudn't complaining for what we thought lack of snow (comparing the year b4). We've been riding on JJA since Nov 8 on mixed Man Made Powder + fresh snow which is best condition for HBer. Last Monday we had 30CM snow dump and now SBer can also enjoy. The Visibility might be an issue but at least the snow condition is real good.

Snow, snow, snow.

RT

Today was the 1 year anniversary of the chairlift falling off the tower at Sugarloaf, Maine. There is no snow cover on that trail today. Last year there was a decent base and 20" of fresh for the unfortunate to land on.

Winter is taking its sweet time getting here. :(

It's been puking in Banff this week - the conditions should be excellent out there this weekend - but it's still unseasonably warm in Calgary. A few of us were going to bunk off work and head to Fernie today - I'm happy we didn't, it's currently 5C and raining. That should make some nice ice on the lower mountain.

I was thinking this morning that I'd like it to get cold now.

I have the NASTAR Pacesetter Trials (skis) at Windham next week racing against AJ Kitt and it will likely be the first time this season I've been in the gates. Doesn't bode well.

I'm a former Meteorologist. Okay, it was a LONG time ago. This season's weather sucks!

zslrnn.jpg

Just got back from 6 days at Tremblant. They did a pretty good job with the man made stuff up to the day after Christmas, then we got 8 inches of fresh and the last two days were great (but cold/windy). Couple of pics or it didn't happen ;)...

my daughter...

PC270079.jpg

the resort (taken from the cabriolet)...

PC260051.jpg

As of this week we are basically Fugged here in southern New England:( With out a doubt this is the latest start for me since the 90s.

We have a couple cold days in this coming week hopefully snow makers can load up some piles on those days.

Here are the temps out to the 9th, the lows are barely enough to make snow with no natural stuff in the forecast

39°F 46°F 41°F 40°F 42°F

High High High High High

31°F 30°F 27°F 30°F 27°F

Apparently the best riding at Buttermilk today is in the half pipe. Go figure.

The weather forecast for Calgary tomorrow is 13C (58F). :AR15firin I'm thinking that our Nakiska session the weekend after next might end up being a Banff session - no snow in the local forecast this week ...

Christmas week was an absolute disaster at Sugarloaf. We had just about every weather and surface condition except the good stuff. Warm temps, cold temps, wind hold (a full day), rain, fog, you name it. The silver lining was that there were a few days of sun and no wind, but there was basically no carving to be had. There was no snow on the mountain other than the snowmaking and the remnants of a 7 inch storm from 3 weeks ago. Vacation week crowds meant anything carveable was scraped clean by 9:30am, and then it was sugar-on-concrete. Apparently the upper mountain got 4-5 inches of new snow Sunday night. Woo hoo, we were gone by then.

But I am even more blown away by the scene at Squaw Valley these days.

Taken today:

base_headwall1325611842.jpg

More here:

http://www.squaw.com/snow-report#

The weather forecast for Calgary tomorrow is 13C (58F). :AR15firin I'm thinking that our Nakiska session the weekend after next might end up being a Banff session - no snow in the local forecast this week ...

we lucked out at sunshine on thursday w/ 18cms fresh, w/ similar accumulation the day previous. great day. yesterday in vancouver was decidedly springlike however w/ more rain forecast on an already sparse base. ugh.

we lucked out at sunshine on thursday w/ 18cms fresh, w/ similar accumulation the day previous. great day. yesterday in vancouver was decidedly springlike however w/ more rain forecast on an already sparse base. ugh.

There was plenty of snow around Lake Louise this weekend too. More forecast for this week - Banff is definitely better off than most this year.