Note to New Members ×

Ibuprofen?

Ray

I was wondering how many of you pop a couple of them (or others!) before you go riding?

Especially if you go riding for several days… and let’s say the morning of the third day you are REALLY sore.

Do you take a break or pop some?

I tend to sore big time after two days of riding hard… and hey, don’t want to skip a day if the conditions are great… :D

What are you doing?

Guest Randy S.

I have bad knees. Hard riding makes them really sore. I used to pop 2-3 ibuprofen morning noon and night on riding days. Then I developed Ulcerative Colitis, and I blame it as much on the ibuprofen as a trigger as I do on genes. Its plagued me for 10 years now. As a result I can't take any anti-inflammatories any more. It did work well.

There are a couple of things I've found work well. First is something called SportLegs. Its a supplement that tends to lessen the muscle fatigue you get late in the day. That's what I'd recommend you try.

The other is Vicodin or Norco. Vicodin has the added bonus of causing constipation which is a great thing if you have IBD. :D When I was in Chile at race camp, Vicodin got me through the 5 straight days of hard riding with great athletes. 1/2 in the morning and a whole one in the afternoon. They say you shouldn't mix them with alcohol, but I don't know why not. I wouldn't recommend the Vicodin for most folks (especially those with addictive tendencies - then again, carving is an addiction for me).

a calcium/magnesium supplement, arnica gel as a rub, and believe it or not, alfalfa tablets (5 or 6 a day) when using those muscles hard. I wonder just what sport legs has in it, but I bet in some form a mix of these. I use ibuprofin as a back up, or when I forget to take these. I suffer from constant (some days bad, some just a touch) neck pain due to 2 different neck compression injuries, both work related.

I sometimes pop Advil before and after riding to reduce pain and inflammation. Also, I take a daily supplement of Glucosamine/Chondroitin for my joints. This year I've started icing my knees after returning home from a day on the snow. They no longer creek as I walk up and down stairs at work on Monday mornings. Finally, to relax all of the muscles in my legs and back, I take a hot bath in my jetted tub. Oooohhh...Calgon take me away!!! :p

You should show some caution if you are thinking of taking <a href="http://www.drugs.com/vicodin.html">Vicodin</a>.

Vicodin belongs to the opiate family of drugs, the same as heroin, morphine, codeine, pethidine etc. It has the same features - reduces pain, causes euphoria, causes constipation, and is <i>very addictive</i>.

I'm not a "Just Say No" type of person, so I'm not saying Vicodin is evil stuff and that you shouldn't take it. You should just be aware of what you're taking and know the risks. You don't want to end up like <a href="http://servercc.oakton.edu/~billtong/bnsp/heyrushisajunkie.htm">Rush</a> <a href="http://www.exile.ru/2003-October-16/feature_story.html">Limbaugh</a>.

Originally posted by Ray

Thanks guys!

Will also try the arnica gel... but Mike T, what are "pellets" :confused:

You can find arnica pellets at any store that carries homeopathic remedies - natural foods stores, etc. They are just teeny pills. You can get a more ptemnt doe in ingestible form that in gel form. I'm by no means "bought into" homeopathy but I can tell you that arnica has worked for me on both sore muscles and on reducing swelling after a very severe sprain.

Being a drug store manager and a registered pharmacy tech, I'll echo the comments on the subject of vicodin. Use this sparingly if at all as an alternative to ibuprofen or other anti-inflammatory's. Repeated use of this drug can have adverse side effects and can also lead to further injury due to the deadening of the pain to your problem area causing you to "ride through" a possible injury. If your pain persist's for more than 3 days, use should switch from ibuprofen to tylenol or a like product (acetaminophen) due to the adverse effects constant use of ibuprofen can have on your system. As with anything you take it's always a good idea to consult your local Pharmacist so they can explain the effects all these drugs have on your system, both good and bad.

Bring on the snow!

Paul

Serious muscle training especially in the 8 weeks before saison start does the job. Mix up some heavy weight/low number trainings with some more endurance/strength trainings that burn your legs already in summer or autumn. And don't forget your shoulders! There would be nothing to add, if there would not have been said so much before.

I don't like drugs to achieve more performance in sports. For me it's a little bit like doping. As in competition sports, you should do everything to give your body what he needs, i.e. bananas and noodles the evening before and after a day on the slopes, enough carbohydrate during the day and lots of water as mantioned before. Stop thinking like a skier, start thinking like a sportsman.

This said, I can't find any sense in carving with a bad headacke for example. So if I fall, and the pain keeps me from having fun, I love ibuprofen ;)

Originally posted by Jon Dahl

a calcium/magnesium supplement- I wonder just what sport legs has in it, but I bet in some form a mix of these.

exactly that- calcium lactate and magnesium lactate. this stuff is the best for pre-gaming it, as they dont work as well if you wait until you legs hurt to take them.

Ibuprofen it is. If it makes you sick, stop taking it in order to stop being sick.

Massage takes the pain away for a few hours but doesn't seem to change things beyond that. Beer seems to help. Actually beer seems to help lots of things. Cheaper than that homeo-junk and it actually contains some interesting molecules.

Gel form Ibuprofen is good for shin-bang, as are thermofit liners.

One thing to note about ibuprofen is that the recommended doses are way low. You can safely double them if you have to. I had a bruised tendon sheath or some such and my doctor prescribed a 10 day course of ibuprofen as anti-inflammatory. I had to call him back to confirm the dose - it was something like 3 times the recommendations on the bottle.

His explanation was that the drug can cause heart issues for some percentage of patients, so the recommended dose was set because of that. Goofy thing is, if it's going to cause that particular problem it will do it at lower than the recommended doses.

Anyways, bottom line is don't be afraid to take an extra pill or two if you need it.

Guest Randy S.

I suppose I should clarify my earlier post regarding Vicodin. It has occurred to me that there might be young, impressionable people reading this site.

First of all, I've never managed to become addicted to anything (other than carving). I've tried, but it just doesn't work. Of course I've never tried Heroin, but I did my share of experimenting in college. Second, I take maybe 1/2 a vicodin at a time and then only when I really need it. It isn't an anti-inflammatory, just a pain killer. I use ice to reduce the swelling, plus some Aspercreme - I'm going to have to try that Arnica stuff Mike spoke of. A dozen Vicodin will typically last me two seasons. I have a very high pain threshold so a little goes a long way. My current supply came from a prescription the Doc gave me in September when I broke my finger. I think I took one vicodin to deal with that pain and I've saved the rest in case I need them.

I actually went to a Narcotics Anonymous meeting with a friend once (he was the one with the addiction - I went for support and to see what happens at one of those meetings). I was stunned that people get addicted to Vicodin and other painkillers. I just don't get it. I don't get any kind of high from them - they just help kill the pain in my knees. If you want to abuse an illegal drug, stick to marijuana. You'll get stupid and fall asleep, but at least you won't get truly addicted (IMO) and you won't be belligerent nor will you have a hangover.

Don't take Vicodin if you have an addictive personality, nor if you plan to drive/drink or have sex.

Oh, hey Neil. Taking 2-3 times the recommended dose of Ibuprofen and doing that for days at a time was what triggered my IBD. If you have any history of IBD (Crohns, Ulcerative Colitis, etc.) in your family, I urge you to avoid ibuprofen or at least use it in moderation. I wish I could find a really good topical anti-inflammatory. Then I could just apply it to my knees and be happy. Maybe that Arnica stuff is the ticket. I'll have to go find some at a store.

http://www.arrowroot.com/

Go to "Homeopathy" under "By Category". There's a special "topical Arnica" category once you get to the homeopathy page and pellets can be found under "single remedy pellets".

Please do read up on homepathic dosages first... for me, a few 200C pellets is good for moderate muscle inflammation and minor bruising, and a few 1M pellets is good for trauma such as sprains and serious bruises.

This is something to apply or take *after* riding, not before. I'm gonna try out some SportLegs sometime soon...

leg press

Serious muscle training especially in the 8 weeks before saison start does the job. Mix up some heavy weight/low number trainings with some more endurance/strength trainings that burn your legs already in summer or autumn. And don't forget your shoulders! There would be nothing to add, if there would not have been said so much before.

I don't like drugs to achieve more performance in sports. For me it's a little bit like doping. As in competition sports, you should do everything to give your body what he needs, i.e. bananas and noodles the evening before and after a day on the slopes, enough carbohydrate during the day and lots of water as mantioned before. Stop thinking like a skier, start thinking like a sportsman

I agree with Skywalker here.

I feel like a hypocrite saying this b/c I have not really worked out in a long time, but I don't take any pills, etc (I'm also only 26), although a few Mondays last year I felt like I was in a boxing match the day before. I know a lot of you guys are older and may have previous injuries or just a lot of wear and tear on your joints, but Ray, if you don't have any such conditions, you may want to ask yourself if you are in teh best condition possible. Of course you will be sore from impacts when/if you fall, but I think if you are lift or exercise regularly and stretch/warm up, DOMS will not be nearly as noticeable as your muscles are used to being utilized (although it seems hard to really closely simulate snowboarding motions).

I always feel like I'm the only one to stretch in the logde. Maybe everyone just does it before arriving. Anyway, I know a camelback has helped me a lot (and now I'm experimenting with a water/gatorade concotion) and I usually have some kind of powerbar about 2 hours in. And sleep obvoiusly helps. I think the more you ride too, the more your body gets used to it-adaptation, basically, like lifting. Probably why my legs don't last too long on the carving board- not really used to the "motions" yet.

my .02. good luck

===

Barry

Originally posted by Barry

I feel like a hypocrite saying this b/c I have not really worked out in a long time, but I don't take any pills, etc (I'm also only 26)

There's the key, right there - only 26. Your body still has some amazing recuperative powers. Come back and talk to us in 15 years or so...

BTW I'm 43 and don't often do the vitamin I either but if it makes the difference between riding and not riding I'll jump on it. I also work out, quite a lot.

hehe. Neil, good point. I give you all credit, I guess only time will tell if I'm still riding. Sure hope to be. You could always take the Bonds/ Giambi/<insert MLB player name here>/BALCO approach, although serious side effects are likely :D

===

Barry

ps bring the psycho puppet back

I don’t think it’s really a motion you can train for. Let me explain where I get sore first.

After riding for two days or longer my outer calves, my feet muscles, basically all stabilizing muscles from the knee down get sore to the point that I don’t really know if I am slightly bruised or just sore.

Yes, I go to the gym and train a lot, I do the stair machine for 45 minutes, heavy leg presses, calve machines, you name it…

Here is the thing, if I don’t train every day for some time, I get sore really bad in all my muscle groups. I.e. my pec’s (after a nice chest workout) get so sore, I can’t even hug my wife without crying like a little baby. My body just produces so much lactic acid, it’s not normal.

And my nutrition is what I think really good, I drink tons of water, eat all the healthy stuff, take mineral subs…

I think because of the unique iso-tension we need in our feet and calf muscles (to put pressure on the edges) that my body is just going nuts and produces all that lactic acid there. The harder and longer I ride the first day the more sore I get the second or third day…

I just need to ride every day I guess

Ray