Note to New Members ×

Goggle lens for flat light

Hilux

I've done a search on here and couldn't find much. I've also read/researched what other companies offer but would appreciate the opinion of fellow BOL'ers as well.

I'm looking for a goggle (lens) that's good for flat light. What colours have you found work best for those cloudy days, shaded slopes, and the after 1:30pm light conditions? I've had a pair of Smiths with the orange/amber lens for 10 years but I'm due for something that'll bring out the definition in terrain more. As I'm on a limited budget, is there anything you've found in the $100 range that's worked well? Any suggestions/input would be helpful!

I like the Smith Sensor lenses well enough. But the best low light lens I've used was the Oakley HI series. HI Yellow or HI Blue (and I think there's an amber one) are amazing. I currently have Smiths plus a pair of Zeal photochromic ones. I wear both, but I think the Oakleys were better. Oakleys were so good that they were too bright to wear if the sun came out.

Smith Sensor Mirror and Oakley High Intensity Yellow are pretty much the two that come up when I've seen this topic discussed elsewhere. I'm using Oakley Crowbars with HI Yellow lenses, and have been happy with them. The PNW gets a lot of socked in days with really flat light, and while those goggles don't make it like a bluebird day, they're better than anything else I've used. However, note that Crowbars don't work well with helmets, due to a shortish strap. Worth bringing your helmet to the store when you try them on.

Oakley's version of Sensor is Pink Iridium, BTW. Pink is much better choice when you need one lense for pow-pow with occasional sun

Good point. One thing I would add is if there's a chance of some clearing, I avoid the HI Yellow - it's too bright / hard on the eyes if there's much sunshine. I have ridden them for sunny days (who's going to go back to the car on an unexpected bluebird day?), but I prefer an amber lens for mixed conditions.

Smith Sensor Mirror and Oakley High Intensity Yellow are pretty much the two that come up when I've seen this topic discussed elsewhere. I'm using Oakley Crowbars with HI Yellow lenses, and have been happy with them. The PNW gets a lot of socked in days with really flat light, and while those goggles don't make it like a bluebird day, they're better than anything else I've used. However, note that Crowbars don't work well with helmets, due to a shortish strap. Worth bringing your helmet to the store when you try them on.

Fire iridium for bluebird days and HI Yellow for flat days, I'm running crowbars with a Smith Holt helmet and the fit is perfect. No comparison to my old Boeri/Zeal setup... Size L/XL too, I have a huge head.

Note: Light transmission of-Fire Iridium is 16%

-High Intensity yellow is 90%

A Good all around would be the H.I. Persimmon at 63%

Here is a link: Go to the Optical Superiority dropdown menu and select lens tints

http://www.oakley.com/innovation

A Good all around would be the H.I. Persimmon at 63%

I agree, been using the Persimmon for mixed sun/snow/clouds on the same day, and they allow good visiblilty when it's going to be a mixed weather day. In stormy or uber low light conditions, I go straight to the Oakley HI Yellow Iridium's.

I'm a welder by trade and when it comes to shade necessary for a particular welding process, eye color becomes a factor for some.

This is also comparable to sunglasses and goggles but with welding it is imperative. Too little shade and some serious discomfort or injury can result.

I myself have VERY light grey-blue eyes so I always prefer a very dark shade for direct sunlight so the fire irridium lenses are amazing. In contrast, someone with a darker eyecolor will be happy with persimmon for all conditions.

I've been trying to work through this the past few years. Have you ever experienced that wavy, aura sensation in low light? It's totally unnerving and disorienting.

Anyway, I've had the worst luck with rose and orange/amber lenses in low light. The best have been gold/pale yellow--though maybe it's different for different people. Just my two cents.

A review on Amazon (I think) said that the Smith I/O Sensor lenses were very suceptible to scratching (even after 1st day). Anyone else experience this?

it's I/O goggles problem - not sensor mirror lense problem! frameless goggles is a lense-destroyer - just occasionally drop goggles - and lense take all the beating. so do ANY branch in the woods. frameless goggles - started by infamous POC Lobes - is non-practical fashion item. avoid

my first sensors is in Smith Knowledge Turbo Fan - I rode them alone for almost 300 days in 4 seasons, half of the time in the woods. yes, scratched, but not of any criminal amount. now it is my backup goggles

I've always enjoyed the amber lenses from Oakley for flat light, but recently switched to the Anon Helix frame with a 'silver amber' lens. The reflective coating makes it comfortable to wear on bright days, but still lots of contrast and enough light in the grey. The only time I switch to a different lens is night riding when I use a clear lens in a second helix frame.

The best part is that the helix is about $60 locally. It fits narrower faces well.

• 2 weeks later...

I suppose I should have specified as well that I'll be riding at night. Will lenses like the Smith sensor mirror suffice for night time conditions? I know it will be a dramatic improvement from what I have now but anyone with experience with these lenses or anything else that has worked for you at night please chime in!