Note to New Members ×

Goggle lens for flat light

Hilux

I use the Smith Sensor for night riding. It works well, though it makes the light sources into stars for me. Initially this effect bugged me but overall the lense made things brighter, so I've been wearing it and it's not as much of an issue as I thought. That and snow and ice thrown up while I was carving without googles scratched my eye one night, affecting my vision for several days.

Cheers,

Dave

Great thanks PT! I might go try the Anon Helix as well, they came with a an amber mirror (almost like the Sensor but the outside is completely mirrored) and an additional lens for the same price as the Smith's with Sensor. I've heard the quality of optics are "better" in the Smiths but I probably couldn't tell the difference. Ah decisions...

best lens I have ever used for transitional and flat light is the latest zeal sppx lens, polarized and photcromatic, seems to adjust to the perfect tint (for me) in most available light conditions.

in the past have tried smith, oakley, and uvex to name just a few, the zeal lens beats them all hands down...

the fit of the zeal isn't making me love it, way to big for my face, but I love the lens.

Almost every bad accident I have had involved flat light of some kind. So I stopped riding in flat light. Lost a lot of days that way..rode lots of half days..

Until I got the Zeal Yellow lens.

Now I can ride in very flat light and in falling snow without much of a problem.

They cut my injury rate down.

I have the same issue John. I find flat light very unnerving to ride in and like you have cut many days shorter than I would have liked just due to comfort level.

I snapped a strap hinge on a pair of Scott goggles last season so I have to replace them with something that will also suit night riding.

Anyone have recommendations for wide goggles? Or a solution on how to fix the size adjuster retaining clip molded into the inside of a Smith helmet? Mine cracked and now i have to wear a hat to make up the extra space inside the helmet. Either that or I was going to use boot fitter foam to fit it a little better.