Note to New Members ×

Lift line protection

Hilux

Anyone have any ideas for the best defence from lift line ignorance? My skis and boards over the years have been ravaged by impatient people who insist on skiing/boarding on top of me while waiting in line. This isn't a huge deal but just a reoccurring seasonal pet peeve.

I've used the old method of tapping my ski/board up and down (like you're trying to get snow off of it) but that can result in more damage if they aren't getting the hint. And I've tried many times asking politely to stop running over my board/skis and some appear shocked by this simple request.

Having established what I've tried, are there any other methods that have worked for you in the past? I was thinking of putting the DaKine Spike m'jigs along the tail but don't know how effective this would be. Perhaps a good deterrent...I remember seeing this somewhere on Bomber maybe? Thanks for any suggestions!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My approach is to try to not let it happen in the first place. I watch those around me in the line like a hawk and when on the board pivot around and use my free boot as barrier and my arms as gates to keep people off the board. And when on the skis I use my poles as planted barriers and try to keep my skis slanted so my tails are going outside the ropes so the tails can't get run over. It's a constant battle! :D

Polite yet firm dialogue usually works too - "C'mon maaan! Don't tell you'd like the tops of your skis all scraped up?! PLEASE don't ski on my board man that is just completely uncool!" It is usually pretty easy to shame someone out of bad behavior when it's obvious to all around in the life line that messing up someone's hard-earned expensive equipment is just a major party foul.

Go to your local home improvement center and buy a carpet tack strip. Put adhesive backed velcro on your board and the carpet strip. Attach to board. Problem solved!! Although if you make the mistake of intitiating the contact, even accidentally, things could get ugly!

I remember a photo where someone put spikes on the back of their skis and boards. Genius!

:lol: yeah I remember it was Dave*. If not mistaken was on it's tail of his ATV. He screwd a couple of longer SS screws on a thin of piece of plastic and glued the plastic with the sharp end face up.:eplus2:

And it works...!!! People noticed or get cought and has their base deep cut (deeper thn scratch).

Now how about people (mostly skier) that crossing your board on nose or tail in the line up before the gate...

RT

When you get to the lift line, just put on the face mask.....

:lol:

Great thanks guys. I think I'll try the DaKine spikes that Bomber sells or modify some leatherwork spikes and go from there.

Sinecure, thanks for the link. I guess I didn't search hard enough...sorry for a duplicate thread folks! I'd still be interested in hearing what others have to say or if anyone has any other pics.

When it's really getting busy in the liftline I take my board of and clip it on right before I get in the lift (stepin).

When I ask to get of my board, I've stopped to ask it politely, it's just not a question anymore....it's an order or else...:smashfrea .

Most people just aren't aware that they are destroying your board. They just find it common to put their skis/poles on your board and destroy your property. Most people apologize when I make a remark to get their skis of my board.

One simple thing that can help:

- Don't stand in the liftline with your board flat on its base and the nose pointing directly forward.

- Always rest your board on it's toeside edge with the heelside edge up in the air, and rest your board at a slight angle, such that the person behind you will run into your base material or tail (rather than over your topsheet) if they slide their skis/snowboards too far forward.

That said, for long liftlines, I like Hans's idea of taking off your board in long liftlines. I might start doing that.

Sometimes I just start yelling, "Oww! My Tail! My Tail! And then I jump around on one foot while shaking the tail of my board.

:lol:

I've given up, it's a pointless battle. Your board is going to get scratched no matter what. The best solution is to take the board off if you really care.

Queequeg, did I read that right? You value your topsheet more than your base?

I just put tail protection on mine. Dakine Spike pad, cut into strips, and #12x1/2" stainless steel sheet metal screws from Lowes. The screws fit perfectly in the Spikes, and grips to the plastic/rubber material.

We'll have to wait and see if it stays on.

Khanh

_KTV3989.jpg

Queequeg, did I read that right? You value your topsheet more than your base?

Last time I looked skis only have metal edges on the bottom, and topsheets tend to be way less durable than base material. The damage is caused by metal edges bearing down on your delicate topsheet material and scraping at it. My bases are flawless.

I get just as annoyed as everyone else here over having my tail stepped on, but those screws to me seem like a very bad idea. If anyone were to get cut up by them I think you may have a law suit on your hands. I,m sure that most hill owners would not stand for that on thier property due to liability issues. A better idea would be to use clear film like on car hoods and replace it every now and then and just accept that this is a part of standing in crowded lift lines. I also have no problem shaming the person behind me.

KTV- wow man :eek:...that's crazy but I like. I don't think I want to go to that extent although it would get the point across...mah mah no pun intended ;)

I'm with graham on this one that the addition of screws might be asking for your ticket to get clipped or worst case lawsuit from some raging skier/snowboarder/operator. I figure the Dakine spikes are more or less harmless and wouldn't be able to break skin/jacket in stock form. Graham, awesome idea of the clear hood film! Hmmm, I'm leaning towards, DaKine spikes, grip tape, clear film or any combination of these. I kinda wanna see what other kind of crazy is out there though...

Unfortunately I think this falls under the social convention that if someone is being a jerk, calling them out on it only makes them think you're the jerk. You know, like with smokers. :rolleyes:

I called out a teenage lift line smoker last season and probably came out looking like a grumpy old dude in skiboots.Of course,the fact that I removed the lit cigarette from his mouth and crumbled it,and then balled him out for being an inconsiderate jackass didn't help my image much either,hehe.

I called out a teenage lift line smoker last season and probably came out looking like a grumpy old dude in skiboots.Of course,the fact that I removed the lit cigarette from his mouth and crumbled it,and then balled him out for being an inconsiderate jackass didn't help my image much either,hehe.

My hat is off to you and your large balls, sir! :biggthump

KTV - that looks a bit beefier than what I've tried. I will confirm that putting the dakine spikes (shown below) around the edges DOES NOT WORK. We are too bad-ass in our turns for them to stay on. It took 1 run for most of them to come off and another 3 runs to finally eliminate all but one (it must have been the one Chuck Norris made at the factory).

3WqotKhdlAp3qN_JExN6R9zL6ko5fx8zrTUBeiinDNpy-aE4V76h01bSYIOupcPLcTUM4TflVcT-cNDhXAjXCN2ClRMpg3bQ488_lAJblPv6TgTfQ4hS-vqZytDov16xdOeM9gEQ

KTV, I'm liking the amount of adhesive and surface area that your solution covers. These spikes above are individual and maybe 1cm x 1cm and have a small amount of adhesive on the back. Hopefully yours has more grab.

I have been giving this a lot of thought...one technique I have read is to actually take a file and round the edges of the topsheet on the back of the board so as to make it harder for a ski/snowboard edge to grab there. Tognar sells strips of topsheet board tape, but I imagine these would get ripped off in seconds and you'd just end up polluting the slope.

I'm at a loss because it seems like the best solution would be put some crazy adhesive-backed spike on there, but then when you try to take that off you could be ruining the topsheet:

I've given up, it's a pointless battle. Your board is going to get scratched no matter what. The best solution is to take the board off if you really care.
QFT?

You should try Europe. North America is really not the best place to get your topsheet scratched up.

I don't usually have any trouble though: in non-hysterical queues just looking at the people before they stand on your board usually works. Otherwise holding the board at an angle as mentioned.

I just take it off in the Alps when there's a scrum. It's the only way as they're way beyond respecting your personal space.