Note to New Members ×

Lift line protection

Hilux

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

KTV - that looks a bit beefier than what I've tried. I will confirm that putting the dakine spikes (shown below) around the edges DOES NOT WORK. We are too bad-ass in our turns for them to stay on. It took 1 run for most of them to come off and another 3 runs to finally eliminate all but one (it must have been the one Chuck Norris made at the factory).

3WqotKhdlAp3qN_JExN6R9zL6ko5fx8zrTUBeiinDNpy-aE4V76h01bSYIOupcPLcTUM4TflVcT-cNDhXAjXCN2ClRMpg3bQ488_lAJblPv6TgTfQ4hS-vqZytDov16xdOeM9gEQ

KTV, I'm liking the amount of adhesive and surface area that your solution covers. These spikes above are individual and maybe 1cm x 1cm and have a small amount of adhesive on the back. Hopefully yours has more grab.

I have been giving this a lot of thought...one technique I have read is to actually take a file and round the edges of the topsheet on the back of the board so as to make it harder for a ski/snowboard edge to grab there. Tognar sells strips of topsheet board tape, but I imagine these would get ripped off in seconds and you'd just end up polluting the slope.

I'm at a loss because it seems like the best solution would be put some crazy adhesive-backed spike on there, but then when you try to take that off you could be ruining the topsheet:

QFT?

I looked at those this summer too, Nick, contemplating board protection. But I thought they wouldn't hold up to someone hitting it, from lack of surface area. Glad I didn't go with them since they don't even stay on riding.

My other thought was if there were gaps in the protection,a ski could still hit it and their edge would still wind up on the top sheet, with the ski at an angle. So I went with the Spike to have material between the rises, to have more protection. I figured with the 1/8" or so material plus spikes that makes the ski raise if my tail is run over, there shouldn't be a chance it can hit the middle of the top sheet of the tail now.

I'm going to do the same to my freestyle board, without screws, so I have something to switch to in case my local hill complains about the screws. My freestyle board was bought last December, and the only marks on it are on the tail where it's been run over :angryfire

What I dread in the lift line is the kid with his/her front binding at zero. :smashfrea

They shuffle up the line to load, and I just know when they twist their body 90 degrees to sit down on the lift next to me their Walmart special is going to come swinging around at high speed and contact my board-- edge to edge-- with a force similar to Mike Tyson really laying one on. Have you ever taken two hammers and swung them face to face? That's it. :eek:I can just feel that carefully tuned edge buckle at impact. If by some miracle your edges don't suffer, a gaping C shaped scar appears on your top sheet. Tough to avoid that.:(

What I dread in the lift line is the kid with his/her front binding at zero. :smashfrea

They shuffle up the line to load, and I just know when they twist their body 90 degrees to sit down on the lift next to me their Walmart special is going to come swinging around at high speed and contact my board-- edge to edge-- with a force similar to Mike Tyson really laying one on. Have you ever taken two hammers and swung them face to face? That's it. :eek:I can just feel that carefully tuned edge buckle at impact. If by some miracle your edges don't suffer, a gaping C shaped scar appears on your top sheet. Tough to avoid that.:(

Exactly what happened to me last season. First time out on an immaculate 185 Frontier (looked like NOS). Didn't help that the kid was more interested in his buddies on the chair in front. Lucky for him that I work there and had to temper my fury :angryfire

I was on an old factory prime a few years ago and a girl (boarder) next to me on the chair had a nervous tick that dictated that she would reliably "wiggle" to get herself as far back in the chair as possible. Every time she did it, her board would smash into mine with monster truck force and she'd just look at me, smile and ask more questions about my "crazy" board. Must have happened a dozen times on the ride up. Those are the only things that I remember about her.

I've been thinking it would not be difficult to rig up an alarm that would trigger and sound just like the screaching,annoying car alarms that resonate in shopping mall parking lots.The alarm would continue until the perp has removed their board from yours.

It could even be accompanied by a Robocop style voice"Step away from the Coiler,this is your final warning."

The only way to truly protect the board is to take it off, just like Hans said. I also clip in just before getting in the chair (NOT clip in) and I only wait for comments on that. :boxing_sm Haven't got in a fight yet but it will happen.

As to sticking things onto my board I was thinking sandpaper, also a slalom cone (but it would problematic to make it stay on).

I think the problem is that most of guys over here ride rented equipment and they don't give a sht.

I just put tail protection on mine. Dakine Spike pad, cut into strips, and #12x1/2" stainless steel sheet metal screws from Lowes. The screws fit perfectly in the Spikes, and grips to the plastic/rubber material.

We'll have to wait and see if it stays on.

Khanh

_KTV3989.jpg

Keep up the good work!!

1/ Start racing, become pro and get free boards, then as soon as there is a tiny scratch wail for a new one.

2/ Hike, its free and you get fit at the same time.

3/ Buy a helicopter.

4/ Dress and smell like a hobo, you will have plenty of personal space. ( Not trying to be derogatory, some of my best friends are nice smelling tramps)

5/ Try not to worry as it really does not do that much damage and think about where you are. You are in the mountains and snowboarding, and when you are snowboarding there should be no room in the mind for ill-tempered thoughts.

6/ Punch the ignorant knob jockey in the goggles.

Just a few ideas:)

Goes well with the board's theme, innit? :ices_ange

20111120140823957.jpg

Ten minutes job, a piece of aluminium, a hacksaw, a double sided tape.

Yes, I know it is totally sociopathic. :sleep:

You can maximise the penetration by bending those teeth slightly to max 45* facing back:eplus2:...oh yeah this way it also will save the rider just in case u sitting on it by accident :rolleyes:

I like what Bryan post it here http://www.bomberonline.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=356957#poststop

Happy snow & take it easy,

RT :ices_ange

1/ Start racing, become pro and get free boards, then as soon as there is a tiny scratch wail for a new one.

2/ Hike, its free and you get fit at the same time.

3/ Buy a helicopter.

4/ Dress and smell like a hobo, you will have plenty of personal space. ( Not trying to be derogatory, some of my best friends are nice smelling tramps)

5/ Try not to worry as it really does not do that much damage and think about where you are. You are in the mountains and snowboarding, and when you are snowboarding there should be no room in the mind for ill-tempered thoughts.

6/ Punch the ignorant knob jockey in the goggles.

Just a few ideas:)

I struggle with number five, more of a mental block...or lack thereof. My old boards I'm not too concerned about but it's the new one that I worked my a$$ off to pay for that worry about. Sure, a scratch really isn't a big deal and it doesn't affect performance or my ability to have fun. The concern is Johnny-Ignorant. It all comes down to principle, manners, attitude, and respect (in no particular order). It's like getting that first scratch/ding on a car; once it's over, the damage is done, there's a sense of relief...after the initial rage subsides of course :eplus2:

Can you still access good cord with a helicopter? ;)

Me too..

I value aesthetics as well as taking care of my equipment. If you got a used or new car wouldnt you mind someone bumping, scratching, dinging it? I for sure do.

Though I have to say most of these ideas are bound to get you not only arrested but sued to kingdom come. But since we're in crazy land, I'd be more interested in finding out what legal recourse you can pursue if someone dings your snowboard. File a police report? Could this be considered destruction of private property? How could you prove it?