Nakiska Expression Session 2012

Riceball

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Does anyone know why it is so cold during this session?

BTW It's celebrity day at Sunshine on Saturday. Anyone want to use Alec Baldwin and William Shatner as gates?

Dave

Hey, a buddy of mine met Shatner in the bar at celebrity day years ago. Apparently he's a great guy to have a beer with.

Steve is being kind enough to wrangle me to the hill so I will see you all Friday morning!

Hey, a buddy of mine met Shatner in the bar at celebrity day years ago. Apparently he's a great guy to have a beer with.

Steve is being kind enough to wrangle me to the hill so I will see you all Friday morning!

Ok while he's saving North America's waterways maybe we could have him mention alpine boarding too. :D

BTW Buzz Aldrin is there I bet he'd be a fan of alpine.:cool:

Looking forward to seeing you all on Friday.

The Tuesday snowfall topped out at 27cm. It's cold out today, with a high of +1 tomorrow. The new snow should be groomed in and set up beautifully for Friday - when the forecast is for a high of +3 and bluebird.

Looks like I might not get frostbite this year, huzzah!

Nick - I might grab a ride Sat - I think I'll be picking Steve S up on Friday. I can meet you at the Petro-Can if that works.

Re the off day - who has parks passes we can use? I just got a new one, so I can cover one car of people, but we will probably need at least one more.

Does park pass roulette work ? Between Christmas and Newyear i did park pass every other day. I thought all Calgary Rednecks didn't like taxes. Having to pay $20 ever day to drive on a park road to get to a private resort seems like the worst kind of tax , considering that car load was bringing in a mininum of $350 worth of business. Nice to hear you have a dump of snow sorry we missed it.

Meh. Park passes can be pricey (I get a family one so I can have other people in the car, $140 a year) but I figure the parks people do a great job, and I'll do my bit to help. Plus I use mine in the summer as well, when I camp in Banff and Waterton and go mountain biking. At Waterton you can activate the gate after hours if you have a pass - otherwise you have to make sure you're in for the night by 10pm ...

And from the good to know file - if you have an accident in the park and have to be airlifted, or if you get lost and they call out SAR - if you have a parks pass, it's paid for. if you don't, you're on your own. I didn't know that until last year.

You can play roulette, sure, and lots of people do. It's a $250 fine if you get busted, and it gets attached to your vehicle registration. They have stings on the Sunshine road three or four times a winter ... just so you know.:eplus2:

Leave late enough to have to park on sunshine access road your asking for trouble, surprised more aren't hurt on that road. Riding inbound at sunshine with daily lifts for 5 ouch to the wallet. Hop on the road 10 squirts of the washer fluid and your there, from the # of km to sunshine thats a pretty expensive toll. The truith is for locals it's a great deal to a visitor not so much. When your not taking in anything the park has to offer like you would in the summer it's really just a tax. Damn nice riding when you get there i'm just jealous. I was wondering how may of those park passes are actually Wall Mart reciepts tape to the windshield.

The Valley Ridge carpool is the one by the recycle bins, by the Pavilion there? I know where that is, but the Petro-Can works better because I'm way in the south. It's easier for me to take Glenmore to Hwy 8, otherwise I have to take Glenmore/Sarcee to 16th, through all the LRT construction, and it's a PITA.

I'm good for Friday as I'll be riding with Steve S - let's talk about Saturday then.

comin back from whitefish tomorrow and rolling out to Nakiska for Friday.

Giddy up.

Kurt

Sweet looking forward to seeing you there!

Put unicants on Liv's SB board and kicked her SB angles up from 15/6 to 35/30 this evening. She says it feels comfy we'll see how long it takes her to get used to it on Friday. I might need to narrow it as well but we'll see. Maybe have her on the plates on that board by the end of the weekend.

Dave

Weather watch ...

Friday still looks good, sunny and warm.

Saturday looks good, some cloud cover and a little cooler.

Sunday is supposed to snow, and the temperature is forecast to drop like a stone.

Is there anyone who wants to ride in Banff on Saturday instead of Sunday? If the weather is going to turn to crap, I don't want to be driving back from Banff in a snowstorm, especially when people have planes to catch. I can handle going as far as Nakiska on Sunday, but the road between Sunshine and LL is rotten when it snows.

Throwing it out there ...

Weather watch ...

Is there anyone who wants to ride in Banff on Saturday instead of Sunday?

Throwing it out there ...

Most people have committed to Friday/Saturday in Nakiska. Some people have even changed work-shifts to ride in Nakiska on Saturday because there was a chance we were going somewhere else on Sunday.

We can talk about it more tomorrow.

I'll have Neil, Darcy and Wonser coming to the hill with me in the morning.

If anyone is interested in dinner Friday night, let me know. It would have to be no later than 6pm as I have a soccer match that evening. I was thinking about Salt and Pepper Mexican in Bowness or Sushi Ichiban at Market Mall.
I'm afraid I'm going to have to bail on both Friday and Saturday nights this year to spend some time with my sister. Riding all three days though.