Nakiska Expression Session 2012

Riceball

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

YYEEEEEESSSSSSSS! I'm in, was wondering what dates this would be as I saw cheap tickets coming available.

Can you post any details that are on the Facebook site here as well? For those of us that aren't on Facebook... ;)

Yes, I'll update both sites as the details are ironed out.

• 3 weeks later...

This discussion started-up in the "Kicking Horse AM or Carve" thread I've got going, so I'm bringing it over here.

Rice,

Any chance of going somewhere on Sunday to do either some AM riding, or at least a different set of groomers for those who can't get their freak on off piste, would be nice way to finish off NES this year. Sunshine, Louise, and Castle were all forwarded in that other thread. I know you consisdered this last year but all the other mountains had some events on.

Corey,

What do you mean no AM board? That 182 NSR has got to be just awesome in tight trees. ;)

Dave

The NSR? It'll stay in the board bag if there's fresh, I can barely bend it on firm snow! Speaking of which, I've got to go do some more squats... ;)

Come to think of it, my 167 VSR is technically an AM board. It was infinitely more fun than the 182 Monster in the powder bumps of 2011's NES. Meh, I'm still more interested in groomers.

This discussion started-up in the "Kicking Horse AM or Carve" thread I've got going, so I'm bringing it over here.

Rice,

Any chance of going somewhere on Sunday to do either some AM riding, or at least a different set of groomers for those who can't get their freak on off piste, would be nice way to finish off NES this year. Sunshine, Louise, and Castle were all forwarded in that other thread. I know you consisdered this last year but all the other mountains had some events on.

Dave

I'm up for that. A couple years ago we did Sunshine on Sunday and that worked out pretty well. We can do that again! So, the tentative plan would be Friday/Saturday at Nakiska then Sunday at Sunshine.

From the Kicking Horse thread:

What about of we made the Saturday freeride day? So we did Nakiska Friday, wherever else Sat, and back to Nakiska on Sunday?

That sounds fun too. I'm up for anything. We should probably just watch the forecast and adjust on the fly. I did cause more board damage on one day at Sunshine than multiple years of crappy Manitoba snow. :( Wasn't a big fan of that, and traverses suck.

I'm kind of over Sunshine right now. I'd prefer Louise, if the snow's good. There's more terrain there, and the carving on the front is rather good if conditions are right.

I'm all for making the decision last minute. It's all within an easy drive anyway.

Haha, I'd dig out a trailmap if I saw that on the ride up. There's GOT to be another way down! :barf:
If you want to get back to the bottom of Paradise lift, it's either the bumps or some hiking and then double-diamond trees IIRC. No easy way down. You can flip over to the front side from there, though, and there's nice groomers all the way.

The locals used to call it "Comedy Bowl" because it looks easier from the lift than it is, so there is always comedy to be had on the lift ride up. Not sure if that nickname is still current.

• 4 weeks later...

Corey, where are you staying this year? My sister moved to Calgary this year so I'm crashing at her place. It's near the corner of 85th St and Bow Trail SW, not sure that's convenient for anybody to sponge a ride off, so trying to sort out my options for getting to the hill. Maybe cab to where you are and then hitch with you?

Corey, where are you staying this year? My sister moved to Calgary this year so I'm crashing at her place. It's near the corner of 85th St and Bow Trail SW, not sure that's convenient for anybody to sponge a ride off, so trying to sort out my options for getting to the hill. Maybe cab to where you are and then hitch with you?

Neil,

That address is just North of me and on the way to mountains. I could pick you up on the way out.