Note to New Members ×

Using different liners in UPZ RC-10

Ernie00

I run Intuition Alpine liners in mine. My feet froze at about 15F with the stock UPZ liners, now I'm good to about -5F before I run boot warmers. (disclaimer: I have really poor foot circulation and get cold feet before most everyone else I ride/ski with.)

Supposedly the Intuition liners make the boot feel softer, I really didn't mesh with the stock liners so I can't compare.

Use conformable liners(foamed in by surefoot,killington) which aren't very warm but have the heel in a lock, put the heatmax packets (http://www.heatmax.com/) under the shell over the liner above the toes then a foot glove, toasty warm and the shell stays pliable, somewhat.

The stock liners are unused.

Cold feet cold heart, cold heart cold hands;)

I'd use the stock liner before a foam wraparound, heal slip is the gateway drug

to softbooting, IMHO

I'm 215 lbs and using Deeluxe 141 thermofits in UPZ RTRs. I couldn't use the stock Flo liner with a tongue as the edge of the tongue would put painful pressure on my shins. Switching to a full wrap solved that.

When I put the Deeluxe 141s in I initially changed to the grey tongue to maintain the same stiffness of the boot. Since then I've gone back to the black tongue because I like having a bit of flex to absorb chopped up snow.

Dave

Not sure who you are talking to exactly but I got my Deeluxe 141s from YYZCanuck. One other thing, a thermo definately has more volume than the stock Flo. If you have had areas on your boots punched, you might need to have them punched a second time to give you space again.

Cheers,

Dave

The Deeluxe 141s are apparently non-Intuition and are from Palau in France.

I ran the stock liners in my RC10s for the first season. My shells are 287mm, marked 5.5/6/6.5 and the stock liners were marked as 5 and a half. They were fine until they started to pack out, and I found I was really buckling down tight to compensate.

For the 2<sup>nd</sup> season I bought the Deeluxe Speed Red liners from Bomber and had them cooked. I’m using the size 25 liners. Compared to the stock liners, the Speed Red liners take up a bunch more volume in the boot. Even after getting them cooked and and fitted by a bootfitter, the initial feel was bone-crushingly tight. After trying to ride in them for a few days I had to get the shells punched out to get enough room.

As for warmth, the Speed Reds are better in the toes because there is actual fabric and filler up there compared to the stock ones. But I still get frozen toes when it is real cold and need to use warmer pads on the tops of my feet. I just ordered a set of Therm-ic Basix boot heaters to see how they work out. If I like them with the cheap AA battery packs I can upgrade to lithium packs later on.

So today I went by my local Surefoot dealer and found that they are having a Labor Day sale. There’s this sale, and another in late October. The orthotic is not discounted, but the foam-in liner is 30% off, I think. Now is the time to get the foam injected liners if I’m going to do it at all this season. I want to ride 80+ days if I can, so maybe I shouldn’t dork around and just go full custom? Should I be choosy about which Surefoot shop I go to if I have a choice?

Ernie,

I'd look at the Power Wrap, Luxury or Pro Tour. I have Pro Tours in my AT boots and like them. With SB boots, you have similar properties to an AT boot with the walk/ride mechanism. The added flex panel on the pro tour means that the liners will break down less over time spent hiking in the boots.

Fathead - you should be choosy about which SF tech you see. There are some threads over on TGR about the various SF shops in CO. Also, go in prepared for the full sales pitch. They aren't there to let you out the door cheap.

I would definitely stay away from Intuition Power Wrap. I made my Heads non ride able. I removed plastic wrap from them remold them and used in AT boots, but it still sucked. This summer I got Full Tilt liner for my AT boots. So far I am very pleased how it feels. In my Heads I still have old Raichle thermo liner.

I would definitely stay away from Intuition Power Wrap. I made my Heads non ride able. I removed plastic wrap from them remold them and used in AT boots, but it still sucked. This summer I got Full Tilt liner for my AT boots. So far I am very pleased how it feels. In my Heads I still have old Raichle thermo liner.

That big of a change? Really? The Power Wrap looks VERY similar to the Dalbello Gold liners that many rave about. It's just a higher-density foam wrap on the outside of the liner to make the cuff slightly stiffer.

For the 2<sup>nd</sup> season I bought the Deeluxe Speed Red liners from Bomber and had them cooked. I’m using the size 25 liners. Compared to the stock liners, the Speed Red liners take up a bunch more volume in the boot. Even after getting them cooked and and fitted by a bootfitter, the initial feel was bone-crushingly tight. After trying to ride in them for a few days I had to get the shells punched out to get enough room.

Great. I want to get some thermo liners for mine this season, because after getting frostbite last year my toes are going to be a problem. But my boots are so tight that after 2 seasons, I've only just gotten them to the point where it's not a 10 minute wrestlefest to get them on. There's not even enough room to stick a heatpack down by my toes - as soon as I slide my foot in, it peels right off.

Hmmm. Might have to take a trip to the shop and see what they recommend. Sounds like there's no way I'd manage a home cook.

So mid way through last season, tired of having frozen feet, I had my local boot fitter order the Dalbello Gold liners for my RC10's (properly measured and so on).... when the liners arrived and we tried fitting them, no chance, so tight I could not close the bucles and we ended up sending them back and I suffered through the season. so Still not sure which liners will work with the RC10's.......

So mid way through last season, tired of having frozen feet, I had my local boot fitter order the Dalbello Gold liners for my RC10's (properly measured and so on).... when the liners arrived and we tried fitting them, no chance, so tight I could not close the bucles and we ended up sending them back and I suffered through the season. so Still not sure which liners will work with the RC10's.......

It sounds as though either your feet are massive hunks of meat, your boots do not fit you, you got the wrong size liners, or your boot fitter doesn't know what s/he is doing (I suspect the latter). Many people (myself included) have dealt with the exact problem you were having with the UPZ by switching to the Dalbello Gold ID.

I have Scarpa thermowraps, similar to Intution but thicker and stiffer. They offer a noticeably softer flex than the stock liner, but they are more comfortable. It's the stiff tongue liner that makes the stock liner flex stiffer. You could bump up your boot tongue to stiffen them...

Scarpa's liners are made by Intuition.

Some people have trouble with the overlap on the wrap liners causing problems right at the seam. I think this has as much to do with the person who molds the liners as it does with the liners themselves, but it may be affected by the boot mold and riding style.

Scarpa's liners are made by Intuition.

Some people have trouble with the overlap on the wrap liners causing problems right at the seam. I think this has as much to do with the person who molds the liners as it does with the liners themselves, but it may be affected by the boot mold and riding style.

The Scarpa liners are NOW made by Intution, they were previously made by Scarpa. The newer Scarpa Intuition liners are thinner and break down faster, though they are lighter ;)

I liked the original Scarpa Thermowraps, so I scored four pair a few years back, use them in my tele, alpine, and now hard boots. The fit problem, where some folks get a pinch at the point of overlap, I don't think this is any different than the pinch some folks get in tongue liner; might even be less of a problem.

Most fit issues can be worked out with a good fitting. I do all my own baking, have done so for years, but I have shop experience as well as plenty of "oh ****" experiences to learn from...

Those RC 10 should accept any liner, it's just a plastic shell, so if a liner is too tight, it might just be too big for the shell or the shell is too small for your foot. Liners do shrink and can be compressed, but cooking generally means buying :eek:

Aftermarket liners are super expensive, might make sense to look for a liner from a discontinue boot, they are out there.

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/scarpa-plusfit-tt-high-ski-boot-liners-for-men-and-women~p~1205u/

http://gearx.com/scarpa-plus-fit-high-liners.html

I use a Scarpa Thermowrap "Plus fit High" Mondo 30 liner in my UPZ ATB 27 Shell (26.5/27/27.5), they fit perfect.

Great. I want to get some thermo liners for mine this season, because after getting frostbite last year my toes are going to be a problem. But my boots are so tight that after 2 seasons, I've only just gotten them to the point where it's not a 10 minute wrestlefest to get them on. There's not even enough room to stick a heatpack down by my toes - as soon as I slide my foot in, it peels right off.

Hmmm. Might have to take a trip to the shop and see what they recommend. Sounds like there's no way I'd manage a home cook.

Allele, its Pretty much effortless to put UPZs on with a full wrap thermo liner. I found the Flo really difficult to get on and off as it was tough to get my foot though the ankle constriction. With the full wrap you just unwrap the upper effortlessly slid your foot in, and wrap the upper back around and buckle up. So easy.

Dave

Allele, its Pretty much effortless to put UPZs on with a full wrap thermo liner.

Dave

But I'd hate to deny the crew the pleasure of watching me roll around the floor of the Nakiska locker room, puffing and panting and swearing up a storm. It's the best part of the day!

• 2 weeks later...

Aftermarket liners are super expensive, might make sense to look for a liner from a discontinue boot, they are out there.

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/scarpa-plusfit-tt-high-ski-boot-liners-for-men-and-women~p~1205u/

http://gearx.com/scarpa-plus-fit-high-liners.html

Thanks for the links.

I got a set of Scarpa liners from Gearx.com for my Burton Reactors. Bought a set of Superfeet insoles and home cooked them this weekend, they feel like brand new boots.

Now I just have to wait 3 months for snow to really try them out. :(

Jason