Note to New Members ×

Aspen or Bust Part Duex revisited!

*Ace*

They say it takes a village to raise a kid, and I really felt like y'all were our village during our stay. Thanks for all the support everyone gave the kids (and me). They both said they improved their free carving 100%, and I think that's a conservative estimation.

p.s.: They are both starting blogs so I'll post their URLs for anyone who's interested.

It's always awesome to see you and your boys rippin' it up in Aspen Dave. I think the Winters children should offer a backflip rodeo clinic next year so that all us aging carvers can learn how to do it in style !!!

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's actually a 180, not 185. I got the same flappiness until I moved my front binding 1 cm forward, then it was gone :)

you tALKING ABOUT THE NSR+ ASYM? oops, caps lock attack.

yeah, I got the grabby nose as well, moved the bindings forward, cured.

either Helmut K or me.... Helmut wears a fullface
saw it in helmut the most then, but you both have that hanging heelside attack i see on people riding F2's, kinda interesting. one of johnasmos videos shows him carving down the fall-line on the heel edge for a verylongtime, before getting whipped around over to t'other side of the gulch

Nope, the VSR 180 Mid+ Asym demo at SES. Amazing how much 1cm on just the front binding made. "Flappy" not "grabby" centered on the center pack of inserts, as scrutton mentions below.

My NSR+ Asym was fine centered on the center pack of inserts, although I move the front binding 1cm forward from there now for reasons of just feeling better there.

Of course, feedback was given to Bruce on this. Keep in mind, the asym thing has been mostly done on the NSR+ at this point and the SES attendees were testing as well as demoing.

I rode about half a dozen demo boards at SES, will post reviews when I get some time.

Thanks for tip. Well whatever length it was it was the black model with 'asym core' handwritten on it. I wouldn't call the nose grabby at all, just flappy - it looked like it was having its own party.

Thanks for tip. Well whatever length it was it was the black model with 'asym core' handwritten on it. I wouldn't call the nose grabby at all, just flappy - it looked like it was having its own party.

Yep, that was the VSR+ 180 Mid+ Asym I referred to above. Pretty sure we had the same thing happen. Didn't *always* happen for me, just when I wasn't riding it hard :D

I was a little nervous to try the plates because of all the feedback of how weird and difficult they were to get use to.

I started with the softer one, I just rode it like it wasn't even on the board. I tried all 3 working up to the stiffest.

to my surprise there was no transition period for me. what I noticed was at low speeds I felt it in my knee joint more, at high speed they took away all the bumps and chop and gave my legs more energy to go longer before I felt like I needed to rest them.

As for the difference from plate to plate. the stiff plate could not be peddled to draw out a longer turn, or slow down at the lift. I had to come in at a good speed and hockey stop it. The 2 softer plates, I had no problem twisting or peddling them to do what I wanted them to do.

as a side note, they were on my f2 196.

Anybody have any reviews on that Virus plate from one of Scrutton's pics?

Scorpio,

I am hoping that I can have a review up tonight. I had the chance to ride the following plates at SES, basically in a "back to back" shootout.

Donek Metal Rec GS (no plate)

Donek Metal Rec GS with a "stock" bomber plate

Donek Metal Rec GS with "mathilda" a prototype bomber plate

Donek Metal Rec GS with a Donek UPM plate

Donek Metal Rec GS with a Donek 4X4 plate

Coiler NSR with an Apex plate

and the pictured Virus plate on Frank's GS board.