Note to New Members ×

X Games SBX Injuries

Hasbin

Just came back from the X games. I love watching SBX, the last feature coming into the finish looked great for TV. What you don't here about was all the injuries during practice runs and final warm up to race. About 30 guys showed up to race this event, by the timerace day came 21 wre left, most of them were injured on the last feature. By the end of the race about 18 were left. I hoping that by next year they tame down the last feature to help save some carnage. This is on the mens side I'm not sure about the women

I guess what bothered me more than anything that during the warm ups when some of the boarders were getting hurt. The camera guys were right on top of the athletes filming there pain. Then they would constantly show over and over there crashes on the big screens. Then when it came to TV time they never mentioned why there were 5 man heats instead of 6 or talked about the guys who were put out due to injury.

The carnage at the finish of the women's ski final was insane.

But the most amazing (and fun) carnage to watch was SitskierX. Those guys were freakin amazing to watch.

And I think they need an event like Speed & Style (the snowmobile event) on skis and boards. You get points for speed and extra points for doing cool tricks off the booters. Can you imagine flip tricks in the middle of a BX race? :eplus2:

One of the reasons they called it the money booter was during the qualifiers Dan CSOKONAY of Canada came over the last feature and hit so hard that the impact of his butt hitting snow ripped open his pants pocket, knocking his wallet out with all his money spread all over the finish area. He was out after that fall.

I guess what bothered me more than anything that during the warm ups when some of the boarders were getting hurt. The camera guys were right on top of the athletes filming there pain. Then they would constantly show over and over there crashes on the big screens. Then when it came to TV time they never mentioned why there were 5 man heats instead of 6 or talked about the guys who were put out due to injury.

I know that most couch surfers only watch the X Games for the carnage, but nobody likes seeing people writhing around in agony. Watching Ashleigh McIvor lying on the snow screaming with a wrecked ACL does not make my day.

The abuse some of these people take is terrifying. The slams on the big air competitions this year made me cringe, and the SBX and ski cross were absolutely insane.

Up date on some of the injuries at the X Games on the Money Booter

Broken Wrist

Broken Back

Broken Ankle

Dislocated Shoulder

and at least 4 concussions maybe more

Several brusied heels ( some of these could have been from landing on wrong side of rollers.

Hope they tune this feature down next year! :confused:

One of the reasons they called it the money booter was during the qualifiers Dan CSOKONAY of Canada came over the last feature and hit so hard that the impact of his butt hitting snow ripped open his pants pocket, knocking his wallet out with all his money spread all over the finish area. He was out after that fall.

That's absurd.

I guess what bothered me more than anything that during the warm ups when some of the boarders were getting hurt. The camera guys were right on top of the athletes filming there pain. Then they would constantly show over and over there crashes on the big screens.

That's absolutely horrible. So lame.

I remember seeing that last kicker on that video Jack Posted "Wescotts View" and thinking that last kicker was just riddiculously large, and (seems to me) really inappropriate for the type of event and (given it's placement), not likely to contribute much to the competitive dynamics of the event. Not that I know much (or errr ... anything) about sbx, but it just seemed to be there as a crowd pleaser; and while watching people huck themselves way up at speed like that is certainly exciting, it's really, really unfortunate that so many athletes had to be injured for something like that.

there was once organisation before FIS governing body for snowboard olympic, to promote solidarity and competition between riders...if a course had flaw, TOP riders congress then demand satisfaction from venue/host or pull out simple as this.

There was no CHF protest fee or venue organiser to obstruct. When TOP rider disregard bull5hit of media influence, amazing things occur..

..very effective, and thus course built for flow at top speed and top riders! It is very sad on different levels as this is no longer the standard, now only comment on internet Alpine forum.

When a field of 20 Toprank riders make solidarity and give finger, you will see xgame change this silliness

Ps. funny because xgame is not even FISgovern...yea?

SEOUL, South Korea (AP) -- Skiing officials canceled a World Cup snowboard cross competition scheduled in South Korea on Monday after athletes and coaches complained the course was too dangerous and too difficult.

International Ski Federation and Korea Ski Association representatives had an emergency meeting with coaches Sunday night after competitors claimed the course at the Yongpyong ski resort in Pyeongchang was too steep with too many turns.

Pyeongchang is mounting its third bid to host the Winter Olympics, and the cancellation comes just before an International Olympic Committee team is due in South Korea from Feb. 16-19 to inspect the city's 2018 bid.

Event spokesman Ma Seung-woo, speaking by telephone from Pyeongchang in eastern Gangwon Province, said "the athletes' safety is the top priority."

He said snowboarders were concerned about injuries and called it an "unprecedented" example of athletes and coaches asking to halt a competition.

In collision-prone snowboard cross, competitors speed down a narrow course navigating steep, sharp turns and jumps in a race to the finish line.

Canadian team coach and former snowboard cross champion Drew Neilson said: "The turns were very tight, on a very steep pitch. With the speed involved, if there was an accident, there would be nowhere for anyone to go. ... It's a dangerous sport."

The snowboard cross, the fourth event in the FIS World Cup season, will be rescheduled at another venue, officials said. Meanwhile, the parallel slalom event will go on as planned Wednesday, Ma said.

Neilson blamed FIS officials for picking the wrong slope.

"We all came to the agreement that we wouldn't compete to show FIS that they have to do a better job in preparing for the event," Neilson said. "They made a mistake."

• 1 month later...

Sadly, the over-the-top course set ups are appearing at younger levels as well. The 2010 Ontario Winter Games SBX event was posponed after several riders were injured in practice runs. While young (under 19), we are still talking about the top riders in a region which produces many Olympic level athletes. These kids aren't afraid to run a tough course but practice runs wiped them out. The course was tuned to an appropriate level and the race was run a day later.

Organizers need to understand that spectators want to see a good, clean, athletic race. Not some sort of freakish spectacle that risks the riders. I get the impression that the X-Games was founded on the freakish aspect but times are changing.

• 3 weeks later...

X-treem games, I believe they invented boarderX, now sbx for TV viewing...mmm...lets see to boost ratings let's send 4, or 6 riders down the same course at the same time, put some "features" in there and see what happens. Nascar and roller derby but more dangerous. Outside mag listed the winter sports with the most injuries (visits to the medic) at the last olympics; women's sbx topped the list.

Looking at world cup results this season I noticed that there seemed to be only about half as many athletes participating in either sbx or halfpipe as there is in pgs and psl. Is this due to the high risk of serious injury or because so many athletes are already out due to injury?

I would say its probably the second

My son Kubo (now 9) is "all about alpine."

When we asked the president of USASA (the only place to race at his age) about the future of alpine, we were told that the future of alpine is boardercross! SAY IT ISN'T SO!

post-8216-141842342939_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

When we asked the president of USASA (the only place to race at his age) about the future of alpine, we were told that the future of alpine is boardercross! SAY IT ISN'T SO!

I'm afraid it is so, SBX is more exciting and pure racing. Every year you see more Alpiners making the switch. I only hope it starts getting the same kind of money behind it like BA and HP. ;)

that even sports for kids can dissappear simply because the sports are not dangerous enough to satisfy bloodthirsty spectators at the top levels of the sport.I am still going to encourage my kids to race alpine and secretly hope they do not get into skier/boardercross.

Certainly they can and will sustain an occasional injury,but in cross the possibility of catastrophic injury seems to be the main draw.

I personally don't find it to be any more interesting to watch cross than a dual alpine race.

Sad to hear that.

Proud to say this was my last year racing both alpine and BX. BX has become more and more dangerous and I would hate to ruin a season over a race that I wasn't having fun doing.

It is still snowboarding in the end. Got to have some fun.