Note to New Members ×

pants

Michael Pukas

Anyone got any recommendations for good carving pants?

I got a pair of DNA Louie Louie pants last season. They are good looking and well made, but the soft shell stretchy fabric has very poor abrasion resistance. The knees and butt have nearly worn through to the waterproof membrane. DNA says it's excessive wear and the fabric has not been designed for "snowboarding".

I'm looking for a new pair of pants that have a durable fabric that's abrasion resistant and also has good breathability. And look good! Thanks much! mpp

I like to exercise the full color offerings from Carhartt. Dark brown insulated pants for the mild spring days and duck insulated bibs (full zip and scotch guarded to the bejesus of course) for the super deep days. They come equipped with chain saw bar oil stains and complimentary sawdust in the pockets left over from previous work. I have been breaking these out primarily in the spring season for quite some time now and they just don't ever die. Black, customized tripple front pants for the long summer logging season, probably not the best color choice for the sweaty summer days in Colorado but hey, I am the man in black. I'll try and find some pics for Michael so that he can utilize the color ways for his fashion matching.:biggthump

Think Snow!

eVent is fairly new on the block, I first saw mountaineering pantwear in AK, then scored an Oakley snowboard pant closeout last fall. 25 % more breathability than Gore-Tex and more durable, very tightly woven almost spider wire fiber. I am expecting a long and useful relationship.....

I go with the $50-$100 pants from the closeout rack that I replace every 1-2 years instead of the $400 pants I replace every 3. ;) They've got to have venting zippers and at least one zip-up pocket (car keys) though.

Granted, I'm dragging knees/hips more frequently than when I started the above plan... ;)

I go with the $50-$100 pants from the closeout rack that I replace every 1-2 years instead of the $400 pants I replace every 3. ;) They've got to have venting zippers and at least one zip-up pocket (car keys) though.

Granted, I'm dragging knees/hips more frequently than when I started the above plan... ;)

Corey, I thought I was the only one that did this. I picked up my latest pair in Banff in an off-season sale for $70. I'm good-to-go for SES now!

I think these bibs look awesome-The Trewth Bib...pricey but nice.

Finally checked out Trew Gear. Thanks for sharing that - hadn't heard of them before. Looks nice, but pricey. With those kind of prices, their getting into Arc'Teryx territory, and there's a tough act to follow...

Flylow also make some pretty good stuf, but their aimed mostly at the tele croud, and nobody cares that you tele. :eplus2:

Recently a manager of a local board shop told me that a couples of few years ago Arc'Teryx went through a buy-out by a huge company (he said maybe it was Columbia?) and a couples of few of Arc designers left/got let go, and had been working w/ Burton. Apparently Burton's AK line is designed by the same guys that designed Arc'Teryx's stuff. If that means anythings to you... :biggthump

I haven't sprung for a pair of bibs yet but they hooked up some schwietzer locals (Selkirk Powder Company snow cats) with a pro deal last year. Bomber construction & heavy duty but relatively light. I checked out the bibs & jacket, material is super waterproof, made with minimal seams & feels good, all taped zips work easily with gloves. Everyone that scored trew gear was impressed with the quality & toughness of the material.

• 1 month later...

Recently a manager of a local board shop told me that a couples of few years ago Arc'Teryx went through a buy-out by a huge company (he said maybe it was Columbia?) and a couples of few of Arc designers left/got let go, and had been working w/ Burton. Apparently Burton's AK line is designed by the same guys that designed Arc'Teryx's stuff. If that means anythings to you... :biggthump

Interesting. I've had Arc pant before, loved the durability, hated the fit. I've never been less comfortable while riding or skiing than in those.

Got two full season out of AK (Stagger) pants, which for me is huge... I drag my heelside hip too much and body-brake too much as well :o I've gone through a fair few pair of pants in less than one season.

Thinking about some Patagonias this time around. The Rubicons look absolutely bomb-proof but they are kinda heavy and baggy... wanna see what the Powder Bowls look like as well. I'll either get one of those two models, or another pair of AK Staggers if anyone in town still carries them.

It's hard to find the right combination of durability, comfortable fit, useful pockets, and lack of side zippers.

Interesting. I've had Arc pant before, loved the durability, hated the fit. I've never been less comfortable while riding or skiing than in those.

Got two full season out of AK (Stagger) pants, which for me is huge... I drag my heelside hip too much and body-brake too much as well :o I've gone through a fair few pair of pants in less than one season.

Thinking about some Patagonias this time around. The Rubicons look absolutely bomb-proof but they are kinda heavy and baggy... wanna see what the Powder Bowls look like as well. I'll either get one of those two models, or another pair of AK Staggers if anyone in town still carries them.

It's hard to find the right combination of durability, comfortable fit, useful pockets, and lack of side zippers.

I find it interesting that you didn't like the fit of Arc pants - I find their fit to be the best. I *had* the Theta SV bibs and loved how they fit (but they were XL and I grew tired of how big they were on me, so I sold them on fleabay - so stupid - I *had* Arc'Teryx bibs, and now I don't, even if they were too big).

The AK Stagger pants - and jacket - are at the top of my wish list. I looked for some closeouts f/ last year, as this year's seem to be the same, but even at sale prices I didn't want to spend the coin right now on nice pants that I might blow up in a couple months. Great to know you got 2 seasons out of them - that's encouraging! So I got some left over Burton Cargo Pants. Burton told me the fabric is similar in durability to the AK line, just doesn't have Gore-Tex or other techy features. Anxious to see how these hold up.

Some of Bonfire's stuff has caught my eye too.

https://www.taigaworks.ca/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=161

heard here on BOL, bought taiga' avalanche bibs (older version, same as snow pants above but bib'ier:) - and they are great. newer version of avalanche seems flimsier, and price climbed high through 2 years, but overall - great durable pants

The tech spec's look great, but they are hideous! :eek:

:p

I wore Burton AK pants/jacket last season, but the 65 days on snow helped me drop so much weight that I need the next size smaller now. I really like the jacket-to-pants zipper interface even though it was a little clumsy to manipulate.

But, as fate would have it, I learned that Volcom has the patent on this zipper interface and they have forced Burton to cease and desist from using it. So the 2010-11 season AK stuff that is hitting the stores now no longer has the zipper. They just have snap closures, I think. For some reason Volcom is allowing Holden to use a zipper interface, but Holden's zipper isn't compatible with any others. Anyway, if you want AK stuff with the zipper thing, ya gotta buy old stock while it lasts.

The tech spec's look great, but they are hideous! :eek:

:p

not more than arc theta sv and lot of other. taiga - as I understand - made work clothing mostly, and it is nothing which I ever saw made sturdier than avalanche bibs (older version). no better photo than http://www.e1.ru/fun/photo/view_pic.php/o/e969f8c91cfccc6a8732cac3136bdaa7/view.pic