Note to New Members ×

Freeride setup

Zanci

Usually:

172 rockered Tanker

Burton P1 bindings

Burton Driver Xs

30ish front / 20ish rear

The Tanker is also my go to powder board for the deep days. It is great how far freeride boards have come in powder performance with the rockered designs. Just a couple of years ago, it was the rare board that could ride well in good powder, mixed conditions, and carve on groomers.

Rebecca has a nice little custom metal Coiler (154, 240w, 8.5m) with decambered nose and tail that she really likes for both softy carving and the in between days. She rides other boards in powder.

Is it snowing yet?

Deep days: 6" new plus. Definitely over 12"

Tanker 200cm/ 2003

F2 Ti SI / Flex

Angles; 65/60

Raicle AF 600 w Fin Tec, BTS red/blue, power straps

Tweener days: really soft groomers - 6" new

Coiler "Headhunter 200cm"

Bomber TD3 SW SI modded -70/65

same boots

Carver days:

Tinkler 185cm TNT , plate system

TD3 SW SI Modded - 70/65

Same

I don't know if I should ride hardboots or softboots on my new tanker.

If hardboots TD3 or F2 intec titanflex...

Probably the TD3 Sidewinders or F2, what is your weight? If you are light try the yellow elastomers in powder??

Intec only? Your choices are the F2s or the F2s

75kg with gear.

I don't have sidewinders.

Yeah, I got fintec heels...

And prefer the stepins so, TD3 stepins or F2 titanflex stepin

For pow, go with the F2 Intecs unless Fin gets the TD3 SW SI to market before winter.

Better feel in the soft snow with step in ease. IMO

I don't speak metric English 165.34669663875lbs

if you mean freeride as in FREERIDE - i.e. alps with uber-mixed conditions: donek axis 182 (yes, OLD axis - softened by years in use with rockered nose (due to usage too)) with razorsharp edges, f2 race ti, head stratos pro (modified, softened).

and swallowtails when powder-riding on local mountains. when I need to travel with only one board: i'll take 1 boots (hsp), 1-2 bindings (f2raceti), and 1-2 boards (donek axis182 always, pogo overdose for icy days - if possible)

so let's not mix powder & freeride ;) freeride is almost always is MIXED CONDITIONS.

sorry, angles: 55-48 on axis, 65-60 on overdose. i'm opposed to idea of low angles -- to much harm for neck vertebrae and head' blood supply in the long run (100+ days of riding)

Mig 180 (my own shape and specs)

Length: 180.5 cm

Waist: 26.5 cm

Sidecut: 8.95 m

Effective edge: 144 cm

Edge contact: 139 cm

Taper: 6 mm

Stance: 53.5 cm

Setback: 2, 4, or 6 cm

OR

Dupraz 6' D1++

with Burton Elevators

Stance: 54 cm

Boots: Burton Driver X

Bindings: Burton P1

Angles: 27° or 30° front - 9° or 12° back

Coiler AM 172, Raichle 224, Titanflex step-ins. I like the Titanflex just fine for all-purpose riding. I used an older version of that design without the flex lifter on my Tanker 200 (RIP) and it worked well. I've never used Bombers but my impression is they might be too stiff for what you want.

New boots and a board this year for this application.

Deeluxe 225 w/ Fintecs on TD3 step-ins with yellow elastomers. (I'm 215 lbs and 6'2")

I'm changing up my board this year. Sean is building the board described below for me. I gave him a wish list I'm thinking the board might be a little neurotic as I'm essentially asking for it to have multiple personailities :D.

"I’d like something like a fiberglass BX board to use as an all-mountain, goofing around ride. I don’t want to go metal because I’m thinking this board will get the hell beat out of it on weird landings etc.

I'm currently riding a 171cm 1994 Kelly Slopestyle for this type of riding but I find the board really heavy and the nose won't take anything above moderate speed carving and it really doesn't like it when I take it to steep groom.

Therefore I’m thinking non-metal, twin tipped to make it easy to ride switch, but maybe with a forward directional bias (appropriate taper?), I'd like the nose and tail to be decambered but a little more shovelly than my schtub to allow for better float in powder? Length should be around 165 (so I can spin it), with a 8-9M SCR, I’d like the waist to be at least 24.5cm so I can get my angles down to at least 45 or 50 degrees (I’m riding mondo 28 boots). My Sctub has a 21.5 cm and 13.4m SCR waist and I ride 60/60 on that. When I’m riding the board I want to be able to throw my weight forward and noseroll fairly easily into switch riding; my schtub is too stiff to easily allow this kind of move but then again the nose on that board hasn’t yet folded in a high speed carve. While I’m not looking for a board that will carve at high speeds it should still be able to carve respectably at normal (for softbooters) riding speeds."

I'll tell you once the snow starts flying how well this all works out.

Dave

192 Tanker 50f/45r Snowpro bindings. 162 Sims Daytona 45f/30r Snowpro bindings. Both about 19.75 stance width. 178 Oxygen split 38f/30r Bomber splitboard bindings-about the same stance width. Can you figure out why the difference on the angles? (hint, diferent uses) Pow gets the 185 Undertaker with Snowpro bindings and whatever angles I can achieve-proly 40ish front/20ish rear. Tanker may end up with the TD2/air ride conversion (TD3 bases-TD2 suspension kit)

currently

80% of my snow time is on free ride boards,

165 nidecker escape 21.5 waist

33*/48* Nitro stepins

167 24/7 kildyflex 25 waist

31*/47* nitro si

173 Identity am 25 waist

same

178 oxygen summit 25.6 waist

28*/44*

184 lib grocer 24 waist

32*/47*

All Nitro step-ins

Boots 27m 224 raichle with thermoflex for powder or nordica raceboot liners for hardpack & carving

or Blax 27.5m (same as head) for hardpack & alpine boards

Will stuff my thermos into some nos 26.5m raichle 225 & see how my toes take the squeeze, then I'll relax the Nidecker & alpine boards a couple degrees:)

for spring hikes,

165 nidecker with burton raceplate stepins and 27m Nordica SBH (AT)