Note to New Members ×

CATEK Update

To the alpine community:

I'd like to take the opportunity to update everyone regarding CATEK. We have been impacted over the past several months by a number of significant family/health issues. By necessity, these issues took first priority, but a very unfortunate side effect was that neither Scott or I were able to attend to the needs of CATEK's customers. So that's the bad part.

The good part is that CATEK is ready to go again. Scott is stepping aside for the time being, but I will be addressing all outstanding customer service issues in a 'Last In, First Out' order over the coming weeks. If you have time-sensitive needs, feel free to email hs@catek.com to jump to the top of the queue.

Thank you for your understanding.

Jeff Caron

CATEK

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LIFO makes it easier as they will be dealing with the last email that was sent instead of finding the first and tracing through the list to get to the last.

I have had several tragic events over the last couple weeks at work (NOT AT CATEK) and it is a struggle to even get through the day at times so getting any product out will be a huge hurdle.

Hope everything is going as well as it can.

Unless I misunderstood, Bora20 comments have nothing to do with Catek with the exception of his comment about LIFO.

Some on this board may misconstrue and think he is a Catek employee.

I am not a Catek employee, but I do know what it is like to have family emergencies and deaths of people close to you.

Show some compassion and let them catch up, it is summer...you can't board anyway. :D

We have had several tragic events over the last couple weeks at work and it is a struggle to even get through the day at times so getting any product out will be a huge hurdle.

This is where it seems like you are speaking on behalf of Catek. I'm sure Chris was just trying to clarify, nothing more.

:)

Thanks for that, we can never tell which direction threads will go. Ambiguity is quite dangerous around here. I've always had great respect for business owners that try to help the alpine rider, and Jeff Caron is one of the earliest adopters in that respect. He's been around a long time and I hope he will be around for years to come. I agree, give him some time to get things straightened out.

• 3 weeks later...

In the interest of commerce, convention, good will and diplomacy I would suggest patience and perhaps add you try to contact per his request at hs@cat mail.

You have your perogative, but you cannot imagine the public message is best served with more decorum and less ambiguity than merely punctuating your note with binding failure.

Since you have made us aware, what is the extent of the failure, or what factors lead you to determine either the design or material has failed it's intended purpose?

I don't work for catek, and I believe you really feel you'd been slighted...but I am sure you will find eventual solution to either your or caron's satisfaction only after he has had examined the product and received due opportunity to determine whether failure was mechanical or due to some user configuration/modification, typical to Alpine setup.

In the interest of commerce, convention, good will and diplomacy I would suggest patience and perhaps add you try to contact per his request at hs@cat mail.

You have your perogative, but you cannot imagine the public message is best served with more decorum and less ambiguity than merely punctuating your note with binding failure.

Since you have made us aware, what is the extent of the failure, or what factors lead you to determine either the design or material has failed it's intended purpose?

I don't work for catek, and I believe you really feel you'd been slighted...but I am sure you will find eventual solution to either your or caron's satisfaction only after he has had examined the product and received due opportunity to determine whether failure was mechanical or due to some user configuration/modification, typical to Alpine setup.

since you appear interested, a quick search revealed the original March 29, 2010 post from CaRtharsis

Well...I was hoping for a nice photo of a shear binding plate...that is much more exciting!!!!but a kingpin is an easy fix yea?

You likely shear it in two (especially if you use a type of alloy riser plate in conjunction with the catekset). If it were a choice for me I would find a drillpress and press a bigger hole for larger bolt and use longer 12/14mm stainless allen head bolt --why settle for the 10mm when a 12 or 14 would do? Of course, you will need a 12/14mm pivot bolt for capture... I think the old OS was 12mm??

But I could never wait for two year for a wee 10mm kingpin--that is a certain crime of itself even if the bolt and catek sticker is free! If you are a big robust boy to shear a 10mm on a stock setup, void that warranty sir, get your drillbit to your plate, and pray that your larger single bolt will hold!

Well...I was hoping for a nice photo of a shear binding plate...that is much more exciting!!!!but a kingpin is an easy fix yea?

You likely shear it in two (especially if you use a type of alloy riser plate in conjunction with the catekset). If it were a choice for me I would find a drillpress and press a bigger hole for larger bolt and use longer 12/14mm stainless allen head bolt --why settle for the 10mm when a 12 or 14 would do? Of course, you will need a 12/14mm pivot bolt for capture... I think the old OS was 12mm??

But I could never wait for two year for a wee 10mm kingpin--that is a certain crime of itself even if the bolt and catek sticker is free! If you are a big robust boy to shear a 10mm on a stock setup, void that warranty sir, get your drillbit to your plate, and pray that your larger single bolt will hold!

I'm not sure, are you a fan of Catek or not? ;)

So; a part of a binding breaks, the company doesn't respond for two years despite multiple communication attempts, so obviously it's the end user's fault and he should modify his bindings, void his warranty, and generally be happy about the situation? Sounds a little off to me...