Note to New Members ×

ebay and distorted realities

kieran

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You see that a lot. An ebay dealer (often pawn shop) does too little research and comes up with a silly price.

The Video is classic. He messures them, doesnt mention they are fully adjustable and mentions nothing about the built-in cant plates. but they come with a leash... that is broken.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230753281417&ssPageName=ADME:B:BOC:US:1123

Beavis and Butt Head Snowboard for 9,000.00 $$

USED with scratches!!

I have a brand new in the plastic version I will sell for half that.:)

Oh great, I'l buy both of them. With two I could start a collection of them. As I acquire more, I could control the price and in a few years they would be going for $20,000 ea :D

I could store them with the five thousand cabbage patch dolls I'm controlling the market with.

The thing about reserve prices that puzzles me is that if the reserve price is say $300 a la Tex, current bidder's max bid is $250 and I set a max bid of $350, the high bid then goes up to $251 or whatever. If there are no more bidders after me, no one wins the auction. Even if I raise my max bid. At least, I think I've had this happen. Can anyone confirm or offer contrary experience? If true it seems like a bug--ebay leaving something on the table. Willing seller and willing buyer don't get connected, ebay doesn't collect the hefty fees (more if you have a reserve price).

The thing about reserve prices that puzzles me is that if the reserve price is say $300 a la Tex, current bidder's max bid is $250 and I set a max bid of $350, the high bid then goes up to $251 or whatever. If there are no more bidders after me, no one wins the auction. Even if I raise my max bid. At least, I think I've had this happen. Can anyone confirm or offer contrary experience? If true it seems like a bug--ebay leaving something on the table. Willing seller and willing buyer don't get connected, ebay doesn't collect the hefty fees (more if you have a reserve price).
my experience has been that if you make a bid above the reserve price, the current bid becomes what the reserve price was set at.

Reserve is a tricky balance. Too high = kills the "Auction Fever" effect. Too low = fail to protect your value.

The art is picking a reserve low enough to insure you don't loose too much without killing the buzz.

Tex. If this were my auction. I would have a starting price at 75 to 90$, Buy Now at high price of 299 or 349. Well above the going market price. Shipping of 30$.

If it of course your auction. Get the game started by envolving as many bidders as possible. You need a carrot to get it going. That carrot is a price below market value.

Good luck in your sale.

Reserve is a tricky balance. Too high = kills the "Auction Fever" effect. Too low = fail to protect your value.

The art is picking a reserve low enough to insure you don't loose too much without killing the buzz.

Tex. If this were my auction. I would have a starting price at 75 to 90$, Buy Now at high price of 299 or 349. Well above the going market price. Shipping of 30$.

If it of course your auction. Get the game started by envolving as many bidders as possible. You need a carrot to get it going. That carrot is a price below market value.

Good luck in your sale.

Bryan, it's up to $100 bid at this point with 4 unique bidders. Would you reccomend dropping the reserve to get some excitement? or just let it ride out. If I do that the BIN goes away.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is one you guys might enjoy watching. MINT BB1 , currently at 6200$ , reserve not met.

This one looks too good. If it wasn't one of Jake's personal boards I would be suspect. Too perfect.

What a beauty. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300681544091post-198-14184236552_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Here is one you guys might enjoy watching. MINT BB1 , currently at 6200$ , reserve not met.

This one looks too good. If it wasn't one of Jake's personal boards I would be suspect. Too perfect.

What a beauty. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300681544091[ATTACH]30248[/ATTACH]

Sold for 11,200$ A pretty penny, however it is without a doubt the nicest bb1 I have seen. I have seen them offered BIN for over 20K. That seems way overpriced. In comparison, this is a good value.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This is a sad one. All those people who thought they were getting a good guitar from Home Shopping Network. They come up all the the time on ebay. The link is for completed listings. http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&LH_Complete=1&_udlo=&_udhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=10&_fpos=&_fsct=&LH_SALE_CURRENCY=0&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_nkw=Esteban+esteban+guitar&_pgn=3&_skc=100&rt=nc

• 5 months later...