Note to New Members ×

ebay and distorted realities

kieran

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Naw, a savvy person could snipe it for 280K. So Bryan, what's it *really* worth?

Hi Galen, this small niche market takes some wild swings. However, I can tell you that within the past couple years the range has been between 4000 and 12000$ As recent as 4 or 5 years ago they could be purchased in the 1500 to 2500 range. The 12,000.$ sale has not been confirmed. Allot of what you see on Ebay is posturing and flat out deception. It has become fairly typical for someone to post a super high BIN just to bring in real buyers to work with them off ebay ("Fee Avoidance"). Dennis N of SaltyPeaks had one up for 20K a while back. Not sure if it sold or not. This is the star of most Burton collections though. In the small collector circle it is a big fish.

Thanks Bryan. From what you say vintage SB's are approaching they're "Stupid Money" age, much like guitars starting in the late 80's. Alot of the guitars that were considered "undesirable" by collectors (anything later the 1968) are now selling for well over 10 times of what you could get them for in the early-mid 80's....or at least would be if the economy did'nt suck so bad. You should have a nice SS supplement later on. Unless of course everyone is working at McDonalds, Walmart or customer service phone banks by then.;)

Well said Galen. Having been involved for many years, I have watched the ebb and flow. Currently there are great values in some of the groups. Much less than they once were. As can be expected , those boards that were a part of the most popular brands (there-fore touching more people) have become the most sought after. Demographics and timing of the "Reliving the good ole days" period are key. I hope that once the addition is done and my favorites are all in their place, I can "sell down" the collection to at least recover some of the capital expenditures needed to create it. I look forward to years of being surrounded by the historic boards. It will be hard to decide what makes it to the walls. :biggthump

It has been a long strange trip from the days of hanging out , drinking beer , in the garage with a dozen boards on the wall!!

The mood is the same and I look forward to having a cool place to enjoy with friends and family.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220802436925&ssPageName=ADME:B:ONA:US:1123

Pretty reasonable considering how fragile yet advanced these are.

Extremely significant snowboard for well under a 1000$ delivered.

A bargain in comparision. Down from 5 years ago when it would be hard to score one for under 1000$ in this condition. Go figure.

I had the green swallow with the epoxy nubs for traction and the cordura bindings that ripped apart when you laid it over... I eventually t-bolted the rigid highbacks from my Performer to the board and got three solid seasons out of it.Never saw it again after I left it and all kinds of great old school board and bmx stuff in a rented basement and took off on a trip to 'find myself' from which I didn't return for 17 years....

I had the green swallow with the epoxy nubs for traction and the cordura bindings that ripped apart when you laid it over... I eventually t-bolted the rigid highbacks from my Performer to the board and got three solid seasons out of it.Never saw it again after I left it and all kinds of great old school board and bmx stuff in a rented basement and took off on a trip to 'find myself' from which I didn't return for 17 years....

Hi Steve.

Not sure if this will make you feel better or worse. The ST you refer to was much newer than this dark blue early WS. Your's was likely made by Milo sports. Approx current value is in the 350$ to 550$ range.

http://cgi.ebay.com/SNOWBOARD-CHALLENGE-NINTENDO-NES-RARE-PAL-EXCLUSIVE-/320718606266?pt=Video_Games_Games&hash=item4aac518fba

A 990 US dollar bid gets things started!! Plus shipping of course.

If this sells in Spain, I would offer a similar one for the same price and then deliver it in person. :)

post-198-141842345467_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

990 for a game I should dig out some of my old Amstrad CPC :1luvu: cassettes I guess . . . as for domain names when I saw that offer for this "snowboardslist.com" ****ty domain name this reminds me that "snowboard.com" is also out there as in unused ever since that huge community has just gone offline . . . should keep an eye out for this one to show up on ebay maybe :eek:

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
sold one to a good friend for 250 a couple years back.

I still have a NOS on display.

Good for your friend! I've seen them sell around 800 on ebay, not even NOS, just mint condition.

Mine is proudly on the wall, still waiting for a more then epic day to come out.

Good for your friend! I've seen them sell around 800 on ebay, not even NOS, just mint condition.

Mine is proudly on the wall, still waiting for a more then epic day to come out.

I bought several while on a trip to Mammoth. Tight fit in the gondola!!

After giving it a couple days of pow, I offered it to a guy that has been very generous to me in the past. He has probably a dozen boards that I have flowed to him at cost. Low cost:) Including two burners, bunch of tankers, numerous race boards and a Tinkler. Win- Win. My friends tend to benefit from my appetite for high end board gear :) My guess is yours do too!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...