Note to New Members ×

Unobtanium, obtained, well sorta

Bruce Varsava

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah... good photos... not taken from across the room showing the whole freekin board. We already know what the thing looks like on a macro scale. Tight cropping of the actual workings. How the pins are glassed (composited?) into the body of the plate.

Yeah, and... how exactly does it work?

Stiff plate, hinge in back, slider in front. It isolates longitudinal board flex and boot canting variation during a turn, allowing for more precise steering inputs from the rider and a smoother bend of the board without binding dead spots. Somebody really should make a 4X4 adapter plate. But that would negate the flex pattern advantage.

rumor was 1000$ next season....

Stiff plate, hinge in back, slider in front. It isolates longitudinal board flex and boot canting variation during a turn, allowing for more precise steering inputs from the rider and a smoother bend of the board without binding dead spots.

Yeah, I observed that too, along with everyone who is now building home-brew versions out of old/broken boards and cutting boards, etc. But the pre-Olympics video about Apex implied there is more going on than meets the eye, and that you couldn't reproduce it from a photo.

rumor was 1000$ next season....

I'm out.

Bruce looked pretty good on his new Apex clad NSR yesterday at the Basin. Rumor has it that he is here in Colorado to throw down and school it in the old man division. Take a good look at the long nose of the Apex plate, Bruce has been screwing around with different bumpers at different positions that acts like a sprung force multiplier (lever) that gives the nose of the board a different feel depending on where the bumper is placed. Fit and finish on the plate is definately not what I would expect from a $1000+ piece of carbon fiber bling bling but its performance is undeniable. As far as the inner working of the plate go, there is really not much mystery there, it is a pretty simple piece that is a new spin (carbon fiber) on a much tried and tested design with a captured end and a floating end much like a Hangle.

Think Snow!

.... the pre-Olympics video about Apex implied there is more going on than meets the eye, and that you couldn't reproduce it from a photo....

I recall reading/hearing somewhere that a big part of the magic is getting the 'to-the-board' attachment locations placed in just the right spots. This would be dependant on the board specifics, rider weight and riding characteristics, etc. If getting the plate anchored at the best points (fore-aft and center-to-center) is critical for a specific board... I would think where the pins get located in the plate would have some adjustability. However, from what I've been able to reverse engineer/deduce from limited detail photos is that the apex plate pins are in fixed locations in the composite undersurface.

Think of a long 2x4 on a pair of sawhorses. Imagine now placing a whole lot of small sandbags uniformly along the entire length of the 2x4. Now lets move the sawhorses around a bit. If the sawhorses are closely spaced near the center of the 2x4 the ends will curve down and the center will curve up. If the sawhorses are very widely spaced (close to the ends of the 2x4) the center will curve down and the ends curve up. If the sawhorses are placed about 1/3 of the way in from each end... the center will curve down AND the ends will curve down. This is a very crude example to illustrate why the plate attachment locations are very important. Of course, our stance widths (and plate mountings) do not span the extremes of this example, but the underlying principle applies. This additionally holds, even considering that a board's stiffness is typically not uniform along its length the way a 2x4 is. Board builders design the stiffness distribution of boards to be a series of compromises based on an expectation of rider stance width, weight, agressiveness, board purpose, etc.

Perhaps "Plate Specific" or "Plate Only" boards are on the near horizon. They may well already be here, but I'm too isolated to know!

Oh, well.... so much blabber... now must get up and get to work.

Brad Vircks..... the other BV

If the sawhorses are placed about 1/3 of the way in from each end...

Good points. That reminds me of a tidbit I remember from high school physics class - that the optimum point on a bat to hit a baseball is 1/3 of the bat's length away from the tip; doing so minimizes vibration in your hands.

it is a pretty simple piece that is a new spin (carbon fiber) on a much tried and tested design with a captured end and a floating end much like a Hangle.

Do you mean Vist? I thought Hangl plates only went under each foot? Or is there a version that spans the two feet, like Vist?

I think the Apex, Karl, etc approach is a step forward from Vist/Hangl. It seems like there would be less friction resisting the motion of the plate. Also it seems like it wouldn't affect the flex or dampness characteristics of the board.

Bruce, how does she ride?

Plate specific boards - I always wondered whether a board shouldn´t be designed differently if you know that a plate is put on it. It would only be logical as the plate influences the board characteristics (at least the current generation ;)).

Of course at the moment boards work with as well as without the plate (I tried it on my Kesslers), but if you want the "perfect" setup then it should be taken into consideration while building a board.

I know that my Apex (which can only be used with their plate system) is specifically designed for plate use. A non-plate version (with which they are playing around at the moment) also needs modifications to the board ...

This is getting really confusing with two companies named Apex in the same market. Aren't there international laws about that?

:lol: ... you are absolutely right!

In my mails I started to refer to the Canadian company as Apex Composites and the other company I call Apex Austria ...

And there is also a ski boot company called Apex ... maybe even more will come up :rolleyes: ...

While experimenting with a system, all I heard was,"they are too heavy". :freak3:

Does anyone know the actual weight's (total weight with hardware) of the different Plate Systems available?

Apex=

Hangl=

Vist=

HFP=

Others=

Thanks-jp1