Note to New Members ×

Metal board for a not-very-good rider?

zoltan

I've been riding hard boots for a couple years and am still have problems with my form and technique. While I learn a little more every year, it's slow going (fun though). Currently I'm usually on steeper greens and mellow blues, and the last time I was on a black, I ended up shooting off the trail into the trees. My current board is a F2 Silberpfeil, and it's the only alpine board I've owned. Over the past several years I've seem the development of metal boards, and now with decambered shapes, and, of course, everyone saying how excellent they are. The Silberpfeil is a little too narrow for me, so I'm slowly looking at getting another board.

Is it worth the money for a not-very-good rider like myself to buy one of the new breed of decambered metal boards, or would it just be wasted on someone like me, especially considering my slow rate of progression?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been riding hard boots for a couple years and am still have problems with my form and technique. While I learn a little more every year, it's slow going (fun though). Currently I'm usually on steeper greens and mellow blues, and the last time I was on a black, I ended up shooting off the trail into the trees. My current board is a F2 Silberpfeil, and it's the only alpine board I've owned. Over the past several years I've seem the development of metal boards, and now with decambered shapes, and, of course, everyone saying how excellent they are. The Silberpfeil is a little too narrow for me, so I'm slowly looking at getting another board.

Is it worth the money for a not-very-good rider like myself to buy one of the new breed of decambered metal boards, or would it just be wasted on someone like me, especially considering my slow rate of progression?

I think it would be a good idea.

the easiest riding boards I've ridden have been a coiler stubby, kessler SL and prior wcr metal. all metal. even the coiler NSR 182 was really forgiving.

just talk to the builder and make sure you get the one that's right for you. I was on a metal board that I demoed that the flex was wrong for me and it was almost unridable but I assume it's because I weigh 130lb more than the board was built for.

I agree. After my first two years on an Alp and Ultra Prime, I picked up a metal Coiler All Mountain. The difference is almost unbelievable. My Coiler grips so much better. Everything about it allows me to push harder, ride faster and have way more fun. It allowed me to progress from a skidder to a carver over night. I have no regrets with the metal Coiler purchase.

I'm pretty much in the same place as you, improving, but very slowly.

I do think metal AND the new school shapes are worth looking into. They make carving easier for most folks. Bobdea is right though, having the correct flex for you is super important, even in a metal board. My last board was a metal race board, but it was also stiffer than any of the glass boards that I've owned, which kind of defeated the purpose of having metal.

I wonder what Bruce at Coiler would come up with if someone approached him for a custom board and said "I'm a beginner, and I basically stink--build me a board!" I'm sure he would nail it, but it feels weird to be a beginner and go custom--almost like you haven't paid your dues yet.

Good luck. I think there are a lot of great, metal options out there for you.

Definitely you need one of my metal boards or else I don't even understand how you can get down the hill:lol:

Actually the real issue is suitability and the metal IMO is the icing on the cake. It does allow for a quicker progression but even suitable glass boards can ride very well and help progression. Production boards can be all over the place in regards to stiffness, thats where the skill of a reputable builder comes in as they can use their skills to make it right. When someone mentions steep and shooting off into the woods, I immediately think too stiff!

Just got word my Titanal is ready for pick up, WOOHOO back in business!

BV

I'm not looking for a board to do everything, just a board strictly for groomers.

ok -- well the 4X4 does that but if you really want just Groomers then I take back what I said and would say buy Prior's new FLC... I also have that one in a 173 and it loves groomers. eats them up -- green, blue or black... it has it.:biggthump

A metal board will definitely help you. I just switch with a Coiler this season. I'm progressing slowly too so I know how you feel. The metal board really soften the ride, definitely less chatter so I felt less nervous to push my technique a little more aggressive.

Some one else described a similar situation in another thread. I was riding through what looked like some chopped up snow but when I went down the mountain I didn't really feel it was choppy at all and felt confident going down the run. At the end of the run my wife (on a none metal board) said the run was rough and pretty bad.

I'm not looking for a board to do everything, just a board strictly for groomers.

Where in MD/PA has well-groomed trails? I hit WT/Wisp/Liberty this season and if you are not riding before 10 on weekend, most of trails get cruds and bumps due to so many ppls in the region. That's why I got Prior 4WD for just for this region and am happy about. But if it is well-groomed trail, your F2 will rocks. Want to Trade?

Whitetail before 10:30, and Roundtop before noon. I'm there for first chair, and gone by the time crowds arrive.

Then, let's meet sometime next season and try my 4WD. I may bring a newer metal/decambered deck with me. Hasn't decide yet but leaning toward the same but longer one that C5 Golfer has if FLC reviews are up. :)

Zoltan, custom board = so completely worth the money!!!! :biggthump:biggthump:biggthump And metal is awesome! :1luvu:

For a lightweight like me, custom was the only really good option, and my Coiler Schtubbette has opened SOoooo many doors for me. If you have the money to spend, I absolutely recommend getting on Bruces' build list asap! I told him I was a beginner and basically sucked - just please make it easy to ride! He didn't even laugh at me (at least not in his emails! :)) And the board just totally rocks! Like Allee told me, Coilers all come with a can of instant rock star! ;)

If you are in the more common weight range, you might be able to come up with something used if you're not into spending the money on new/custom....

I briefly dabbled in kiteboarding. The instructor told me that the sport and the equipment were evolving so fast and that a beginner really needed the newer (& more expensive) equipment.

Alpine snowboarding may be on a similar evolution - but just a bit farther along. I started the sport on and older used board & struggled. I had Bruce build a board to suit my weight & ability and I too was able to progress much faster.

If you are serious about the sport, make a point of getting a board tailored for your weight.

Metal wont instantly make you a better rider, but they are soo friendly they give you the confidence to relax and focus on your "problem" areas;) Also, for an average rider like me they make less then optimal conditions much more ridable. The only down side is you wont be able to blame your setup anymore.:lol:

In general the metals are way easier to ride. We can make them softer longitudinally, so it's easier to flex the board and get it to turn. The vaiable sidecut gives you the ability to make subtle changes in turn radius without even thinking about it. A metal will help you get to the next level.

I'm with C5 on this. Waste of money at this point. I own a Volkl and it's a damn fine board. I also own a metal Coiler. The Coiler is my go-to board but it doesn't make me a better rider.

Work on technique. If you can find a qualified instructor, one day of lessons, even just pointers would be a better use of your money.

With regard to trusting equipment, I've folded the nose on every board I own except my old, beat up Prior 4WD so C5 might be onto something.

If you plan to buy new board, why not to buy board which is easier to ride and that way gives you confidence to try and push more.

But it wont make you better rider right away, but very fast ;)

If you ride all the time in perfect conditions on perfect surface, then glass is good option :D

If you plan to buy new board, why not to buy board which is easier to ride and that way gives you confidence to try and push more.

But it wont make you better rider right away, but very fast ;)

If you ride all the time in perfect conditions on perfect surface, then glass is good option :D

That sort of reasoning sells a lot of golf clubs. Meanwhile, the club pro is twiddling his thumbs instead of giving lessons.

Case in point, I thought I was one hell of a skier. I always check off "Advanced/Expert" on the rental forms <G>. Then, this season, I spent 4 days skiing with a Level 4 instructor. Holy sh*t, Batman! Did I ever have faults in my technique. At the end of the 4 days, I was skiing at a whole different level.

Now, I just gotta find someone to help me with snowboarding.

Look, take it from a gear whore. I have 10-12 snowboards. I'm always looking for "The One". But the problem is not with the gear. It's me.

Late Edit: I don't mean to say metal won't make a difference. It certainly will for an intermediate, advanced rider. I absolutely believe it. But, it sounds like the OP is having a technique problem and he needs to solve that before going shopping.

I've seen my own eyes rapid progress after my wife switched to metal ones so this is not just regular mambo-jambo, and progress comes directly from trust to board.

c890696f8fcct.jpg

I dont know monkies about skies (and even less bout golf stuff) but i have impression that on skis Expert stuff is tougher to ski than basic stuff. On boards metal ones are easier than glass, if board is built correct way and for correct rider weight.