Note to New Members ×

Question for ski parents?

Keenan

Next season I'll be introducing my daughter to snowsports, so I need to learn to ski again. At 5' 8" and 180 lbs. and not having skied for 11 years I have no idea what kind, or size of skis to look for. I know that I will rarely be using poles and will be on the bunny hill most of the time with her on a harness, but I would like some planks versatile enough so I could make a few runs on my own (will probably be trading off bunny hill time with my wife). Does anyone have some suggestions?

when I went back to skis to teach my son I took a cue from the kids instructors and got twin tips - you're most likely going to learn to ski backwards in front of them. I used K2 public enemies, but any park/pipe ski would work for that purpose...

But turny slalom skis will be more fun if you get that carving feeling every once in a while.

I personally used skis with my first child then eventually skiboards with my next two and for turny, slow speed, carving, switch the skiboards were great. In addition I can use my snowboard boots on them, so no going back to the car to change when the kids are tired of learning. Hopping between gear is a breeze. Smaller gear to carry, esp. when you have a bunch of kids stuff to take along. And you can still support Fin since the top skiboard binding is Bomber.

You're going to get weird looks but no different than when you're on carving board:eek:

Next season I'll be introducing my daughter to snowsports, so I need to learn to ski again. At 5' 8" and 180 lbs. and not having skied for 11 years I have no idea what kind, or size of skis to look for. I know that I will rarely be using poles and will be on the bunny hill most of the time with her on a harness, but I would like some planks versatile enough so I could make a few runs on my own (will probably be trading off bunny hill time with my wife). Does anyone have some suggestions?

Keenan, I had the same concerns. I had not been on skis for over 15 years, so I had no idea how I would do. I bought some Elan 160's that are super turny. I'm embarrassed to say this, but I actually have fun on them.:o

The first few times I was not using poles with my kids, but my son has progressed enough where I can use poles now or actually switch back to my board.

prepared for quad burn after a day of snowplowing

I saw this coming when I went to teach my kids years ago. I went to the local Play-It-Again Sports store that has a collection of used low end ski equipment and bought a pair of really short straight beater skis for almost nothing. Kids could ski over them without me being concerned. I could do a wide snowplow all day and not hurt. If I wanted to ski by myself I'd just hop onto my good skis. Why pay any more than a few bucks for something that will get very little use and requires almost no performance?

Cool info! My daughter isn't crawling yet but she'll be on skis in a couple of years. My wife has some old snowblades but I want to try skiing again. I want something that can carve fairly tight radii and still work on ice, these reviews will help!

I use Metron 10 164 to teach my son. Love them, they carve like demons. Heavy, though. I mouve the bindings as far forward as they would go. It makes it easier to ski switch and they carve better that way.

Before, for couple of years of teaching the kids camp, age 3-12, I used Head C140 163. They are intermediate skis with lot of shape and "umph" to them. They are surprisingly good for advanced skiing. Same deal, bindings all the way forward.

Elan Magfire 10, or whatever the newest reincarnation is called, is an amazing allround ski.

The snowblade approach makes a lot of sense on paper, but I wouldn't do it because I want to serve as an example for my kids and be on the same type of equipment as they are.
Here's the scenario if you go the snowlerblade route:

Some Other 4 Year-Old to your daughter: "Is that your Dad on Snowlerblades?"

Your Daughter: "Yes, that's my Daddy."

Other Kid: "Where's your other Daddy?" - Not that there's anything wrong with two Daddies! :rolleyes:

Get some skis. Learn to ski again. Its fun.

Teehee.